Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I totally disagree - I would NEVER demand that ANYONE give up their moral beliefs -

If the only game in town was a religious clinic (and they do not believe in abortions) I would NEVER require them to perform the abortion

Let the person seeking the abortion go somewhere else
that's easier said than done.

What if the person is rural and there really isn't very many places available to go. The only other option to "go someplace else" leaves the only option something that is unsafe.. etc.

Their refusal to perform something that is allowed by law based on someone's personal belief .. and something that they are choosing for themselves, not for someone else, would have lead to the potential diasaster that could arise if such services were denied..

THAT is why they can't deny the service if they are the only one available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I did not say that..

If there are NO OTHER OPTIONS all no other equal alternatives for someone to go, say for an abortion, in their town, city or area.. then yes, they should..

IF there are two clinics..say one is catholic and one isn't.. one doesn't believe in abortion the other has no problems performing one.. and a person walks into the catholic clinic and wants an abortion, then the catholic clinic should be able to refer them to the clinic B taht does..

So long as teh quality of care in both is equal.
Wtf?
Legally gay people should be allowed to be married.
I would not force any religion to condone it, or make them perform the ceremony.
Legally abortion is available.
I would not force any dr or hospital to perform them. Most of the time abortion is akin to a nose job --- it is, after all an elective procedure. There is no life or death involved, and to suggest that drs and hospitals ought to ignore their opinion on abortion is wrong.
As to adoption....I adopted and guess what? There are agencies that would not work with me because I was the wrong brand of Christianity (apparently they consider catholicism as being just about paganism). Did they discriminate against me based on that? Sure. But since they are private agencies they can do that, and I will support their desire to do so. But as a result, they won't receive charity from me!

We are the USA, and like it or not, people have the right to follow their privately held convictions. Sometimes those convictions will agree with yours, other times not so much.....
Deal with it.
If I can't get an abortion from St Deductible, I can't (btw, they will perform them to save a womans life) If Fred Phelps church doesn't want to perform gay marriages, then they won't. If adoption agencies won't let gays/catholics/jews/single women/people over 45/people under 30 and/or fat people adopt, then those are their rules -- and those are all real examples of things that can and will exclude potential adoptive parents from a lot of agencies.

Now, all that said....abortion is legal. Noone is forced to get one, and no one is forced to perform one. Adoption is legal. All privately owned agencies have their own requirements, some may seem fairer then others, but in the end they will all exclude somebody for arbitrary reasons. Gay marriage was legal. No churches would ever have been forced to perform the ceremonies. However, legally those two people would be wed. What is the problem with any of that? None that I can see.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
that's easier said than done.

What if the person is rural and there really isn't very many places available to go. The only other option to "go someplace else" leaves the only option something that is unsafe.. etc.

Their refusal to perform something that is allowed by law based on someone's personal belief .. and something that they are choosing for themselves, not for someone else, would have lead to the potential diasaster that could arise if such services were denied..

THAT is why they can't deny the service if they are the only one available.
Have you ever been someplace 'rural'? For christs sake, it isn't like they are four days drive from civilization. I assure you, birth control of all kinds have made its way to the boonies.....and those that are condemned to the living hell of the wilderness do actually have access to cars (as oppossed to hitchin' up the wagon) that would get them to an abortion clinic in the 'big city'....you know, the place they go regularily for shopping, socializing, school and/or work.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I assure you, birth control of all kinds have made its way to the boonies.....
lol this made me laugh so hard!, very funny.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been someplace 'rural'? For christs sake, it isn't like they are four days drive from civilization. I assure you, birth control of all kinds have made its way to the boonies.....and those that are condemned to the living hell of the wilderness do actually have access to cars (as oppossed to hitchin' up the wagon) that would get them to an abortion clinic in the 'big city'....you know, the place they go regularily for shopping, socializing, school and/or work.
And what if the state is primarily conservative.. which a lot of places tend to be..

Then everyone excercises their right NOT to give out birth control or perform abortions..

there are plenty of places where this could and would occur.

And to answer your question.. my mom lives in rural Montana.. so I know rural

And teenagers may not have access to vehicles.. in states where they can get an abortion without parental permission.. FYI

Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
And what if the state is primarily conservative.. which a lot of places tend to be..

Then everyone excercises their right NOT to give out birth control or perform abortions..

And teenagers may not have access to vehicles.. in states where they can get an abortion without parental permission.. FYI

And, what if the sun does not come up in the morning!

For crying out loud TM - get real!

Your arguments are, IMO, absolutely absurd! Typical leftist crap

Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I live in a red state surrounded by red states and I assure you birth control and abortions are available to one and all.
Also, I have yet to meet a teenager in a small town without access to a car. Good god they let teens drive as young as 14 to school and back.
And if they didn't have a car, and their boyfriend didn't have a car and their friends didn't have cars then there is always the greyhound bus. These kids do not stay in the sticks every day of the year. Every weekend is spent going to the 'city'.
As to getting an abortion without parental notification to that I will add my real life situation.......I was 29 and had a missed miscarriage (baby died but did not self'abort') I had to have a d&c. As a result of the d&c I had developed Ashermans Syndrome. I was 29, educated woman and my obgyn refused to take my symptoms seriously. It took over a year and three obgyns when I finally found one that understood what had happened. My fertility is forever compromised because of this. So, whenever I hear the 'joys' of no parental notification all I see is the potential for a teen to lose her fertility forever because she didnot understand the potential complications of a d&c and as a young teenager would not be able to talk to a gyn about any complications she noticed after surgery.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, what if the sun does not come up in the morning!

For crying out loud TM - get real!

Your arguments are, IMO, absolutely absurd! Typical leftist crap
LOL. yeah.. no more absurd then the many hypothetical arguments you use.. LOL...

that's like the pot calling the kettle black.. what a joke..LOL

Come on. we all know thatthere are many many states that have a strong population with a strong religious culture and shoudl they be given the choice to perform an abortion or give out birth control they would probably choose not too.

And I go back to my original point. If there are facilities of equal quality/ accesability that offer what a religious orginization refuse to offer then fine..

If not, they should provide it .. period..

And.. in that circumstance, if my scenario doesn't come to pass then all will be happy... because there WILL be someone that would provide it and there willb e access so the person that doesn't won't have too.. a win win if you ask me.. So then what's the problem?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I live in a red state surrounded by red states and I assure you birth control and abortions are available to one and all.
Also, I have yet to meet a teenager in a small town without access to a car. Good god they let teens drive as young as 14 to school and back.
And if they didn't have a car, and their boyfriend didn't have a car and their friends didn't have cars then there is always the greyhound bus. These kids do not stay in the sticks every day of the year. Every weekend is spent going to the 'city'.

WEll.. driving at 14 is not neccesarily legal.. atleast not in any state I know of. As for "Greyhound bus" again.. my mom lives in Rural MT.. no public transportation whatsoever. And not all teenagers have cars

I don't know if currently instutitions/individuals can refuse. i would imagine it's a state to state thing.
Anyway.. in my scenario it probably would not come to pass, as I'm sure there is someone somewhere that may or would. .. and if that were the case than those that wouldn't want to perform such things wouldn't have to because there is other access.. BUT .. in the instance that there might not be,well then that person would. It would probably be rare but it's a "safety" net against back alley abortions due to refusal of service and lack of access.. IMO

As to getting an abortion without parental notification to that I will add my real life situation.......I was 29 and had a missed miscarriage (baby died but did not self'abort') I had to have a d&c. As a result of the d&c I had developed Ashermans Syndrome. I was 29, educated woman and my obgyn refused to take my symptoms seriously. It took over a year and three obgyns when I finally found one that understood what had happened. My fertility is forever compromised because of this. So, whenever I hear the 'joys' of no parental notification all I see is the potential for a teen to lose her fertility forever because she didnot understand the potential complications of a d&c and as a young teenager would not be able to talk to a gyn about any complications she noticed after surgery.
I wasn't neccesarily starting an argument for or against parental consent.. just bringing up an example of someone that may not have the ability to gain access outside of their local area is all..

Althought that might be a good thread topic.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
LOL. yeah.. no more absurd then the many hypothetical arguments you use.. LOL...
Nope - I have only used / related real and practical arguments - Unlike you

Fact is - if someone does not want to perform abortions - so be it. The "patient" can go somewhere else.

It is called FREEDOM TM - FREEDOM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies