Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times

Advertisements

While your at it get rid of free speech and free press why stop their. :-)
I think it's in the first amendment so people like the poster dont have the power over the individuals religious beliefs. To vote based on your religion can be just as bad a person who votes for a person because they talk good or promise change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM

64 posts, read 131,093 times
Quote:
Isnt' the danger of religion too apparent now?

Look at all the people who put rationality under the rug and vote based on their superstitious, primitive beliefs. How can this be healthy for a society? If we are to evolve shouldn't we at last stamp out the more crude, backwards religions like southern baptist, etc?

Not to mention all the irrational hatred religion creates towards gays and minorities.
Exactly what minorities suffer under religion in America. Are you kidding!! Those black southern baptists must really hate themselves. Give me a break. This is by far the most delusional and ignorant post I have ever had the displeasure to read. If you are serious, then it really shows how fascist and radical the Left has become in this country. You are willing to practice the ultimate intolerance in the name of tolerance. If anything needs to be banned, it is you.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn72 View Post
Exactly what minorities suffer under religion in America. Are you kidding!! Those black southern baptists must really hate themselves. Give me a break. This is by far the most delusional and ignorant post I have ever had the displeasure to read. If you are serious, then it really shows how fascist and radical the Left has become in this country. You are willing to practice the ultimate intolerance in the name of tolerance. If anything needs to be banned, it is you.

I'm suffering as a minority under religion. I'm an Atheist and I'm sick and tired of the CHURCHES trampling MY beliefs (or lack there-of, really). Minority doesn't mean strictly race... it it anyone who is underrepresented and smaller than the majority.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm suffering as a minority under religion. I'm an Atheist and I'm sick and tired of the CHURCHES trampling MY beliefs (or lack there-of, really). Minority doesn't mean strictly race... it it anyone who is underrepresented and smaller than the majority.
Answer the question! How are you suffering? What right has been denied you in this so called theocracy. The reverse could easily be said for a christian. So not getting your feelings hurt is a right now. Grow up, live and let live. No one is forcing you to go to church or become a christian, muslim or anything else. You seem to simply hate people with a different opinion then your own.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Answer the question! How are you suffering? What right has been denied you in this so called theocracy. The reverse could easily be said for a christian. So not getting your feelings hurt is a right now. Grow up, live and let live. No one is forcing you to go to church or become a christian, muslim or anything else. You seem to simply hate people with a different opinion then your own.

Well, let's see... I'm underrepresented in the court system, there has been only ONE unitarian/atheist/agnostic to ever be elected to congress/senate/supreme judiciary system. Polls constantly state that Atheists are not to be trusted because of our 'lack of morals'. There are still states that have laws on their books that prohibit anyone from taking a state office without stating a belief of a creator. I'm pretty sure simply running for public office should be a right.

I have never once sent out copies of 'The origin of species' to random people and professed evolution over the creator as many religious people have done to me. I have also never left a bible as a tip at a restaurant, which has happened to my best friend on numerous occasions. I also have to pay taxes on my home, equipment, supplies etc. which churches do not, yet they reap the benefits of the community who pays taxes.

My feelings aren't hurt, believe me. I think it's great that we have the freedom to believe what we want, but I think it should be a personal thing, and that the religious right shouldn't push their beliefs on me. The reason my gay friend Neil can't get married to his partner of 5 years? Oh...sheesh... it was religion.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
In order to drive a car in the USA, you are first required (pursuant to state law) to buy an insurance policy, containing language that compels you to acknowledge that there is a God, whose Act might directly result in a casualty that the claims adjuster can, on the presumption of that God, refuse to indemnify. There's an example.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM

You still have not answered the question!!!!!! You are put off by bible thumpers, so what. I am put off by a lot of things. My rights have not been violated. The key word here is elected. You obviously do not believe in democracy. You insist that a majority must tolerate the minority but that the minority does not have to tolerate the majority. That is called an oligarchy.

How do you intend to right these injustices. Help us all if people like you ever come to power. Every lamppost in the country would have a body hanging from it.

Push their beliefs on you? Do not push your beliefs on me. You can run for public office. There are lots of laws on the books that are no longer enforced. That is a hollow argument. I am a libertarian. I could care less if gays get married or not. It should be a state issue. Marriage is not a fundamental right protected by the constitution. Neither is affordable housing, free health care, etc. etc. It is a slippery slope. Freedom of speech is a fundamental right which you seem to have no respect for.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
underrepresented in the court system
I missed this one. Are you kidding. The courts overwhelmingly rule in favor of secularism and separation.
You need to move to a country that really violates peoples rights and then come back with a real appreciation that we live in a free country.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No that would be wrong. But they should pass an amendment making English the official language of our nation.
So the deaf can't use ASL?
That's a great move.

I'd rather hateful morons be banished, but that'll never happen.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You still have not answered the question!!!!!! You are put off by bible thumpers, so what. I am put off by a lot of things. My rights have not been violated. The key word here is elected. You obviously do not believe in democracy. You insist that a majority must tolerate the minority but that the minority does not have to tolerate the majority. That is called an oligarchy.

How do you intend to right these injustices. Help us all if people like you ever come to power. Every lamppost in the country would have a body hanging from it.

Push their beliefs on you? Do not push your beliefs on me. You can run for public office. There are lots of laws on the books that are no longer enforced. That is a hollow argument. I am a libertarian. I could care less if gays get married or not. It should be a state issue. Marriage is not a fundamental right protected by the constitution. Neither is affordable housing, free health care, etc. etc. It is a slippery slope. Freedom of speech is a fundamental right which you seem to have no respect for.
WHOA. Ok, enough. You're putting words in my mouth and actually saying that I will KILL people who are against how I feel??? Didn't I say that religion has a place in our society and that I'm okay with it??? I MEAN NO HARM to anyone. Quit attacking people you know nothing about and stick with rational debate, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies