Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM

472 posts, read 872,067 times

Advertisements

Because Conservatives LOVE tradition... and there is nothing more traditional than sparking up an old AM radio, and listening to someone spew like Archie Bunker, dear old dad and all his hunting buddies about what it means to be American, a Great American and identifying all of those who are not great Americans.

The only way Rush, Levin, Hannity and the whole lot of them could be more traditional is if they performed their show over telegraph wires or by carrier pigeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
the right wing radio only survives through heavy private sector subsidy.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
could you please show me a stat or some sort of study that shows this? or were you jsut making some dumb simple remark? kinda like |oh hes strong and works out so he must be dumb because he doesnt ahve time to study"
If someone is doing a study or collecting stats on this, I wish they would find something more productive to do with their time.

It is more akin to me saying "he has big muscles, so he must be working out"

Pill Popper Limbaugh's talk show is in the middle of the day, when most gainfully employed people are working. It goes without saying that if you are spending your day listening to his garbage, you are not doing anything that is very productive.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is speculative and flippant, but I think it is because they are so interested in being angry about other peoples opinions that they are all listening to the conservative stations. *chuckle*
I think you make a good point there. It seems to me that Conservative commentators spend most of their time complaining about the "Left", but always framing it as some issue or event designed to provoke "outrage" in their audience. And it's no secret that Rove & Co. got alot of mileage out of that technique, through crafting so-called "wedge issues".

So now there are many Conservative folks that have become "outrage junkies", and have to regularly visit conservative stations & commentators just to get their "fix". And it probably explains why they always seem so "agitated".

Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Conservative radio tends to be very black-white which draws listeners who both agree and disagree with them in large numbers.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:10 PM

190 posts, read 680,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
Because Conservatives LOVE tradition
Really, the only people I know that sit around and listen the radio are old.
How many younger people listen to talk radio? or even radio?
They get their info in other ways, not listening to old white guys whine for hours at a time

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Can I get a relevant, intelligent answer here? I'll restate my question:

Thanks
Liberal talk radio is not successful because most Americans don't want to hear day after day how "bad" the United States is.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
-The conservative point of view is based on common sense and when people listen to it they constantly find themselves saying "yeah that makes sense!"

-The liberal point of view is based on feelings and feelings do not lend themselves to that kind of forum. Simply put: "Thinking with your heart" cannot be expressed in a logical fashion.
Thats what I always said:

Conservatives rely on the facts
Liberals rely on feelings and emotions (How they think it should be)

Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Liberal talk radio is not successful because most Americans don't want to hear day after day how "bad" the United States is.
Bingo.... We don't want to hear how every problem in the world is absolutely 100% our fault. We don't want to hear that if we don't suffer racial guilt and hate our own race then we are racists. WE don't want to hear that its wrong for us to drill off shore but if China drills off our shores then its a good thing. We don't want to hear that Chavez is really a freedom fighter and all wise and that we should embrace Iran and N.Korea.
And lastly I don't want to hear any more of Al Gores hypocritical rhetoric that he obviously doesn't believe any more than I do given he is about the worst private citixen offended of his beliefs in the nation.
In short Liberal talk shows are lame.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was wondering yesterday why liberal talk radio is never nearly as successful as conservative talk radio. Do liberals prefer other media to the talk radio format, or does NPR suffice for most? I'd love to hear any answers from liberals or conservatives.

Mackinac
Conservatives are humbled by the fact that they were born with two ears and only one mouth. Liberals enjoy talking more than listening and successful radio cannot have 2 people listening to 10,000 DJs. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies