Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It was quite interesting to city Dallas go blue. Its a indication that Texas will be a democratic state by 2020. Mc Cain only won TEXAS by 10 points. Republicans should because their influence in politics in this state are fading away.
10 points is a huge win, it is a landslide, especially in a year like 2008!!! As for Dallas, it has been leaning Democrat for ages, it is the surrounding areas, all the burbs that are Republican. Most major cities are inclined to show left leanings.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
yeah this could depend on what he does and what Texas does in 2010. If he is doing a good job and democrats gain momentum in 2010, Texas could very much be a swing state in 2012. With the changing demographic, growing number of youth voters, increasing hispanic population, Texas could be a blue state that year. Many are already calling it right now that Texas could be a swing state. Whatever the case, I think the days of a republican winning Texas in numbers like 60%-30% are done and they know it. Dallas County and Travis County will remain solidly blue for a while and Harris and Bexar will probably the same. I also think Obama did good in the Austin suburban counties.
You are right about Austin, certainly the city itself. Again most college towns and many capital cities lean Democrat...As for 2010, the chances of Democrats gaining momentum is just a dream on their part. Even the most liberal comentators and guests on shows like McLauglin for instance say the Republicans will clean house in November. Will the take control of either house, it is unlikely, but they will gain momentum. This is noramlly the way elections go on the off years. Oh, BTW, the days of 60-30 you could be right there as well, but don't think all young people are liberals, this isn't true by anymeans. What happened in 2008 isn't the tread necessarily of the country from here on out.

Nita

Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,374,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right about Austin, certainly the city itself. Again most college towns and many capital cities lean Democrat...As for 2010, the chances of Democrats gaining momentum is just a dream on their part. Even the most liberal comentators and guests on shows like McLauglin for instance say the Republicans will clean house in November. Will the take control of either house, it is unlikely, but they will gain momentum. This is noramlly the way elections go on the off years. Oh, BTW, the days of 60-30 you could be right there as well, but don't think all young people are liberals, this isn't true by anymeans. What happened in 2008 isn't the tread necessarily of the country from here on out.

Nita

I generally agree, Texas is going to be Republican for sometime, however its unlikely to be as staunchly GOP as it currently is. Austin will continue to grow rapidly and be very liberal.

What will also push Texas somewhat is the Hispanic population, which tends to be much younger than the white population in the state, which will gradually make the state more Democratic. Now its not going to be enough to wind up with any major changes, it will still be a solidly GOP state, however it could wind up tipping a few Congressional Districts, especially now since Delay Gerrymandered the districts as much as possible.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM

412 posts, read 404,257 times
It won't be blue for a while, but it could conceivably go for the Democratic candidate by 2020 or 2024. Of course, by then a lot of other states could conceivably shift politically as well. It's hard to predict political climates in the future. I remember seeing a book just after Bush won a second term predicting a permanent majority for Republicans.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita

I agree with you on this subject. I do feel that most college towns across this Country lean Democratic in nature. I do not feel that most young adults tend to be libs, i just don't. I think that the young Hispanice Race is going to play a big part in helping that State lean Democratic. However i still feel that the State will lean more of a GOP State. I think come Novemenber we shall se a shift in the House.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It would be nice if Texas was more like Colorado politically. More Libertarian in nature and less run by social conservative nutjobs.
You know, i feel that every State does have their Conservative Nutjobs, along with some too Lib. How bout down the middle.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It would be nice if Texas was more like Colorado politically. More Libertarian in nature and less run by social conservative nutjobs.
Considering a healthy chunk of nutjobs around, I won't be holding my breath to see it happen. But the same could be said of eastern half of CA. While I'm a progressive/liberal, I do want a healthy debate on issues from both sides so we could arrive at best possible solution any and every issue. But the way things are here...

As for largest cities, they have been blue and getting bluer. Dallas county has voted democratic for a while. Austin may be one of the most liberal/progressive cities in the country. San Antonio, El Paso and Houston are pretty blue as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,374,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with you on this subject. I do feel that most college towns across this Country lean Democratic in nature. I do not feel that most young adults tend to be libs, i just don't. I think that the young Hispanice Race is going to play a big part in helping that State lean Democratic. However i still feel that the State will lean more of a GOP State. I think come Novemenber we shall se a shift in the House.
I do think most young people to tend to be liberals (not just those in college). College campuses tend to be further left of course, but younger voters do tend to be liberal.

As far as a shift in the House, I do think the GOP will pick up seats. As far as Texas goes, other than Chet Edwards and perhaps Ciro Rodriguez (though that might be a stretch), the GOP really doesn't have much room to pick up seats, in part due to Tom Delay's redistricting push which basically made the state as Republican as possible on the Congressional level.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM

20,251 posts, read 19,828,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It was quite interesting to city Dallas go blue. Its a indication that Texas will be a democratic state by 2020. Mc Cain only won TEXAS by 10 points. Republicans should because their influence in politics in this state are fading away.
Let's hope so. If you're lucky you can end up like us in true, blue NJ.

As it stands now, we can't compete against TX in terms of jobs and taxes (we're number 1 in taxes) so it would help us if we could pull you guys down.

In fact, we have so many leaving NJ for TX we'll turn you into the "NJ of the Southwest" in no time. Enjoy the ride.

Just make sure you can afford it cuz' we don't come cheap.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
It won't be blue for a while, but it could conceivably go for the Democratic candidate by 2020 or 2024. Of course, by then a lot of other states could conceivably shift politically as well. It's hard to predict political climates in the future. I remember seeing a book just after Bush won a second term predicting a permanent majority for Republicans.
both you and Smash make good points, but it will be many years. I am guessing closer to 2024 and yes, other states that are now blue may go red, history has a habit of changing. We can all look back on the south as an example.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies