Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times

Advertisements

I bet all those black mormons were upset about the protest against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
'Prop 8' Protesters Clash With LAPD, 7 Arrested

Last night gays protested in Los Angeles by shutting down busy Santa Monica & San Vincente blvds until 3AM. Another protest today will march to the Mormon Temple [Mormon's spearheaded the anti-gay amendment w/ large contributions & organization].

These protests could grow in number as Californians deal with the withdrawal of human rights to gays\lesbians. The demonstration got a little ugly last night & more is likely to come.
That is the problem wioth protest now days;too many getout of hand and are counter produtive. They endup making people more against the protesters than any support they might gain. Not many really realise what martin Luther accomplished in keeping down the violence and property damage.If it gets bad the people that live in LA will suffer for years to come just as Watts and other area did in the past.This is not the 60's and people turn on those that can controol themseloves. Besides it took more than mornas to vote that in;they are just the target like the jews were in the 30's because many want no freedom of speech unless it is their own.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I bet all those black mormons were upset about the protest against them.
STOP THE PRESSES!!
THERE ARE BLACK MORMONS????!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
The gays of Cali are showing true class right now. They lost a MARORITY of Cali spoke and they can't handle it. What is the point of a democracy anyways.

I do not blame them for wanting to get married.
I do blame them for stupidity and being afraid to open their eyes and see that they have been failed by the politicians they foolishly trusted.

A politician has to make tough decisions not pass it along to voters.
Good thing Lincoln wasnt a hypocrite California limo lib or Florida Neocon and he made tough decision.

He didn't leave slavery to a vote. The politicians have failed these consenting adults ,there is not a single legal reason why why they shouldn't marry .

The CA gay community needs to open their eyes and realize who failed them.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I do not blame them for wanting to get married.
I do blame them for stupidity and being afraid to open their eyes and see that they have been failed by the politicians they foolishly trusted.

A politician has to make tough decisions not pass it along to voters.
Good thing Lincoln wasnt a hypocrite California limo lib or Florida Neocon and he made tough decision.

He didn't leave slavery to a vote. The politicians have failed these consenting adults ,there is not a single legal reason why why they shouldn't marry .

The CA gay community needs to open their eyes and realize who failed them.
Sadly, you are correct. The gay community in California completely under-estimated the opposition to gay marriage. Some are asking how the polls missed this so badly. Sort of a "Bradley effect" ala gays. People said they would vote for gay marriage & evidently changed their minds when they actually voted.

The Democratic party has to also take responsibility knowing that many Black & Latino reliably Democratic voters were uncomfortable with gay marriage.

Now street demonstrations are occurring & will get really big this weekend in San Francisco & Los Angeles. Californians must be prepared to be inconvenienced while gays & straights together express outrage over Prop 8. Tonight I'm sure Bill Maher will devote time to ridicule the bigots in California [almost entirely Republicans] for their use of fear & ignorance!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sadly, you are correct. The gay community in California completely under-estimated the opposition to gay marriage. Some are asking how the polls missed this so badly. Sort of a "Bradley effect" ala gays. People said they would vote for gay marriage & evidently changed their minds when they actually voted.

The Democratic party has to also take responsibility knowing that many Black & Latino reliably Democratic voters were uncomfortable with gay marriage.

Now street demonstrations are occurring & will get really big this weekend in San Francisco & Los Angeles. Californians must be prepared to be inconvenienced while gays & straights together express outrage over Prop 8. Tonight I'm sure Bill Maher will devote time to ridicule the bigots in California [almost entirely Republicans] for their use of fear & ignorance!

I know many Democrat Black and Hispanic wont vote for gay marriage which is why I will disagree with Bill Maher ,etc if he calls Reps bigots while giving their clones the Democrats a free pass.

Ca is a Democrat state the Democrats voted NO . I NEVER count speeches I count action which is why disdain both parties.

What I find disgusting just vile is that the politicians put it up for a vote .
They as officials needed to have conviction and FOR ONCE JUST FOR ONCE practice what they preach and legalize gay marriage not have it voted on.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Takin something head on is taking it to the voters. They did this and the voters spoke. This will not help there cause one bit.
the voters were fooled and confused by this prop. i didnt beleive it before, but in talking to folks, some thought a yes vote ensured marriage equality. this yes on 8 campaign was very deceptive. it was mostly fueled by outside groups. and the people bought into the lies.

while protesting wont do much but bring light to the fact that people are displeased, we as californians should seek to right this wrong.

first, lets begin by chaning the amount of votes needed to change the constitution to a 2/3rds majority, not a simple majority. the constitition should be respected enough to warrant more than a mere simple majority. and further any constitutional ammendment/change done previously under a simple majority can be undone by a simple majority.

thats the second step. take it back to the people to undo this in the consitution. take it back to the voters. im sure it will be there in 2010, dont think its possible for 2009.

third, make the language clear. a yes vote would signify marriage equality for all californians. yes on marriage equality. no on marriage equality. very simple. jay leno even joked about this potential confusion before hand, i paid it no mind until i kept on talking to people who thought they were voting in favor of the gays with a yes vote.

also, the people in charge of that no on 8 campaign started too late. they supposedly had the backing of black and brown political leaders, why didnt they include them in commercials. why didnt they get the gov. in a commercial. they let these outside groups guide how the masses voted.

i think there is enough blame to go around. and enough protesting to go around. taking it to the streets is just one form of protesting. taking it to the churhces is another. taking it to the political arena would be the most productive.

like any civil rights movement, it will take time, and it will take all kinds of interventions. like sit-ins. bus rides. marches. lobbying. etc etc.

in the words of G'NFRs

Said "Woman, take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience"

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM

328 posts, read 565,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
STOP THE PRESSES!!
THERE ARE BLACK MORMONS????!!!!!!!!
Why This Web Site :: Blacklds.org

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
That is funny and only makes gay people look pitiful which a lot of them are.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is funny and only makes gay people look pitiful which a lot of them are.
That's stupid of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies