Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Wall street is made up of “fat cat” investment managers that manipulate markets for their profit. They see what is going on and bail out before most small investors are able too. They are also the ones that buy once they bring the prices down, since they are the only ones with any money left to invest.

So if they are investment managers, whos investments are they managing? Do you mean the managers of funds that average people buy? How do they manipulate the market? Why would a small investor not be able to bail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
So if they are investment managers, whos investments are they managing? Do you mean the managers of funds that average people buy? How do they manipulate the market? Why would a small investor not be able to bail?
I guess you never heard of insider trading. That’s how brilliant investors like Hilary Clinton were able to turn $1000 into $100,000 over night.
Sure average investors could bail, but by the time they knew what the investment managers(insiders) knew the managers are out and the stock is nearly worthless.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I guess you never heard of insider trading. That’s how brilliant investors like Hilary Clinton were able to turn $1000 into $100,000 over night.
Sure average investors could bail, but by the time they knew what the investment managers(insiders) knew the managers are out and the stock is nearly worthless.

Yeah, I've heard of it, it's illegal so who ever did that will be in prison soon. All the average investor would have to do is to put a stop order to sell.

I don't think there were fund managers that were selling their own stock based on illegal inside information while abandoning their funds. If someone had proof of this they should come forward and let the heads roll.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard of it, it's illegal so who ever did that will be in prison soon. All the average investor would have to do is to put a stop order to sell.

I don't think there were fund managers that were selling their own stock based on illegal inside information while abandoning their funds. If someone had proof of this they should come forward and let the heads roll.
Sure it’s illegal, but you would have to believe in Santa Clause to believe it isn’t happening and most of them are getting away with it.

As for the stop order tell that to the people that own company stock and the corporate officers sell before the black out period then it tanks when the company stock holders aren’t allowed to sell. Don’t think that happens, think again.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Today I heard
Wow there is a reliable source "I heard", and not even a hint as to the source. And now you are ready to chuck it all in hole up with your guns and ammo, cause "I heard".

Hey, your in Nevada, you might like to get in on some beach front property I've been meaning to sell, surely you will simply take my word for it.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Sure it’s illegal, but you would have to believe in Santa Clause to believe it isn’t happening and most of them are getting away with it.

As for the stop order tell that to the people that own company stock and the corporate officers sell before the black out period then it tanks when the company stock holders aren’t allowed to sell. Don’t think that happens, think again.

If someone broke the law and screwed investors, show no mercy. But we can't have people tried and sentenced just because of assumptions. They must have done it so lets vilify them. Sounds like a good ol fashioned witch hunt.

It's not that easy for corp officers to grab all the money and run as you say...legally, without leaving a trace. Enron.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh wow "today I heard" is the new repuke neocon reliable source.

Quit listening to idiots, it is turning you into one
Quote:
Wow there is a reliable source "I heard", and not even a hint as to the source. And now you are ready to chuck it all in hole up with your guns and ammo, cause "I heard".

Hey, your in Nevada, you might like to get in on some beach front property I've been meaning to sell, surely you will simply take my word for it.
You're repeating yourself. Don't believe them when they say it's a sign of genius.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Maybe if people would try to be a little less judgmental and listened before going off on a partisan tirade the people in this country might be able to keep the gubmint from taking over more of our lives.

Quote:
RALEIGH — Democrats in the U.S. House have been conducting hearings on proposals to confiscate workers’ personal retirement accounts — including 401(k)s and IRAs — and convert them to accounts managed by the Social Security Administration.
Quote:
The testimony of Teresa Ghilarducci, professor of economic policy analysis at the New School for Social Research in New York, in hearings Oct. 7 drew the most attention and criticism. Testifying for the House Committee on Education and Labor, Ghilarducci proposed that the government eliminate tax breaks for 401(k) and similar retirement accounts, such as IRAs, and confiscate workers’ retirement plan accounts and convert them to universal Guaranteed Retirement Accounts (GRAs) managed by the Social Security Administration.
Just another pesky source: Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts

Now you heard too

Old 11-10-2008, 03:25 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Today I heard that your 401 etc. is going to be "CONFISCATED" BY THE NEW GOV'T/

SO KISS Y0U LIFE LONG SAVINGS GOODBYE AND INTO CHAIRMENS OBAMA TREASURY..

SO LONG TO RETIREMENT..OR AND THE "SS" ADMIN. WILL HELP YOU..

JTh...OH. BUY GUNS ALWAYS A GOOD INVESTMENT.
wow what a dumb statement

Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Just another pesky source: Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts
Now you heard too
The right-wing bots have propelled this thing into urban legend status. Why not try peeking behind the curtain every now and then. Here is the actual transcript of Teresa Ghilarducci's testimony as one of a dozen different witnesses who offered both Republicans and Democrats various perpsectives, ideas, and insights related to the multi-trillion dollar losses that have hammered pension funds and 401-k's over the past 12-15 months. Read it. See if she says to confiscate anything...

Testimony of Teresa Ghilarducci: October 7, 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies