Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

[quote=chielgirl;6050272]And I don't believe in your god thing so why does what you say mean anything?
Who would Jesus hate?[/quot
So why would any christian care what you say. Why would you even say what someone you don't believe ever existed would hate. Kind of confused are you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:25 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,668 times
The people have spoken loud and clear on this, marriage is to be between one man and one woman, this was a democratic process and the people's say at the polls should not be abridged. Get over it, you lost big time, and it was your arrogance that cost it. Trying to force it down the throats of the voters backfired.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 AM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
It is discrimination and not fair to steal marriage which is a scared union of one man and one woman.
It is discrimination and not fair to steal the word gay which means happy, and girls are named of, and change it's meaning to homosexual.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:20 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
I don't believe in gay marriage and I'm glad California does not allow it.

These people that say "Gay Marriage" should be allowed state they are the most "opened minded" people ever.

These "pro gay marriage people" might as well be in a time that would "allow whiskey and ban vodka". They are so for one thing that has moral issues but something else that deals with another moral issue is completely wrong.

If that is allowed, then why can't we have strip clubs in neighborhoods? These opened-minded people aren't for that.

What happens when I disagree and don't believe in gay marriage. They aren't as open-minded as they think because they are always very open-minded.

That is why I dislike those who call themselves "open-minded". Because they aren't even close to being that way.

Just watch- I'm sure I will get attacked by the open-minded people here in a rather mean tone despite the fact I'm being logical and stating my opinion.

The trouble is that people who hold your view aren't content at just having and "stating your opinion" - they also have to legislate it. I'm not gay and yet I believe that gay marriage should be allowed. I don't know what that has to do with being open-minded or close-minded anyways. Gay people are not another species, they are our brothers and sisters who happen to have a different sexual orientation than what you or I might have. I don't think that I picked my heterosexual orientation, I don't think that people who are gay picked theirs. We are all who we are. We are all citizens and taxpayers in the U.S. I really don't see the need to control people by legislating our own personal morality and/or religion.

Lately, many of us have had to defend our selves from the constant barrage of the religious right in this country. In my opinion, they have gotten totally out of control and have turned into bullies. Note that I said, "religious right", not just "religious" because there are plenty of people who subcribe to a particular religion (and those who don't) who aren't consumed with constantly trying to legislate into public policy their personal and religious beliefs. This seriously has to stop if we are to be a democracy and not ruled by any particular religion. There is too much government intrusion into the lives of private citizens. It's interesting that for those who cry out for smaller government and less intrusion into people's private lives practice the exact opposite. So much for rhetoric.

By the way, I don't see the coorelation between gay marriage and strip clubs. They're not similiar in issue and secondly you can go to strip clubs if you desire, they are not illegal.

P.S. - If gay marriage was made legal, I don't see how it would affect me and my family one bit. We would still be the same. The only difference would be that the gay couple would have the added benefits and legal protection of marriage meaning that Aunt and Uncle Greedy, who had nothing to do with their gay family member for years because they were "sinners" would not be able to swoop down in order to grab up the assets of the deceased gay family member. It sickens me that this could even be the case, that the surviving gay partner has no legal right to their partner's assets. That alone is reason enough for gay marriage to be allowed. I realize that there are other reasons.

Last edited by Donna7; 11-08-2008 at 02:37 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 02:30 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
And these pro-gay marriage people usually are very against prostitution, polygamy, incest, and strip-clubs as well. But apparently they aren't dictators.
I'm not against any of those things. Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they please.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
It is my opinion that marriage is meant to be between a woman and a man.
For the gay folks out there you can pursue whatever turns you on.
It ain't none of my business as long you don't mess with me.
I don't agree with it and I don't understand it.
I will never vote to give you marraige rights. To me, it isn't natural.
I have been married to the same woman for decades.
She is older and grayer then she use to be.
So am I.
But I will never meet a male that looks better to me than she does.
I don't know if gay people acquire their preferences from birth, genes, lifestyle, peer pressure, or their own failure to satisfy the opposite sex.
I'm not smart enough to figure out all that stuff.
For me gay people are those who can't fullfill the normal way of life and reproduction..
If all of us were gay we wouldn't have survived.
We would have been extinct.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:50 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
It is my opinion that marriage is meant to be between a woman and a man.
For the gay folks out there you can pursue whatever turns you on.
It ain't none of my business as long you don't mess with me.
I don't agree with it and I don't understand it.
I will never vote to give you marraige rights. To me, it isn't natural.
I have been married to the same woman for decades.
She is older and grayer then she use to be.
So am I.
But I will never meet a male that looks better to me than she does.
I don't know if gay people acquire their preferences from birth, genes, lifestyle, peer pressure, or their own failure to satisfy the opposite sex.
I'm not smart enough to figure out all that stuff.
For me gay people are those who can't fullfill the normal way of life and reproduction..
If all of us were gay we wouldn't have survived.
We would have been extinct.
Its not just your opinon, gay and marrage is an oxymoron. Marrage is in the dictionary, gay marrage is a fiction of the imagination= it doesn't exist.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
I do not support gay marriage, but for different reasons than have been listed so far. I don't believe homosexuality is a sin; people are born that way, thave no choice. I think gays should be permitted civil unions, where they receive the same rights as married couples, but I do not believe that gays should be permitted to marry.

Gay marriage is not a civil right. Gays do not have a right to get married. The laws of the land have determined that. The purpose of marriage, IMO, is reserved for two people of the opposite sex who share a bond of love, who plan to produce or have produced offspring. I think children need to be raised in stable households with two parents of the opposite sex. There's no doubt that gays can provide children with loving households, but ideally children should be raised by a mother (female) and a father (male).

I am sick of the pro-gay marriage people trying to shoot down the opinions of the anti-gay marriage people. Trying to imply that people who have certain morals and religious principles have irrelevant opinions because they don't agree with you is ridiculous. Also, trying to tell people that because an issue doesn't directly affect them, to not care about it. Absolutely ridiculous. I have never personally been affected by murder. Should I then not care about murder laws? It doesn't affect my life, after all. If I hear about a severe pollution problem in another city, should I not take issue with it? It doesn't affect my life either.

All laws in this country have been established off of religious principles and what most people subjectively deem right and wrong. I am sure we would all disagree that robbery or murder are both wrong. Why do we deem those issues unlawful? Based off of our subjective reasoning and morals. If we looked at everything from a completely objective point of view, there would be total chaos and anarchy.

In the case of gay marriage, California, Arizona, and Florida all had issues on the ballot concerning gay marriage. The people of all three states have decided that marriage is a bond between a man and a woman. Democratic voting is how most decisions get made in the United States. You have the power to vote for your stance on an issue, but whatever the majority decides gets put into law. There are plenty of other countries where the people have chosen to permit gay marriage. If you want to marry your "partner" so bad, why not move to a country that permits it?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I do not support gay marriage, but for different reasons than have been listed so far. I don't believe homosexuality is a sin; people are born that way, thave no choice. I think gays should be permitted civil unions, where they receive the same rights as married couples, but I do not believe that gays should be permitted to marry.

Gay marriage is not a civil right. Gays do not have a right to get married. The laws of the land have determined that. The purpose of marriage, IMO, is reserved for two people of the opposite sex who share a bond of love, who plan to produce or have produced offspring. I think children need to be raised in stable households with two parents of the opposite sex. There's no doubt that gays can provide children with loving households, but ideally children should be raised by a mother (female) and a father (male).

I am sick of the pro-gay marriage people trying to shoot down the opinions of the anti-gay marriage people. Trying to imply that people who have certain morals and religious principles have irrelevant opinions because they don't agree with you is ridiculous. Also, trying to tell people that because an issue doesn't directly affect them, to not care about it. Absolutely ridiculous. I have never personally been affected by murder. Should I then not care about murder laws? It doesn't affect my life, after all. If I hear about a severe pollution problem in another city, should I not take issue with it? It doesn't affect my life either.

All laws in this country have been established off of religious principles and what most people subjectively deem right and wrong. I am sure we would all disagree that robbery or murder are both wrong. Why do we deem those issues unlawful? Based off of our subjective reasoning and morals. If we looked at everything from a completely objective point of view, there would be total chaos and anarchy.

In the case of gay marriage, California, Arizona, and Florida all had issues on the ballot concerning gay marriage. The people of all three states have decided that marriage is a bond between a man and a woman. Democratic voting is how most decisions get made in the United States. You have the power to vote for your stance on an issue, but whatever the majority decides gets put into law. There are plenty of other countries where the people have chosen to permit gay marriage. If you want to marry your "partner" so bad, why not move to a country that permits it?
So if heterosexuals were banned from being married, [I know it would never happen] BUT...would they have the RIGHT to do so?

I am confused. Are you just saying gays don't have the right to marry because you have a problem with homosexuality or....what?

I'm fine with civil unions, as long as they provide both state AND federal rights, benefits, privileges, etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
The people have spoken loud and clear on this, marriage is to be between one man and one woman, this was a democratic process and the people's say at the polls should not be abridged. Get over it, you lost big time, and it was your arrogance that cost it. Trying to force it down the throats of the voters backfired.
*wait*

I'm for the most part a Republican leaning conservative.Most RP conservatives have always believed we are a Republic form of government not a Democracy.We are only a Democracy in the sense that majority rules in elections of public officials.Democracy in its true sense in mob rules.51% voting against 49% can be tyranny which is why we have a Bill of Rights limiting the majority from doing whatever they want to do.

If a prop was brought to vote to the American people to ban guns or religion or whatever and won that doesn't make it legal.In that case the supreme court should get involved.

But either way states rights should be involved in this,I don't believe the federal government should be involved defining marriage one way or the other either side that attempts using the federal government to do this is seriously undermining the future of everybodies freedom.Let the state of Cali,Fl or wherever battle it out in the courts.And if need be take it to the supreme court for a final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies