Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
One of ya'll better send me a wedding pic because you WILL Win it back!! woo hoo!! :-)
LOL! My fight isn't for me, I'm straight (although I don't know why I felt the need to say it), but it's for my best friend who is gay & for all the others out there that I don't even know but I still care about their rights.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL! My fight isn't for me, I'm straight (although I don't know why I felt the need to say it), but it's for my best friend who is gay & for all the others out there that I don't even know but I still care about their rights.
Right on, Im straight and married for years and Im fighting!! It's such rubbish!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
One of ya'll better send me a wedding pic because you WILL Win it back!! woo hoo!! :-)
It will happen.

Not sure if I'm ever getting married, but it will happen for people. All over the U.S.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
Quote:
Thought you didn't use internet for your info when I told you they do not have that info correct, I was raised by a real Okie from the Dust Bowl and I have fam in Cali and OK and I have lived in both places myself, I know exactly what it means. How old are you? Are you sure you finished High School?

Also, I dare you to scroll back into this thread and find where I said it was "only" a derogatory word? You are freakin out LOL.. whahaha points finger --->>

Look at her.. she should have known better than to come into this thread to do nothing more than to hurt people.

So what up White trash? Where ya from? Michigan .. Okie? LOL whatever.
ya i know it was pretty pathetic how you tried to pretend you knew your history, you of course only regurgitated the negative definition of an "okie"
showing you believed it was a derogitory term only.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Right on, Im straight and married for years and Im fighting!! It's such rubbish!!
It's great to know that even if it may have no impact on their lives, people know that it impacts others who don't have the same rights. I think nationwide there's a march or rally on Saturday regarding Prop8, I believe I saw it starts at 1:30 this saturday.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Again I left nothing out and you can not read. I said it meant Oklahoman, has never meant more than that, except during the depression when people wanted to call someone trash... even then when used as a put-down, it wasnt literal... just meant to put someone down, nothing more. They were not calling a midwestern an Oklahoman they were lumping them into a class, lower class trash. But no-one from anywhere but Oklahoma would ever seriously be called an Okie, as you suggested a Midwestern was.

The Modern day use of it is someone from Oklahoma. But you knew this, you are just spinning things for the sake of spinning, seeing how you are from Oklahoma, and you obviously think you are better than other people and would never call yourself a minority group piece of trash from the midwest, right?
OKIE, here is one of those posts you're referring to when you say chasingclouds said okie ONLY was meant in a deragatory way. Do you see the distinction here??

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It will happen.

Not sure if I'm ever getting married, but it will happen for people. All over the U.S.
I know it will. They have no choice. It's infringing on civil rights, separation of church and state and freedom of religion. If they do not okay it, they prove America laws a big joke.

And I can not *wait* to see that Mormon church get their tax-except status yanked.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
Ok, so let me ask all of you people on city-data that support gay marriage

-what are you doing to help get gay marriage passed ( arguing on CD does not count)

- what process will california have to go through juducially to get this law passed?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
-what are you doing to help get gay marriage passed ( arguing on CD does not count)
I'll gladly put money into it. I should have done so for Prop 8 but didn't. I have in the past but failed to this time around. I'm trying to work with the organizations here at my university to promote acceptance and understanding. Exploring my options as to what I can do on a local level. And I've been open to talking about it with people I encounter. I try to make it clear that I can answer questions, and I have had some people ask me some odd questions that I thought had obvious answers, but if they were genuine, they were good questions. Education affects it indirectly, I suppose, but education is important.

Quote:
- what process will california have to go through juducially to get this law passed?
That one I don't know the answer to.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
again chasingclouds is wrong and needs to brush up on his/her history.
Wrong? How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies