Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
OK, so these guys can't graduate high school in the normal amount of time. What does that say to you? Of course, Texas just wants the money for some warm bodies and these people will not get anymore education than they already got. This is only one thing wrong with the education (propaganda) system in this country.

Texas raises school age limit - UPI.com

AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 14 (UPI) -- A new Texas law offers $30 per day, per student, funding for school districts that accept students who are over 21 but no older than 26.

The level of funding, which was previously only offered to school districts for students under the age of 21, is aimed at curbing the dropout rate in Texas, the Houston Chronicle reported Friday.

"There are a lot of kids that leave, for good or bad reason, during their teenage years and then realize as young adults that they really need that diploma," state Rep. Scott Hochberg, D-Houston, who sponsored the legislatio, told the newspaper. "It's really all about the person who wants to come back to school."
If you think offering more opportunities to continue or complete education is 'sad,' I wonder about your priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by google_master View Post
who gave you rights people to judge? Tnx to this law, I can build up my future! Fck you haters.
I see that education is doing wonders for your writing ability. “Who gave you rights people…” doesn’t make sense. Perhaps you meant, “Who gave you people the right…”

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you think offering more opportunities to continue or complete education is 'sad,' I wonder about your priorities.
If you think forcing taxpayers to pay for someone’s education through age 26 is good then I wonder about your priorities.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I see that education is doing wonders for your writing ability. “Who gave you rights people…” doesn’t make sense. Perhaps you meant, “Who gave you people the right…”

If you think forcing taxpayers to pay for someone’s education through age 26 is good then I wonder about your priorities.
And that is only a HS diploma at 26..not a 4 year college degree that some others have at 22.

And then we wonder why jobs are leaving the US and our ranking on the world scale of education is falling each year.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The cost of educating a kid is not near as great as the cost of incarcerating the kid. The cost of educating a kid is not near as great as the cost of supporting him/her through government handouts forever.
Yeah, but, you know prisons are big business now, especially in Texas.
Can't have them losing their built-in populations, now can we?

I think this is an excellent idea. Many employers no longer accept a GED.
Can't for the life of me understand why so many people, especially those who are the first to bemoan the 'welfare state' are against anything that will make young people more able to contribute to society.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

My priorities include not wasting my tax dollars on never-ending generations of welfare abusers. Spending a little money up front to educate those who can instead contribute to society seems like a good idea to me. This comment, of course, is limited to those who are in this country legally. The rest should be wholesale deported.

As a conservative, I am for the least amount of government spending possible. However, there are times where a little spending can go a long way.

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They should not even be at the same campus at the same time.
Sorry what?
Does that include college campuses where it is entirely possible to have students from age 16 or 17 all the way up to seniors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, but, you know prisons are big business now, especially in Texas.
Can't have them losing their built-in populations, now can we?

I think this is an excellent idea. Many employers no longer accept a GED.
Can't for the life of me understand why so many people, especially those who are the first to bemoan the 'welfare state' are against anything that will make young people more able to contribute to society.
Budgets can't support K-12 teachers with kids leaving at 18 nevermind the 18-26 crowd.

$30/day per student won't support the cost. Don't know where they are going to find that money.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times
I thought this was why they incorporated getting a GED? I'm 24, and cannot even think about ever being in high school again. College yes, high school, NO.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I thought this was why they incorporated getting a GED? I'm 24, and cannot even think about ever being in high school again. College yes, high school, NO.
Think about it..a 26 year old guy hitting on his 22 year old English teacher.

Obviously there must be some stigma now attached to the GED where that HS diploma is needed.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I can see having a slip up and having to graduate at 19/20, but enough is enough. Make that 26 year old get a GED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies