Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Who in the world thinks that is it such a great idea when two men raise a child(ren)? Who is the father or mother in such families? Same sex individuals cannot form a family. It's just wrong, and disgusting from an intimacy point of view.
Dude, it's fine if you want to debate the merits of same-sex couple raising children, but to label homo sex as "disgusting", is a little silly. Of course, it's disgusting to you if don't have any interest in guys. Duh.

But to each, his own. Live, and let live.

I think you get my point.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I've thought for years that the root of the problem is society's fixation on the differences between the sexes. If we got rid of the binary gender system, we might make some real progress!
Can you seriously undertand why most would think this notion to be radical beyond comprehension? Not the kind of progress most would perhaps have in mind.

Thank God.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Can you seriously undertand why most would think this notion to be radical beyond comprehension? Not the kind of progress most would perhaps have in mind.

Thank God.
It will take time, that's for sure. Do I understand why that's so radical to people? No, I really don't. I just know that it is. I won't see it become a popular idea in my lifetime (or I seriously doubt it!), but it will at some point.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
No it isn't.
They only argue that it is a behavior, so they can't justify their prejudice.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
It's funny. I know that the OP is being ironic and satirical in order to make a valid point. I live in California, and although I'm aware that 70% of black people voted for Prop. 8 (against gay marriage), this is not a racial conflict. It's a religious one. It's well known that many poor people are religious, and a good number of them voted not only for Obama (yay!), but also against gay marriage. So if you want to condemn a group of people, condemn poor people. Or condemn the more zealous religious people. To make this a racial issue is to promote more divisiveness, and how can that be a good thing?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
Unfortunately, I couldn't rep you. In any event, this is a great post and speaks to the crux of the issue - these people really just want to go on a racist rant, which really is not helping their cause.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
How many White people voted against gay marriage? What about Colorado and New Mexico also defeating the gay marriage measure, are you going to blame that on Black people too? Why is it that only Cn and Ma allow gay marriage, must be all the Blacks in the other 48 states that are preventing Gay people from marrying.

This whole gay marriage in Ca and Black voters is nothing but thinly veiled racism and brings out those who were/are waiting for a chance at racially opportunistic attacks. Blacks only make up 6.2% of the Cali population, and of that number far less actually vote, so they didn't decide Prop 8. If White people who make up the overwhelming majority of voters, who run the country and its institutions wanted gay marriage, it would legal tomorrow. Gay marriage isn't legal because the White establishment and voters aren't concerned about it.

You also make it sound like Blacks should be greatfull for interracial marriage, as if its beneficial to them *only*. It appears you are saying they pushed for interracial marriage and interracial marriage was only legalized as some gift to Blacks.

Racial civil rights is far far more serious than homosexual civil rights because you can not tell a person is homosexual just by looking at them. Homosexuals don't have to use different fountains, have dogs set upon them, be repeatedly raped over generations and have to live with carrying the offspring of their White masters, have their culture heritage kinships and families forced apart and destroyed.

The Mormon church was the major player in influencing people to voter YES on Prop 8, they sank 30 million into defeating it, its the Mormon church who proactively campaigned against gay marriage unlike some Black voter who only votes.There is an ocean of difference between a person voting versus campaigning and spending large sums of money to pass or defeat a measure.

Who is most prolific and vocal in demonizing gays in America. Who operates right wing media, the many mega churches, Trinity Broadcasting Network? Who supports and runs the Republican party, conservative organizations. What race was Sarah Palin, who called homosexuality a choice. How is it that Whites as a whole never get blamed for anything that happens due to the actions of some Whites but as soon as Blacks do anything , its always the whole race thats responsible and people always bring up past abuses against Blacks to further villify Blacks. This twisted logic is just that, because it makes the historical victims have to adhere to a strict standard and judges them on everything based on their past persecution. It seems that if you belonged to a persecuted demographics then you have to be perfect or else.

Lastly, the projected % of Black voters who voted YES being 70% is debatable. The media networks do not ask the majority what they voted, they just make a projection. The below website attacks the media projections as erroneous, on a point by point basis.

My Left Wing:: Facts Belie the Scapegoating of Black People for Proposition 8

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 16,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I guess the "mother" would be the "bottom" (more feminine of the pair) and the "father" would be the "top" (the straight-acting one).

That kid's in for a heck of a time growing up.

Yes. That's exactly it. Mr. Top goes to work and Mr. Bottom stays home in an apron and changes little Bobby's diaper.

Top and Bottom do not mean what you think it means. Also, You cannot slot stereotypical gender roles with a homosexual couple, or indeed, even a modern heterosexual couple. How is it odd for a male to be a primary care giver in a homosexual relationship when even now, there are growing populations of Stay at home Dads in heterosexual relationships which are primary care givers?

I understand the satire of the original post though. Some of the same religious arguments given to my mother against her interracial marriage are now being used against a gay marriage. Remove religion out of the equation and there's little argument against it. Some might continue to bring up the biology issue of not being able to procreate, yet there are many hetero couples living childfree.

The world didn't implode when my dad and mom got married once it became accepted in every state. I did not become maladjusted because my parents were of different races. Legalizing gay marriage won't implode the world either, nor cause a rash of confused, uncared for children.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly76 View Post
Yes. That's exactly it. Mr. Top goes to work and Mr. Bottom stays home in an apron and changes little Bobby's diaper.

Top and Bottom do not mean what you think it means. Also, You cannot slot stereotypical gender roles with a homosexual couple, or indeed, even a modern heterosexual couple. How is it odd for a male to be a primary care giver in a homosexual relationship when even now, there are growing populations of Stay at home Dads in heterosexual relationships which are primary care givers?

I understand the satire of the original post though. Some of the same religious arguments given to my mother against her interracial marriage are now being used against a gay marriage. Remove religion out of the equation and there's little argument against it. Some might continue to bring up the biology issue of not being able to procreate, yet there are many hetero couples living childfree.

The world didn't implode when my dad and mom got married once it became accepted in every state. I did not become maladjusted because my parents were of different races. Legalizing gay marriage won't implode the world either, nor cause a rash of confused, uncared for children.
Kids have been raised by same sex couples for years now. Yes, a few of the kids are 'messed up', but look at kids raised by heterosexual couples.. a lot of them are messed up too. It's not the gender of the parents, but the way they're raised. If they're raised in a loving, nurturing home, regardless of what sex their parents are they're going to have a better chance of being 'normal'. Remember, all gay kids come from straight parents!

Also, I'm the primary breadwinner in my relationship, always have been. I make nearly 3 times my boyfriend and take care of most of the bills and housing stuff (repairs and whatnot) gender roles aren't concrete.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's funny. I know that the OP is being ironic and satirical in order to make a valid point. I live in California, and although I'm aware that 70% of black people voted for Prop. 8 (against gay marriage), this is not a racial conflict. It's a religious one. It's well known that many poor people are religious, and a good number of them voted not only for Obama (yay!), but also against gay marriage. So if you want to condemn a group of people, condemn poor people. Or condemn the more zealous religious people. To make this a racial issue is to promote more divisiveness, and how can that be a good thing?
Many affluent Blacks also voted Yes on Prop 8. I think that it is very racist to equate Black and poor. There are MANY socioeconomic levels that exist within the Black community. To make the assumption that the community voted a certain way because THEY are poor or uneducated is rather insulting.

Also, the gay community DID NOT make an effort to reach out to the Black community. They did not make attempts to gain support from the communities which they are now bashing.

So I place the blame back to the gay community. Try harder next time to be inclusive.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Did you confirm this with God Herself?
I think I love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies