U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,459,979 times

Advertisements

Although I suspect that other towns/cities through out the country are beiginning to do this or at least entertain the possibility, do you think that passing new zoning ordinances preventing registered offenders from living in a town/community is a wise thing to do or a mistake? Those who have been living in this communities prior to these zoning ordinances are permitted to stay however, if they move and choose to move back, they may not. A few towns in VT have already passed these ordinances; I assume at some point, someone will challenge it to the VT Supreme Court...

One of the disadvantages I think is that by moving registered offenders out of the area, they become distanced from the support, counseling, etc. that is easier for them to obtain; by moving them to the outskirts, to rural areas, there is less contact with others, difficult to obtain access to assistance....

What are your thoughts...article included below

Discourse focuses on sexual offenders: Rutland Herald Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 PM

14,248 posts, read 15,079,510 times
So they're inconvenienced. It also puts them farther away from their victims past, present and future.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:36 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,198,202 times
It won't stop them from seeking out victims and instead pushes them closer to rural areas, pushing the problem onto others. If they're dangerous they shouldn't be free in the first place and instead should still be in jail.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,277,710 times
This is only a good idea if you can keep track of them.

Truth is, most police departments don't have the resources to go track down sex offender registration absconders - and there are tens of thousands of them.

Ideally, you'd have these people in an easily-monitored area under supervisory control. If you start shoving them out into areas where they can't be monitored, they end up rejecting the system entirely and creating headaches for law enforcement. Something like a tracking bracelet can be sawed off in a few seconds. It often takes several hours for that information to trickle down from the people who remotely monitor bracelet integrity to the local police department which would actually have to make the arrest. And by then, the offender is long, long gone.

What then?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,716,561 times
I just have to ask, do you have children??

I can tell you they could relocate them to the middle of Lake Jessup (which is overrun with alligators) and that would be good with me. When I get a license to carry, if I so much as see one of them standing near my daughter (yes, I know what they look like because I keep track of the ones in my area), I will draw on him and he better not even break wind.

It should be legal to shoot em and spike them on a fence post the way they do coyotes in areas where coyotes prey on farm animals. The rotting corpse of the coyotes, runs off any others that come around to prey in the weak.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:36 PM

So they're inconvenienced. It also puts them farther away from their victims past, present and future.

To me it is not being about inconvenienced but rather, the inconvenience for the law enforcement agencies and other agencies to be able to keep a better watch on them; I also think the further away they are from the greater community the less overseeing ...I understand there is no real comparison, intensity/crime-wise to say, an alcoholic but rather to use the analogy..if a recovering alcoholic is faithfully going to meetings and programs and working very hard to stay straight and sober and one of the reasons he/she is able to do so is because the agencies/services are within their community and easily accessible...then a registered offender who has been going to counseling, walking the straight and narrow and doing well is taken away from that support and counseling and placed way out in a rural area and cannot have access to that assistance, I would think that could create a problem rather than negate it....perhaps there should be an area within the towns where people know offenders live and then everyone has the transparency that they need....I don't know if there are other simple or acceptable solutions but I sure don't think preventing an offender to be close to the help they need is a wise one. I am not talking about not keeping offenders away from school yards, etc if it is a convicted child sex offender....I am talking about practical and pro-active measures that could prevent future problems.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,716,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

To me it is not being about inconvenienced but rather, the inconvenience for the law enforcement agencies and other agencies to be able to keep a better watch on them; I also think the further away they are from the greater community the less overseeing ...I understand there is no real comparison, intensity/crime-wise to say, an alcoholic but rather to use the analogy..if a recovering alcoholic is faithfully going to meetings and programs and working very hard to stay straight and sober and one of the reasons he/she is able to do so is because the agencies/services are within their community and easily accessible...then a registered offender who has been going to counseling, walking the straight and narrow and doing well is taken away from that support and counseling and placed way out in a rural area and cannot have access to that assistance, I would think that could create a problem rather than negate it....perhaps there should be an area within the towns where people know offenders live and then everyone has the transparency that they need....I don't know if there are other simple or acceptable solutions but I sure don't think preventing an offender to be close to the help they need is a wise one. I am not talking about not keeping offenders away from school yards, etc if it is a convicted child sex offender....I am talking about practical and pro-active measures that could prevent future problems.
How does the present set up make it harder for cops to keep track of them?? In my area they showed the law enforcement going around and visiting each and every one just to make sure they didn't have lights on or handing out candy to children.
Frankly I don't understand your concern unless of course a loved one of yours is a sex offender and you are living in denial about what the reality of that is.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi, I am very concerned about sex offenders, the lack of funds to keep the sex offender registries up to date, and how, on occasion, the DOC and judiciary and Probation& Parole do not always seem to be on the same page. As a victim/survivor of crime, I have become extremely involved in the rights of victims, protecting victims and doing all that I can to bring to light whatever preventative measures might be appropriate and sensible.

I live in a fairly rural area and many towns do not have police departments and thus the State Police are the ones who would have to handle crimes in those areas; thus, there is not always the availability of police officers in those towns to oversee those offenders to make sure they are where they are supposed to be. As such, that alone is another reason I think it can be too difficult to have offenders in those rural areas because it can be too difficult and time-consuming for that kind of travel.

Do I think that there should be, in some cases tougher sentencing laws, absolutely; do I also think that there are some situations when tougher sentencing is not needed, yes as I have stated before, teenager romances have put 17 year students on a registry and I don't think they should be there; a 50 year old abusing a 4 year old, of course, and immediately.

Do I think if there is an offender who is a repeat violent offender, has been released and attacks again should be given bail, no, I do not.

However, when it comes to sensible safety, if there is such a thing, I believe that it is wiser to keep offenders closer to the cities than in rural towns and for those who are truly working on rehabilitation, they should be closer to those services than far away from them.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,753,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I just have to ask, do you have children??

I can tell you they could relocate them to the middle of Lake Jessup (which is overrun with alligators) and that would be good with me. When I get a license to carry, if I so much as see one of them standing near my daughter (yes, I know what they look like because I keep track of the ones in my area), I will draw on him and he better not even break wind.

It should be legal to shoot em and spike them on a fence post the way they do coyotes in areas where coyotes prey on farm animals. The rotting corpse of the coyotes, runs off any others that come around to prey in the weak.
In the UK. if we shoot a sex offender we are off to the klink.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:56 PM

55,480 posts, read 74,374,114 times
yes but please you need to apply them to all sex offenders we have a nasty habit of only fingering white male offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies