Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you personally know any gays/homosexuals? (You may choose more than one answer.)
No, I do not personally know any gays/homosexuals. 11 6.04%
Yes, I have friends who are gay/homosexual. 128 70.33%
Yes. Family members. 70 38.46%
Yes. Co-workers. 73 40.11%
Yes. Acquaintances. 91 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Nope, don't know any.
Don't intend to get aquainted with any either.
...and don't intend to take head out of sand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I just emailed God with your comments, and he informed me it wasn't a mistake, as you put it. He made everyone just like you see them, and there were no mistakes, only in your eyes...
and, if you're real careful about whom you chose to be your friends, no one will try to shove it down your throat....
Well said. By the way, could you possibly share god's email. I have a few questions I'd like to ask her. Like how come when bad things happen it's our fault but she gets credit for all the good things.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Hey John From Scranton, I see you voted "No." You know me, do you not? That makes me an acquaintance!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
I know plenty of gay people. My brother, my cousin, a lot of my friends, some people at work. I have nothing against any of them, just leave marriage out of it. Civil unions? I'm open to that possibility, I don't think it is fair that straight 'couples' should get benefits over gay 'couples'. Either take the benefits out of marriage or allow gays to have civil unions. Stay away from the marriage thing though, especially the Catholic Church.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I know plenty of gay people. My brother, my cousin, a lot of my friends, some people at work. I have nothing against any of them, just leave marriage out of it. Civil unions? I'm open to that possibility, I don't think it is fair that straight 'couples' should get benefits over gay 'couples'. Either take the benefits out of marriage or allow gays to have civil unions. Stay away from the marriage thing though, especially the Catholic Church.
I feel sorry for your brother especially, considering the views you express here, most of which I'm assuming are sincerely-held.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I feel sorry for your brother especially, considering the views you express here, most of which I'm assuming are sincerely-held.
I just said I have nothing against gay people. And I have gay friends. Most of my views have been me just trolling.

Hate the sin, not the sinner has always been my motto. Except I don't "hate" anything, in fact I don't even look down upon gays. I've been around enough of them to understand their issues. I just don't support gay marriage and never will.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hey John From Scranton, I see you voted "No." You know me, do you not? That makes me an acquaintance!
For that matter also John, the LGBT community here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is massive. A number of classmates from my alma mater of Pittston Area are just coming out of the closet now as they're nearing the end of their college days and start to realize who they truly are. I watch with morbid excitement the "Interested In" sections of their Facebook profiles change from the opposite sex to either exclusively the same sex or to both sexes, hoping of course one of my "straight" crushes will be the latest to reveal himself. I work under a manager from South Scranton who is gay, and I work with a cashier who is gay. At my old store there were a few "out and proud" LGBT people. I belong to a few same-sex personals sites, all of which have a very strong local presence. Local LGBT clubs like Twist and the Twelve Penny Saloon never seem to have difficulty pulling in massive crowds.

What you have to realize is just how closeted many people locally are due to our very heavy right-wing presence. I would suspect it is the same way in most "red" parts of our nation as well. When I came out at age seventeen I was exalted onto a pedestal of "coolness" in my high school, but my parents and others in their generation were not so "open-minded," if you catch my drift. I suspect you know many gay people and don't even realize it. We're not all limp-wristed with lisps. Many of us play sports, work out daily, and enjoy other "guy" stuff.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I just don't support gay marriage and never will.
I'm glad you're not my brother, glad neither of my brothers (or my parents) feel that way. I would be likely to limit my interactions with them. I never told any of them that I don't support their marriages.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm glad you're not my brother, glad neither of my brothers (or my parents) feel that way. I would be likely to limit my interactions with them. I never told any of them that I don't support their marriages.
You are a bigot against religious people then. Glad I don't know you either.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You are a bigot against religious people then. Glad I don't know you either.
That was quite a leap, and quite inaccurate also. This has nothing to do with religion. I said I never told anyone I didn't support their marriages, and I expect the same respect should I ever decide to marry someone of the same sex. It doesn't have anything to do with religion, and certainly not because you just decided that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies