U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM

968 posts, read 1,181,096 times

Advertisements

In Arkansas first Cousins could marry until recently and have children and its common for brother and sister to live together without legal marriage. Is this aimed at those types of people from being able to adopt -- blood relatives.

Or is it really aimed at gay couples or maybe both?

They just took away the option for unmarried incest couples to adopt, their birth defect rate wont be helped by this.

I think this law is dumb-- single people can adopt and foster but not a couple!

It's been proven that gay couples can and do adopt and raise children that are well adjusted and not gay.

Ark. voters pass lottery, support adoption ban - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/11/05/ap5651085.html - broken link)

Quote:
The adoption and foster ban, aimed primarily at keeping gays from becoming foster or adoptive parents, received support from nearly 57 percent of voters in unofficial and incomplete returns. Nearly two-thirds of voters supported the lottery measure championed by Halter, which will fund college scholarships through ticket sales.

The foster measure's sponsor, the Arkansas Family Council, painted its proposal as a battle against a "gay agenda." The conservative group successfully pushed for an amendment banning same-sex marriage four years ago.

"I think the voters realized that this was about child welfare, rather than the rights of adults," said Jerry Cox, the council's president.
Opponents of the measure argued it would make it harder for the state to find the foster parents it needs to take care of children. Gov. Mike Beebe, who had originally said he supported a foster-care restriction, changed his mind and said an open policy was needed because of a lack of foster homes.

"The biggest thing to take away tonight is that the children in the foster-care system were dealt a pretty serious blow tonight," said Brett Kincaid, director of the campaign that opposed the measure.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-16-2008 at 11:04 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM

3,747 posts, read 5,104,428 times
Please, no jokes about inbreeding in the South. Obviously I can't stop people from making those jokes, but just pointing out that they're really offensive and...not really very funny.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,585,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
In Arkansas first Cousins can marry and have children and its common for brother and sister to live together without legal marriage. Is this aimed at those types of people from being able to adopt -- blood relatives.
Is it really legal for first cousins to marry and have kids in Ark?!?!
If so, I had no idea. That's quite odd, to say the least.

This law looks as if it was passed as part of the anti-gay agenda.
And keeps quite a few others from fostering/adopting as well.
Whatever the intent it's the children that need good homes that are clearly being abused by this.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Is it really legal for first cousins to marry and have kids in Ark?!?!
If so, I had no idea. That's quite odd, to say the least.

This law looks as if it was passed as part of the anti-gay agenda.
And keeps quite a few others from fostering/adopting as well.
Whatever the intent it's the children that need good homes that are clearly being abused by this.
Its legal to marry your cousin and have children in a few states, legal in all states to marry your second cousin. It is encouraged in many small towns and the south to marry your second cousin still.

And yes this law is hurting the children... so sad.

update: I just did a google search for Arkansas it, seems no it isnt now, but it was until recently and they are trying to overturn it. You can marry your second cousin still. sorry bout that, just updated the first post.

But anyways
http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states
http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag...s/a/cousin.htm

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-16-2008 at 11:19 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 11:30 PM

weird..
ABC News: When Cousins Get Married

Quote:
FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt were second cousins, so were Prince Albert and Queen Victoria and former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani was briefly married to a second cousin. In America, marrying your cousin is legal in 25 states and every year about 200,000 cousins wed.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM

woah looks like you can marry your first cousin in Cali... man and they are telling gay people they can not marry-- who cant even have kids that will end up with bio problems??!! WOW!!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM

754 posts, read 1,283,123 times
I saw something on 20/20 on We channel and it said something like 20% of all marriages are between first cousins. There was a couple interviewed and I have to say I was uncomfortable even watching it. To each it's own, but that's just wrong. At least the parents were against it.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 AM

wow 20%??!! Oh my.....I wouldnt ever do it.. but what I don't get is if they allow this, how on earth could any of these states not allow gay people to marry. This is far far grosser to me as a straight person than gay people who hurt no one with their lifestyle.. than blood marrying and having children with weakened dna and all the related problems the poor child can have that could come with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies