U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,047,376 times

Advertisements

I did not know that under an honest Administration you could pick and choose what laws you will enforce?

TPM: News Pages | Talking Points Memo |

How do you handle that in a press conference? Do they plan on being as secretive and uninformative with the press as the Bush Administration has been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,415,285 times
I hope so. The press is no friend of the american public. I have friends in Iraq who saw the press bribing Iraqi's to stage protests. As for the criminals in GITMO? They are not uniformed soldiers, are not american citizens and are not covered by the geneva convention. Nor do they have my pitty. I am not for torture nor I am I for compassion for those who are terrorists.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,047,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I hope so. The press is no friend of the american public. I have friends in Iraq who saw the press bribing Iraqi's to stage protests. As for the criminals in GITMO? They are not uniformed soldiers, are not american citizens and are not covered by the geneva convention. Nor do they have my pitty. I am not for torture nor I am I for compassion for those who are terrorists.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

The Geneva Convention in regards to torture applies to anyone and everyone.

OHCHR (http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/h_cat39.htm - broken link)

Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 AM

19,248 posts, read 17,395,652 times
Let's hope Bush tries to salvage his presidency and gives pardons to the many soldiers and law enforcement officers who were falsely and unjustly punished over claims of torture. Not all, some were guilty, but many of them were not.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 AM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

So, in BushWorld, people are determined to be criminals by declaration, no need to file charges or hold trials?

Hasn't that be tried before in places like Germany and the USSR? And quite unsuccessfully?

Last edited by burdell; 11-18-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM

11,367 posts, read 18,556,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I did not know that under an honest Administration you could pick and choose what laws you will enforce?

How do you handle that in a press conference? Do they plan on being as secretive and uninformative with the press as the Bush Administration has been?
Honest?You assume that Obama aka the DNC is honest?lol!News flash,they are not,haven't been many times before.I learned that my party the GOP aren't always honest about their policies,those that are supporters of the DNC better wise up and learn that they aren't honest either.

I'll say it again,voters had a chance to vote honest,integrity and real change by voting a 3rd party but they blew it by thinking the only choices are a donkey or elephant.And the donkey will back kick you and the elephant will stomp on you............

Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM

820 posts, read 1,080,043 times
I'm not sure what to make of all this:
Quote:

Old 11-18-2008, 03:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,465,231 times
Quote:

Not to go at the merits of this decision, but there is such a thing as prosecutorial discretion. Not every action that could possibly be tried to a criminal verdict is in fact prosecuted.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,965,887 times
The people who relayed the orders should be prosecuted, those who did the torturing should probably not be if they were just following orders.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,753,581 times
Quote:
Do they plan on being as secretive and uninformative with the press as the Bush Administration has been?
With the USA, the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies