U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,890,167 times

Advertisements

I say "that sux" and keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,821,533 times
Offer to buy them a McD burger or give some food.
Most want $$ to buy ETOH or DRUGS. I have given a few $ here and there and then watch them get a couple more $ and go into Wally world etc and buy booze...
This is a real problem here in Grants and Gallup NM.

Esp. just off of I-40..

I tell them to go to the local church etc.

HW.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

1,505 posts, read 2,807,551 times
I don't mind giving money to people who are honest about the fact that they are out begging. It's the ones who run up to you, spinning some wild story and insulting your intelligence that I can't stand. The worst thing is that their little scams make it less likely that people will believe someone who is truly in an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I agree. There are some out on the streets that you just KNOW are having hard times, it's obvious. Then there are those younger kids, I call them the gutter rats, who are complete *******s & totally harass you if you don't give them money. They're young, they're able to get a job, I'm not sure exactly what they're problem is. I got into a verbal fight w/one of them when I saw one of the guys kick his dog. Anyway, people asking me for money usually isn't a problem, sometimes it's annoying, sometimes I ignore them & sometimes if I have cash I'll give it to them. It's no skin off my back & it's an interaction that lasts like a minute in my day, how can that possibly affect anyone so negatively?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM

107 posts, read 304,440 times
a lot of factors go into whether i give money. where i am, how much i have with me, what the person looks like, and if they are asking for a specified amount or just some spare change.

i am more likely to give up some spare change or a couple of dollars at a gas station in the middle of nowhere than i am coming out of a mall

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,220,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Scam or not, I really don't care. If some one needs money, for whatever reason and I am have a bit to spare, I give give them something, not all of the time, but often enough. I also don't give a lot but I do give them something.
I never give anyone any of my money for any reason.

However, I frequently offer to buy people food or drink. I am always willing to buy a homeless man a sandwich or a few hamburgers off the dollar menu. I've given my old jacket away to some guy who looked like he needed it. Basically, I figure that these people are going to use my money to do something wrong. I've seen too much of it. So if they really need the help, then they will accept my sandwiches, or my bottled Gatorade, or whatever else I offer.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,825,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I don't mind giving money to people who are honest about the fact that they are out begging. It's the ones who run up to you, spinning some wild story and insulting your intelligence that I can't stand. The worst thing is that their little scams make it less likely that people will believe someone who is truly in an emergency.
This is true, I always get the same story...the guy got paid but he's unable to cash his check, his car ran out of gas, his family is in the car, it's 2 blocks down the road & he just needs money to get gas. Because I've heard that one so often, I never believe it.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM

11,979 posts, read 16,700,390 times
Well, I'm conflicted. My best friend's purse was snatched in Boston and she had no way to get home. Our college is on the commuter rail line but her ticket (and wallet, ID, and cell phone) were in the purse. She stood in South Station in Boston for 4 hours asking for a dollar to help her pay for a ticket to get home. She talked to a cop there and he said that while she could report it stolen, they wouldn't be able to help her get home. It was our freshman year of school so she knew no one in Boston nor anyone with a car.

So for 4 hours, she got called every name in the book- drug addict, slob, lazy, etc- when she was really just a scared 18 year old from Texas who just wanted to get home. Now when I'm in train stations, I ALWAYS give people a buck or two. You just never know.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,001,427 times
In this case, I blame the cop.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,432,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
there used to be a bum here in Denver that had a sign and all it said is

"I wont lie, I just need a damn beer" he seemed to do quite well lol.

I usually offer to get them a taxi, or other alternatives to get around such as getting gas for the car that supposedly ran out around the corner. about 99% of the time, they get mad. I will also offer to buy food for a beggar on the street, I have had many that were extremely grateful, and others that did not want that kind of help. Usually if they were grateful i would stop by regularly with more food for them.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,867,015 times
An even better one is the famous "I need some money for gas, my car ran out right down the road" After telling the person no, I drive down the road and, surprise, there is no car there! A typical crackhead move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or