Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 PM

181 posts, read 707,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
If smokers are not allowed to smoke in public, then I don't want to see anyone fat eat a candy bar in front of my face. Or I don't want anyone who has kids that **** themselves at any store that I shop at. You have bad gas? You best go home, I don't want to smell it.
Careful, you're going to inspire more ridiculous laws! I'm sure there's some ambitious politician somewhere looking for a new bill to introduce just for the sake of media attention.........at the very least!

The sad thing is, I'm really not joking about what I said above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Restaurants, I see your point. It's not too burdensome to have to wait until you get outside to light up.

But, when you cannot smoke in a bar, that's pushing things a little too far. Were people under the impression that booze joints were health clubs?

Agreed, I can stomach the ban on smoking in restaurants, even though I'd rather the govt stay out of it. I made a little fibb before, I do NOT go to restaurants that allow smoking. I cannot eat while inhaling second hand smoke.

Bars, now thats just silly. Dance clubs maybe, but bars? lol. The main activity is drinking large amounts of alcohol. At least clubs you're SUPPOSED to engage in some physical activity. It makes SOME sense to ban smoking there.

The thing that really gets under my skin about it is the taxation without representation. In states like NY it can cost up to $7 a pack for cigarettes. TWO THIRDS Of the price is TAX!! How can you tax these folks so heavily, and then give them ZERO representation for it? It's unconstitutional in my opinion. Cities and states that ban smoking in public places should not be entitled to tax revenues from the sale of cigarettes, period.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQLifer View Post
Careful, you're going to inspire more ridiculous laws! I'm sure there's some ambitious politician somewhere looking for a new bill to introduce just for the sake of media attention.........at the very least!

The sad thing is, I'm really not joking about what I said above.
Hey, I'd support a ban on bad gas and body odor! Been stuck next to someone with BO too many times, and I think we need more government control...

We've already discussed this subject ad-nauseum on another thread, so I'll just summarize my thoughts. I'm a smoker who lives in California, and I've survived our strict smoking laws... I'm perfectly okay with not smoking in restaurants & other public buildings (even I think the smell is gross while eating!). However, I'm NOT okay with the recent "total bans", which are being proposed in Bay Area towns like Belmont - this means no smoking ANYwhere outside, even far from a building. That's ridiculous in my opinion, and would be enough to make me move. I'm also annoyed by airports, since many of them have done away with smoking rooms... times when you're stuck waiting for a delayed flight, but can't risk exiting security, we should have somewhere to light up!! But anyway, until I see fewer massive SUVs around here, I won't apologize for my "evil smoking" outside...

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Exactly! I couldn't careless if you smoke or not. I don't smoke anymore. It was on and off for awhile for me, but now i'm completely off cigarettes.

But I don't think others should have to sit in their own homes just to have a smoke. This argument was brought up before.

If smokers are not allowed to smoke in public, then I don't want to see anyone fat eat a candy bar in front of my face. Or I don't want anyone who has kids that **** themselves at any store that I shop at. You have bad gas? You best go home, I don't want to smell it.

Saying you can't smoke in public places like bars, restaurants, and bowling alleys, is the most retarded thing ever. That's just saying, if you smoke, you're not allowed to have a social life. And places like bars get most of their business from smokers, and so do bowling alleys.

And yes, it is disgusting sometimes, but it's no different than that fat kid that just shoved 6 twix in his mouth. I find that pretty disgusting, and a filthy habit.

I don't see the connection between smoking in public and a fat "kid" eating six twix.

The overeater is not hurting anyone but himself, but the smoker is hurting many because we have to breathe second-hand smoke and for those of us who are allergic to the smoke, we get to become all congested and wind up with a sore throat and coughing. Then what it's doing to our lungs is not so great either.

Someone eating twix doesn't affect me at all and I never heard that passing gas is going to ruin anyone's health. Yes, it's unpleasant but isn't going to damage anyone's health.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

I don't see the connection between smoking in public and a fat "kid" eating six twix.

The overeater is not hurting anyone but himself, but the smoker is hurting many because we have to breathe second-hand smoke and for those of us who are allergic to the smoke, we get to become all congested and wind up with a sore throat and coughing. Then what it's doing to our lungs is not so great either.

Someone eating twix doesn't affect me at all and I never heard that passing gas is going to ruin anyone's health. Yes, it's unpleasant but isn't going to damage anyone's health.
You're missing the point. The poster pointed out that it's "unpleasant and they don't want to have to smell it" and I pointed out that it's disgusting to have to watch fat people shove their faces with food. And I'm allergic to pollen, mold, mildew, and a whole plethora of other things, so I must then have to lobby congress so that NO ONE can plant flowers outside, or anything that has spores that could potentially make me sneeze. And stop nature from producing any type of molds or mildew.

And are you sure about farting? You do know that too much methane can KILL you right?

Cigarettes of today are unhealthy yes. But back then when they were completely sot weed, it was much much healthier. It didn't have all the extra things that are in them now.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:43 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,114 times
Im for restricting how many twinkies you can eat. The medical burden on society is horrendous from over weight people. Fat people are next! get on the scales before you eat out.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

What about people like myself, who are allergic to many perfumes and beauty products?? I can be "damaged" by sitting next to someone with heavy perfume, so should we make laws about that too? I'm also highly allergic to Christmas trees, so we'd better get rid of those in public places!

I'm not trying to defend cigarettes or say they're healthy, but we do have to draw the line somewhere... as I said earlier, I'm okay with restrictions on smokers, but some places are going too far with it. You simply cannot get cancer from standing downwind of an outdoor smoker, or even from sitting near them at a bar... unless you're at that bar 24/7, in which case you might have another problem to deal with.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 AM

I just realized an interesting hypocrisy....

Most (if not all) second-hand cancer cases are people who live with a smoker, and are therefore exposed to it on a daily basis & in confined space. These "total smoking bans" that are being proposed allow smoking in your own home, but not in public areas... so basically, they don't care if you're at risk, unless you happen to be on commercial/public property. If these people really cared about our health, they'd be trying to outlaw cigarettes altogether - don'tcha think??

Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What about people like myself, who are allergic to many perfumes and beauty products?? I can be "damaged" by sitting next to someone with heavy perfume, so should we make laws about that too? I'm also highly allergic to Christmas trees, so we'd better get rid of those in public places!

I'm not trying to defend cigarettes or say they're healthy, but we do have to draw the line somewhere... as I said earlier, I'm okay with restrictions on smokers, but some places are going too far with it. You simply cannot get cancer from standing downwind of an outdoor smoker, or even from sitting near them at a bar... unless you're at that bar 24/7, in which case you might have another problem to deal with.
You are right; I have the same problem with women's perfume and can't even use it myself. For some reason, what men wear doesn't make me cough and choke.

We should ban vehicles too because the fumes from them can damage anyone. Just kidding!!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,689,828 times
Restaurants and Bars aren't "public places". These are privately-owned businesses where the public is INVITED. No one is obligated to enter their establishments. If you don't like the food, atmosphere, the flatulents, the perfumes, the fat people eating, STAY OUT. The market will decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies