Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 02:38 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nice attempt at diversion. Smoking is still a privilege, not a right, and smokers who smoke in public and disregard others who do not want to be exposed to it are the ones who are fostering more and more restrictive regulations.
I smoked cigars for 50 years , I did consider it a right, besides a good part of those years cigars and pipes were quite “ in” . Tobacco shops were all around, in malls too, I did have my places though, it was a personal thing. To me there was little better than a good Cuban cigar and a snifter of aged brandy or rum after a meal. I never could see smoking while eating as it was just not right in my mind, after all that’s why they invented drawing rooms , and in later years, cigar bars and clubs. I hated cigarettes , they caused me to cough for some reason. I always thought it was the burning of paper, maybe. I had a high stress job, in the brokerage business, the best way for me to relax a bit , to make deals come together, with a phone in each ear, was a good five dollar cigar , Cuban if I could get it.

In later years, after I retired , cigars did become an expensive habit, and as well the smoking world was getting smaller. There were times when I did wish I had not started , now so long ago. Seven years ago my ENT guy found cancer in one of my tonsils , it was that day cruisin along in my Porsche 911 cabriolet, after taking the call, that I did throw out my half smoked cigar , I never looked back since...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 02:42 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Smoking in public is a privilege, not a right, and smokers have no right to impose their smoke on others, including children.

I never sat in a "non-smoking" section in a restaurant where you could not smell smoke from the "smoking" section.

Enough already. There are now options to get nicotine that do not involve smoking cigarettes. Smokers need to choose one to use when they are in public and need a fix.

I know. What a joke. Most ventilation systems are not high quality enough to separate the smoke. I was so glad when most restaurants and bars banned smoking and continue to do so for other areas. Cigarette smoke permeates everything and you often can’t get away from it. My next door neighbor in my condo complex was a heavy smoker and a patio dweller. I couldn’t even have my slider door open without having a huge powerful fan blowing the smoke back into their patio. I’ll be driving behind one of them and the smoke plumes coming out of their vehicle windows is astounding and then my air vents suck it in to my car or the open windows if it’s a cooler day. As for a smoking room at work that can be helpful I guess but wonder how many breaks they get per day to go in there. Most of the smokers I’ve worked with over the years are on break every 35-40 minutes, plus their lunch break. They’re actually on break about 2 1/2 hours per 8 hour shift while the rest of us just take our regular breaks . I detest the smell and the cigarette butts that are tossed everywhere.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Smoking is banned in just aboit every where these days and the price of cigarettes has also rocketed whilst number of smokers in the west are deciining fast.

Since 2007 a national ban in enclosed environments came in to force which icludes a ban on smoke in shops, shopping centres/malls, businesses, offices, public buildings, leisure facilities, educational facilities, transport systems, bars/pubs/clubs and eating places whilst local suthorities have placed further bans in relation to some public spaces including childrens playgrounds in some parks and it's even illegal to smoke in your own car in the UK if you have someone under the age of 18 in the vehicle.

I can't say that I encounter many smokers any more in the UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-11-2018 at 04:36 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
All through your anti-smoking Nazi ramblings you missed the other information available. Certainly a "D" if there ever was one. Look, I'm a FORMER smoker and I don't like smelling it any more than most others BUT I also believe that smokers have rights as well. Just as many rights as those who dump on scents by the gallon, smoke dope or whatever and those who light up wood for any reason.

Here's just a couple:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/635819...causes-cancer/

https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health
Sure, smokers have rights, but they are secondary to the rights of the overwhelming majority NOT to have their breathing air fouled by toxic airborne feces.

BTW, a D is the LAST thing I would ever be, politically. Gave up on being an R because of all he can-kicking and inaction.

Do you also think beer drinkers have a right to urinate in the public drinking water supply or into drinking fountains. After all, they have rights too?

BTW, I've missed nothing.
BTW, nobody uses scents by the gallon

Your post scores a solid "Epic Fail".

Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you're truly a patriot in this country, you'll consume tobacco products, as tobacco saved us from being controlled by Great Britain. When we were trying to get the tobacco-addicted Brits out of this country, who coveted our tobacco fields, Benjamin Franklin was sent to Paris to try and get the bankers there to help fund a rebellion against the British. They demanded 5 million pounds of tobacco for collateral for the loan, as the French had become as addicted to tobacco as the British.

So there! Without tobacco, we might still be under British rule!

So light up, smoke or chew, and be a patriot!
Tobacco is filthy and those who use it are filthy, NOT patriotic.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Smoking is banned in just aboit every where these days and the price of cigarettes has also rocketed whilst number of smokers in the west are deciining fast.

Since 2007 a national ban in enclosed environments came in to force which icludes a ban on smoke in shops, shopping centres/malls, businesses, offices, public buildings, leisure facilities, educational facilities, transport systems, bars/pubs/clubs and eating places whilst local suthorities have placed further bans in relation to some public spaces including childrens playgrounds in some parks and it's even illegal to smoke in your own car in the UK if you have someone under the age of 18 in the vehicle.
Cigars
I can't say that I encounter many smokers any more in the UK.
Your Country was always known for smoking and for all the tools that go with it. Famous was the UK with names like Dunhill, all around the world along with Churchill cigars as well the person. Pipes and all the blending of tobaccos, the tobacconist shops. It would seem to me , much remains, maybe just not as popular Or public.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Sure, smokers have rights, but they are secondary to the rights of the overwhelming majority NOT to have their breathing air fouled by toxic airborne feces.

BTW, a D is the LAST thing I would ever be, politically. Gave up on being an R because of all he can-kicking and inaction.

Do you also think beer drinkers have a right to urinate in the public drinking water supply or into drinking fountains. After all, they have rights too?

BTW, I've missed nothing.
BTW, nobody uses scents by the gallon

Your post scores a solid "Epic Fail".
the guv shouldnt have the right to tell someone what to do in their own place of business, same as your own home

Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.

Why not allow businesses to decide. They can be smoking or non smoking and let the public decide with where they spend their money.

I don't smoke but I also don't like draconian laws either.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Tobacco is filthy and those who use it are filthy, NOT patriotic.
That’s a lot of people you think are filthy. Including many billionaires, political leaders and royalty, quite the blanket statement.

If smokers want to smoke outside even in public places, I’m perfectly fine with that. After all, they pay local, state and federal taxes out the nose for the privilege.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
the guv shouldnt have the right to tell someone what to do in their own place of business, same as your own home
Smoking is still legal, in many countries it’s everywhere as it was in the US years ago. ....and it’s still legal, no permit required to buy a pack of cigarettes other than age. So , smoking is a right , there is NO privledge involved like driving a car on public roads. In other words , smoking is more like buying booze. As long as you are of age,you can buy all you want. And in many states drinking a beer while driving is legal too , it’s the results that are regulated by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies