Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So now you're "Normal"? Bwaaaaa haaaa haaa haaaaaa. ROFLMAO... You've got no idea...
Yes. You're the one terrified by Cell Phones. Back under your rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Let me break it down to simpler terms.

Two people in an office, A and B

Both are human, so both are breathing and in an area they have a right to be.

Person A Loves to burn malodorous incense that stinks so bad, and is so laced with toxins, that it drives person B out of the area to seek refuge from the stench, and to find breathable air. Person A has just violated person B's fights.

Person B likes to play music so loud it hurts the ears of others (he is is a bit deaf) and causes person A to seek refuge elsewhere. Person B has just violated person A's rights.

Now both have a right to do what they like to do (burning incense/playing music), but neither has a right to do so in such a way as to violate the rights of others.

As my Dad used to say, "your right to swing your fist ends at the other person's nose".

Now, I hope you can get your mind around this concept that you don't have the right to exercise a right to and beyond the point where it violates other's rights.

For example, you have a right to walk down the sidewalk, but you don't have the right to do so in such a manner as to run into others thereby violating their rights.

In an era where almost everyone smoked, it wasn't an issue, but now, with only a tiny percentage of people need the crutch of tobacco to get through there day, the game has changed.

MJ is now legal in many places. Would you feel it is ok for a doper to light up a joint right next to you and your family? Of course not - no sane person would.
What you're missing is that as employees of owner C , the rights of employee A and B end at their noses (as your own father said) and thus can abide by the wishes of owner C or seek employment elsewhere. Neither is entitled to the money of owner C, a.k.a paycheck
Just as you rule your own household so should you be able to rule your business. If you were to allow the smoking of MJ in your home or business, I'd simply leave or if knowing such beforehand, never enter in the first place. Just as I dont have the right to light up in your home or business if expressly forbidden. Your rules, your house.You seem to think you can impose your rules on everyone else's house. Sorry snowflake life doesnt work that way

Old 09-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What you're missing is that as employees of owner C , the rights of employee A and B end at their noses (as your own father said) and thus can abide by the wishes of owner C or seek employment elsewhere. Neither is entitled to the money of owner C, a.k.a paycheck
Just as you rule your own household so should you be able to rule your business. If you were to allow the smoking of MJ in your home or business, I'd simply leave or if knowing such beforehand, never enter in the first place. Just as I dont have the right to light up in your home or business if expressly forbidden. Your rules, your house.You seem to think you can impose your rules on everyone else's house. Sorry snowflake life doesnt work that way
You're completely lost. It is simple. Nobody has a right to cause someone else to ingest tobacco residue, byproducts etc. The exact circumstances and situs are irrelevant. You've utterly confused yourself by overcomplicating the issue.

BTW I don't want your ashes or butts in the food or beverage I am consuming either, and I suspect you don't, either, even if the business owner says it's OK with him.

Last edited by Open-D; 09-19-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
You're completely lost. It is simple. Nobody has a right to cause someone else to ingest tobacco residue, byproducts etc. the exact circumstances and situs are irrelevant. You,ve utterly confused yourself by overcomplicating the issue. Nope, im being cosistent. Its you who are complicating by applying one set of rules to homeowners and another to business.
BTW I don't want you ashes or butts in the food or beverage I am consuming.
As already mentioned several times, I dont smoke and I'm with you on not wanting to breath secondary smoke or eat their ashes. But you and I don't have the right to tell others what they can or can't do on their own property so when confronted with such its up to us to leave or not enter.
Its not complicated, ownership makes the rules you follow them or go away. easy peasy

Old 09-19-2018, 12:56 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Smoking was one of the things I was sooooo wrong on when I was a statist.

You may smoke on your property. You may spoke on unused land (what a statist would call "public land"). When on private property of another you must follow their rules or leave.

Freedom of association. Freedom of movement. Study and choose wisely my friends.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As already mentioned several times, I dont smoke and I'm with you on not wanting to breath secondary smoke or eat their ashes. But you and I don't have the right to tell others what they can or can't do on their own property so when confronted with such its up to us to leave or not enter.
Its not complicated, ownership makes the rules you follow them or go away. easy peasy
Ownership of property does not include a right to violate or authorize others, to violate, the rights of someone legally on or in that property., and the more people like you seem blind to this simple and obvious reality, the more onerous laws on the issue will be, all in protepcting the rights of the non-offender.

You continue to overcomplicate the issue. Further, rights associated with the person trump rights associated with mere property.

In other words, the rights of individuals not to be personally violated have primacy over property rights.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:14 PM

25,694 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
You are slow on the pickup, aren't you. Hint: There isn't any such thing as Chemtrails, anymore than there is a danger from cell phone "radiation".
You are the 21st century equivalent of an early 1960s smoker. Of course, as a smoker, you are not going to believe that there is any ill effect from smoking.

Fact is, not only are there some rather concerning studies about the radiation issue, but there are some even more concerning studies of the adverse psychological effects of smartphones. You were not alive (I presume) when there was no such a thing as cell phones. I was. I see a distinct difference in the way people communicate and behave between the two times. And it's not an improvement. "Phone Zombies" are getting frighteningly common everywhere. They are as "out of it" as a heroin addict is after a fix. If they didn't have that phone in their hand or in front of their face for, say a couple days, they would react a lot like a junkie in withdrawals.

So go ahead and keep denying it. An addict always does. See if you can live without that little screen in front of your face for two weeks. My bet is you'd be an absolute wreck after a week.

And you may as well give your Red Herring up. Chemtrails have nothing to do with phone addiction or second hand radiation.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM

25,694 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Yes. You're the one terrified by Cell Phones. Back under your rock.
Nobody is terrified of cell phones. Nobody is terrified of cigarettes. It's simply that some people see their ill effects and some do not, even in the presence of scientific studies to back it up.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:38 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Pot smoking is a disgusting, filthy habit that the public should not have to endure.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Pot smoking is a disgusting, filthy habit that the public should not have to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies