Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You have no right to smoke in public, where it affects other people. You have the privilege to smoke in public, which is regulated.

If there are other people in those "open spaces" who do not wish to be exposed to your cigarette smoke why do you smoke there? Why not use a nicotine substitute when you are going to be around other people?
Because, overwhelmingly, smoker-pigs don't give a damn about anyone or anything EXCEPT satiating their drug addiction. To them, it is "nicotine, uber alles", and the misery, discomfort, suffering, and even death of others from their toxic effluent is meaningless to them.

They are utter and absolute garbage, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
disgusting is a little strong i think considering 70% of the adult population used to smoke.
70%?

Quote:
self-reported adult smoking peaked in 1954 at 45%, and remained at 40% or more through the early 1970s, but has since gradually declined. The average rate of smoking across the decades fell from 40% in the 1970s to 32% in the 1980s, 26% in the 1990s, and 24% since 2000.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/109048/...ming-down.aspx

Old 10-01-2018, 02:16 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Agreed, I can stomach the ban on smoking in restaurants, even though I'd rather the govt stay out of it. I made a little fibb before, I do NOT go to restaurants that allow smoking. I cannot eat while inhaling second hand smoke.

Bars, now thats just silly. Dance clubs maybe, but bars? lol. The main activity is drinking large amounts of alcohol. At least clubs you're SUPPOSED to engage in some physical activity. It makes SOME sense to ban smoking there.

The thing that really gets under my skin about it is the taxation without representation. In states like NY it can cost up to $7 a pack for cigarettes. TWO THIRDS Of the price is TAX!! How can you tax these folks so heavily, and then give them ZERO representation for it? It's unconstitutional in my opinion. Cities and states that ban smoking in public places should not be entitled to tax revenues from the sale of cigarettes, period.

-TT
Where I live some brands of cigarettes are $15.00 for a 25 pack. The brand I smoke are $12.00 . Not every smoker develops a dependence on nicotine but those who do are not likely to ever quit especially those who have severe mental illnesses (bi-polar in my case).

Quote:
Cities and states that ban smoking in public places should not be entitled to tax revenues from the sale of cigarettes, period.
The sin tax on these is 60% and our government is making a lot of money which they say goes to health care. The anti-smoking campaign the government has taken up is a shaming tactic.

Smoking has been banned in all restaurants both indoor and out, from the grounds of hospitals and government buildings, airports, and institutions including prisons. There are fewer designated smoking areas. The smoking rooms at airports are closed now.

The government here legalized gambling and rakes in more tax money and now the federal government has legalized marijuana across the country, more tax revenue.

The other thing is alcohol a dangerous concoction and over the years we can still get a bottle of vodka for the same price as in the early 2000s whereas cigarettes prices have been hiked by 64% over the same time frame.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I will use Ephedrine pills as an example, (mini thins, diet, energy pills, sold at gas stations), used to be, you could buy as many as you liked every day, they changed this about 12 yrs ago, now, its restricted to one package per day, per person, they have to show ID and the cashier has to record their info on a registry, these are provided by DEA in our stores. We have to turn them in monthly. The cashier also has to check the registry when someone is buying a pack, to make sure they havent been in already that day.

This was done because people were buying numerous packs and using them to make meth. It has been pretty effective, the people that used it to make meth know we do this now, so we dont get many buying those pills anymore, I guess they have probably go online to buy in bulk now.
But they were using it to make an illegal product. Cigarettes are legal. I don't follow the logic.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, just those who are part of the Nazi state hive mind who about every little thing that bothers them and want to control everything via big government.

I'm fine with no smoking INSIDE of public places but outside is where you . In other words suck it up buttercup, life can be a bitc# sometimes so hitch up your panties and deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
To all you smoker-pigs out there, to borrow JimmyJ's advice, when you are required by law to respect the rights of others who don't want to breath your filth, remember "suck it up, buttercup, life can be a bitc# sometimes, so hitch up your panties and deal with it by toking somewhere else."
Yes, so helpful, isn't it? A hostile addict wanting to justify their behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Because, overwhelmingly, smoker-pigs don't give a damn about anyone or anything EXCEPT satiating their drug addiction. To them, it is "nicotine, uber alles", and the misery, discomfort, suffering, and even death of others from their toxic effluent is meaningless to them.

They are utter and absolute garbage, IMHO.
They don't care.

I don't know about all smokers, but I have seen them being of the same mentality - outwardly selfish, rude, overbearing, resentful, self-righteous, uncaring, childish. It is an indicator how they would otherwise behave in life, having that chip in their shoulder.

I recall work environments where smokers could leave the room frequently to go smoke and stink up all the outer doorways, patios. It amazed me that they were able to do this whenever they wanted, when another could otherwise not leave the room to make an important phone call with the pay phone, unless on a break. Another could not just go lean against a wall, take a walk or speak to another, but it was fine for a smoker to go sit on the patio, relax and get a hit off something, every hour. (I don't know how that is today in workplaces).

I remember how when raining, there would be a bunch of smokers crammed up against the glass doors under an overhang....rain, hail, snow, cold or wind will not deter them. I recall early on, a workplace where smokers smoked at their desks...the smoke was so thick in the room and others just had to endure this. No wonder I later developed Asthma.

Thank God there are more restrictions within public places and housing. Smokers here are supposed to do so in the parking lot, but comes in windows when smokers drive down the driveways or wafting in thru vents. When weather is HOT, it's difficult trying to air out, besides the ventilation system is old and seems to not work properly.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 10-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Additions, adjustment.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:25 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
What? Whether it’s 1% or 100% smoking is digusting. I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I’ve never smoked and do not particularly like the smell of smoke but why be so intolerant and nasty about it? I would rather sit next to a smoker on a plane that smells like smoke than an overweight non smoker who spills into my seat.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, so helpful, isn't it? A hostile addict wanting to justify their behavior.

They don't care.

I don't know about all smokers, but I have seen them being of the same mentality - outwardly selfish, rude, overbearing, resentful, self-righteous, uncaring, childish. It is an indicator how they would otherwise behave in life, having that chip in their shoulder.

I recall work environments where smokers could leave the room frequently to go smoke and stink up all the outer doorways, patios. It amazed me that they were able to do this whenever they wanted, when another could otherwise not leave the room to make an important phone call with the pay phone, unless on a break. Another could not just go lean against a wall, take a walk or speak to another, but it was fine for a smoker to go sit on the patio, relax and get a hit off something, every hour. (I don't know how that is today in workplaces).

I remember how when raining, there would be a bunch of smokers crammed up against the glass doors under an overhang....rain, hail, snow, cold or wind will not deter them. I recall early on, a workplace where smokers smoked at their desks...the smoke was so thick in the room and others just had to endure this. No wonder I later developed Asthma.

Thank God there are more restrictions within public places and housing. Smokers here are supposed to do so in the parking lot, but comes in windows when smokers drive down the driveways or wafting in thru vents. When weather is HOT, it's difficult trying to air out, besides the ventilation system is old and seems to not work properly.
Well said and perfectly true.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’ve never smoked and do not particularly like the smell of smoke but why be so intolerant and nasty about it? I would rather sit next to a smoker on a plane that smells like smoke than an overweight non smoker who spills into my seat.
Sure, you just hold your breath the whole trip. And when you get to your destination, throw away your now-stinking clothes, and put on another set of togs, and don't forget to shampoo the filthy stench out of your hair.

I'm nasty, because their filthiness and contempt for regular people is far MORE nasty, and, well, I am just returning their fire, in my own small way.

And I am not intolerant, I am defending myself.

The smoker-pigs and their nicotine uber alles are the intolerant ones. They can't tolerate even mild and wholly reasonable controls designed to keep their stench and their toxic airborne sewerage from being INFLICTED on others.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Have they raised the age for military service
That's federal, not state or city.

Quote:
to purchase a gun
21 to purchase a handgun, that's federal.

Quote:
own and drive a car, enter into contracts, get a credit card, etc? Is one an adult at 18 or not
Eighteen is the AGE of MAJORITY, that does not mean they can/should be allowed to have the legal authority to do anything at 18 that a 21 year old or older can do. You have to be 25 to be a U.S. Representative in Congress, 30 for a Senator, 35 for President. Simply be cause you can VOTE at 18, does not mean a person can be the legal age to be President.

Age restricted products are not Uniform in nature, never have been.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
The government has fully rendered it's opinion that one is not, in fact, an adult at age 18. You need to me 21 to purchase alcohol - federal law.
No, it's not a federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies