Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

There is I think something of a "third way" aura about him. He hasn't been around very long and doesn't fit any of the existing stereotypes or pigeonholes. You're almost forced to deal with him as a separate case. And when they did that, people very much liked what they saw. Particularly in comparison to what they have been accustomed to seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
More zippity doo doo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Did I say handouts, I meant to say entitlements. You know, free money for not working. Taking [working] taxpayer's money and giving it to people that don't want to work or deserve it, e.g. spreading the wealth. You know, the lower level people. Yeah, those that voted for Obama. The people that will never amount to anything. Yep...those are the ones that voted for a man that has never run a business, been a mayor or governor. But the man sure could promise the world to you people and talk like a slick tougue devil...that some even call the anti-christ. Yep, that's your man that you are so proud of.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

BEST YET KIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Kooter - is your name a derivative of the slang term Kootie? IIRC kootie refers to a flea. Fleas are bloodsucking parasites known for their ability to carry disease and create irritation out of proportion to their size. Fleas are also neatly universally despised. You fit the bill.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I am so pleased that we voted not because of his race, not in spite of his race but because we were indifferent to his race. We looked at the MAN and saw a leader and a leader that we wanted to follow. Perhaps American has started to grow up and to grow into what we were meant to be.
A leader of what? Why did you want to follow him? Do you know what he's going to do? Do you know how he's going to do it? I've yet to hear anything of substance from Obama. What's the plan, please tell me? I wouldn't want to be in his shoes, that much I do know.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM

name one thing that bush was the leader of, that didn't fail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
A leader of what? Why did you want to follow him? Do you know what he's going to do? Do you know how he's going to do it? I've yet to hear anything of substance from Obama. What's the plan, please tell me? I wouldn't want to be in his shoes, that much I do know.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM

16 posts, read 37,553 times
Quote:
Yep...those are the ones that voted for a man that has never run a business, been a mayor or governor. But the man sure could promise the world to you people and talk like a slick tougue devil...that some even call the anti-christ. Yep, that's your man that you are so proud of.
Do you think 'ole W had good business sense?!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
Quote:
Did I say handouts, I meant to say entitlements. You know, free money for not working. Taking [working] taxpayer's money and giving it to people that don't want to work or deserve it, e.g. spreading the wealth. You know, the lower level people. Yeah, those that voted for Obama. The people that will never amount to anything. Yep...those are the ones that voted for a man that has never run a business, been a mayor or governor. But the man sure could promise the world to you people and talk like a slick tougue devil...that some even call the anti-christ. Yep, that's your man that you are so proud of.

How exactly is what Palin and Alaska does with taking money via tax from the oil companies and giving it to state residents at any and all income levels any different than the notion of 'spreading the wealth?'

Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that not only did the US elect and African American to the Presidency of the United States, but elected an African American whose name is Barak Hussein Obama! My god!

As an African American male, who sent part of his youth living under Jim Crow and as a result couldn't; play in the nearest park; who had to walk by a white school in order to get to the "colored" one 6 blocks further away; whose high school had to sue the Catholic Archdiocese so that it could be included in the all white Catholic Athletic League, I am simply astounded.

During the campaign I spoke with numerous African Americans my age and older who refused to believe that white Americans would either elect or allow to be elected a man of color. We all lived in fear, and still do, that Obama would fall as so many black leaders from Octavius V. Catto to Martin Luther King to an assassin's bullet. We wondered how our collective experience as a people believe that THIS country would look past it's horrendous history and usher in a new era.

In his last speech before being struck down by an assassin's bullet, Martin Luther King said:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Many of us, black, brown, red, yellow and white, have finally gotten to the mountain top from which King looked out across at the promised land and its a marvelous sight.
This coming from a white male, I have to say that his election win is based on one thing. He was and is the right man for the job .

Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:

Get in on the gravy train, kid.

Go to your local welfare office and sign up for those big bucks. Don't wait for the long line to form.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that not only did the US elect and African American to the Presidency of the United States, but elected an African American whose name is Barak Hussein Obama! My god!

As an African American male, who sent part of his youth living under Jim Crow and as a result couldn't; play in the nearest park; who had to walk by a white school in order to get to the "colored" one 6 blocks further away; whose high school had to sue the Catholic Archdiocese so that it could be included in the all white Catholic Athletic League, I am simply astounded.

During the campaign I spoke with numerous African Americans my age and older who refused to believe that white Americans would either elect or allow to be elected a man of color. We all lived in fear, and still do, that Obama would fall as so many black leaders from Octavius V. Catto to Martin Luther King to an assassin's bullet. We wondered how our collective experience as a people believe that THIS country would look past it's horrendous history and usher in a new era.

In his last speech before being struck down by an assassin's bullet, Martin Luther King said:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Many of us, black, brown, red, yellow and white, have finally gotten to the mountain top from which King looked out across at the promised land and its a marvelous sight.

It's about time. It was bound to happen one day. Obama is an exceptional candidate and I think he'll do a very good job as president.

But in all honesty, Bush and Cheney running the country deep into the ditch over the past eight years set up the conditions for Obama's victory. If the country wasn't in such bad shape and clamoring for change, I doubt that Obama would have won.

But heck yeah, I am so glad he did. I hope he does for politics what Jackie Robinson did for baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies