Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 PM

540 posts, read 629,777 times

Advertisements

Let us assume that Obama turns out to be a moderate,centrist. Isn't there an inherent lie here that points to someone that cannot be trusted if one strikes a phony pose to gain power. Is there any politician out there that is for real? McCain was too left for me, as would be Attila The Hun but I believe him to be a decent man that could be trusted. Obama, at this time ,I believe to be a product of leftist academic indoctrination on a learning curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
"During the campaign I spoke with numerous African Americans my age and older who refused to believe that white Americans would either elect or allow to be elected a man of color. We all lived in fear, and still do, that Obama would fall as so many black leaders from Octavius V. Catto to Martin Luther King to an assassin's bullet. We wondered how our collective experience as a people believe that THIS country would look past it's horrendous history and usher in a new era."

As a white male with a conservative pedigree I would like to congratulate all my fellow Americans of African heritage on finally seeing one of their own elected to the top office. Believe it or not, almost all whites, as far as I know, were happy to see a black man finally elected to the office. It's been a long time coming. I would have preferred a more conservative candidate, but their aren't as many of those on hand. J.D. Watts comes to mind but he really isn't on the radar right now. I would love to see him lead the second Republican Revolution. But I have a selfish reason for wanting a black president. As a working class white male, I am unfortunately a member of the one group on the receiving end of the missed opportunities that affirmative action provides others.

What affirmative action was intended to do from its inception was a worthy goal. But in practice, working class whites have paid a terrible price for something they had nothing to do with in the first place. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "my ancestors were in Europe when that was going on" and yet we are the ones to pay the price. The whites who benefited from the inequalities of the races in years past are wealthy whites, not carpenters, plumbers and auto mechanics. If we had benefited, we would be doing much better.

I live in MI. Our state has one of the two worst economies in the US with jobless numbers two full points above the national average. The situation that exists here for working class white males is nearly hopeless, but not so for blacks who fill the ranks of major corporations and government. And don't look for any help from the state government if you want to start a business. The MI SBA has three business loan applications. The first is for blacks only, the second is for females only and finally a third application is for "others". I'm "others" because I was born white and male. I need a loan because I was born to working class parents. So I'm screwed.

I hope that having a black president will help to change this oppressive system that penalizes only working class and poor white males. Maybe we can start the conversation at least.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCC View Post
In point of fact, everyone should know that Obama is only partially black; he had a white grandmother. More importantly, he hasn't even finished his first term in the U.S. Senate, his absenteeism is remarkably high, his policy statements have been sparse, and he has been AWOL since Election Day -- not very leader-like, IMO. There is a lot of blind emotion supporting him.
AWOL.. umm.. where haev YOU been..

He's been sitting with Bush, he's been putting together his cabinet, working on the financial crisis with his people for what he will do when he takes office AND he did an interview for one of the news shows..

Basically..he's been preparing to take office!! What planet have you been on these past weeks

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
In point of fact, everyone should know that Obama is only partially black; he had a white grandmother. More importantly, he hasn't even finished his first term in the U.S. Senate, his absenteeism is remarkably high, his policy statements have been sparse, and he has been AWOL since Election Day -- not very leader-like, IMO. There is a lot of blind emotion supporting him.
You must be living a cave somewhere. Don't you have TV? Don't you have radio? You certainly have the Internet or you wouldn't be posting here. Google is your friend - use it. As others have mentioned, Obama has been busy, busy, busy. Just because he's not been in public doesn't mean he hasn't been working. The stuff he's doing now (putting together a Cabinet and staff) doesn't require making speeches. Usually right after the election the winner takes an extended vacation to "decompress" but Obama didn't do that. He went right to work.

If you expect your posts to be taken seriously by ANYONE you shouldn't make such still statements. The evidence of what Obama has been doing has been in the news EVERYWHERE - with word of new choices for his Cabinet etc, being made pretty every single day.

Ken

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
And Bush has been mentally absent for 8 years. And you want to cmplain about Obama. Sssshhheeeesh.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"During the campaign I spoke with numerous African Americans my age and older who refused to believe that white Americans would either elect or allow to be elected a man of color. We all lived in fear, and still do, that Obama would fall as so many black leaders from Octavius V. Catto to Martin Luther King to an assassin's bullet. We wondered how our collective experience as a people believe that THIS country would look past it's horrendous history and usher in a new era."

...As a white male with a conservative pedigree I would like to congratulate all my fellow Americans of African heritage on finally seeing one of their own elected to the top office....

...I have a selfish reason for wanting a black president. As a working class white male, I am unfortunately a member of the one group on the receiving end of the missed opportunities that affirmative action provides others....

...The whites who benefited from the inequalities of the races in years past are wealthy whites, not carpenters, plumbers and auto mechanics. If we had benefited, we would be doing much better....

I live in MI. Our state has one of the two worst economies in the US with jobless numbers two full points above the national average....

...The MI SBA has three business loan applications. The first is for blacks only, the second is for females only and finally a third application is for "others". I'm "others" because I was born white and male. I need a loan because I was born to working class parents. So I'm screwed...

...I hope that having a black president will help to change this oppressive system that penalizes only working class and poor white males. Maybe we can start the conversation at least...
Brother... the blacks in Michigan are in a worst state than you, believe me. Affirmative Action as we knew it, has quietly went the way of the dump heap in my neck of the woods. Maybe 20-30 years ago it was forefront but now...? Think about it... any businesses run by blacks or women around, where you live? I visited Michigan and didn't see any.

Check the racial profile in your community as to businesses... that might make you feel better. The racial politics of Jesse Jackson has become pretty much null and void. You haven't see him on tv lately, heralding the new age have you? Election night was it. Time to look for a new job, I guess.

Affirmative action has pretty much changed gears. It now means discrimination centered around age, sex preference, credit status, lack of health insurance, hiv positive, homeless, disabilities, race (all... latino, white etc) that sort of thing. You as a white poor male can sue now if you feel you have been discriminated against.

Many conservatives voted for Obama for the reason you stated as well as white racist (to bring on the race war). This election made strange bedfellows of us all I guess...

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 11-23-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM

2,051 posts, read 9,334,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
Let us assume that Obama turns out to be a moderate,centrist. Isn't there an inherent lie here that points to someone that cannot be trusted if one strikes a phony pose to gain power....
His pose wasn't really false... hes not the top liberal but a mixture of both conservative and liberal. McCain's caricature of him BEING the MOST liberal senator was parroted everywhere; Its false.. I checked out his voting record and didn't find him that way at all. When you have people repeating over and over a thing, its easy to take that as truth.

Check this out... an article that talks about another way to measure conservative/liberal voting. Obama was maybe 10th? or 16th? not sure... I was more interested in "why" he voted what he did than measure the vote as conservative/liberal. Thats on another website tho... here's these three...

PolitiFact | Several ratings rank Obama lower

University of California, San Diego, Dr. Keith T. Poole

http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/a...beral_hawk.php

Last edited by MadAtMcCain; 11-23-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies