Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I think we should not LOAN any money in the auto industry but should buy preferred stock with the bailout. That would, among other things, give the Treasury a couple of seats on the board of directors of these companies. This should have been done with the financial industry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
They've already reached a tentative agreement on a bailout.
no they haven't. They just asked the automakers to come back with a better plan and present it for a vote. This "agreement" was only between Democrats and automakers, and until January the Dems don't have a big enough majority to force this through without Republican support.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM

229 posts, read 348,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Couple things.

1) ...took over a sinking company and earned himself a $28million bonus... It was to replace the bonus he would have earned had he stayed at Boeng. He makes 8MM which may be too much but you wont hire any talent if you make them lose a 20MM bonus.
2) Again I have to ask. Are you prepared for 20% unemployment in MI, 14% in OH, 12% in IL and MO, 10% elsewhere?
Yes is a valid answer.
It wont get like that is not a valid answer.

Sometimes you are darned if you do and darned if you dont. I believe this one qualifies.
I personally have given thought to this aspect also. The lower rungs of the ladder should not have to suffer, but the bailout will just prolong the inevitable. These companies do not have any intention of correcting anything. Why have they not come up with a plan previously? Isn't that what the corporates are supposed to do? They are asking for money and still have no plan? Obviously, there will be serious unemployment, but they might find employment at the surviving car companies that are still around because they have chosen to do the right thing. I tend to believe that the remaining companies would naturally be more successful with less competition. I do not think it would be the best thing for the consumer, but I do believe that skilled autoworkers will find jobs available. I can not say concretely one way or another as I am not qualified. However, I do find this to be a likely scenario. Companies who operate poorly deserve to die. Are we willing to take less and less in the way of quality? Darned if you do and darned if you don't does seem to sum it up nicely though.

Last edited by manicotti; 11-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Didn't know if the original language would be considered offensive and innapropriate.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM

229 posts, read 348,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think we should not LOAN any money in the auto industry but should buy preferred stock with the bailout. That would, among other things, give the Treasury a couple of seats on the board of directors of these companies. This should have been done with the financial industry as well.
The idea of our failed and corrupt corporate government getting involved in another failed and corrupt corporation scares the bejesus out of me! No offense to you meant at all. Just a sentiment of mine.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM

152 posts, read 212,087 times
Default Just Say No

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Please everyone, write your Congressmen, Senators, etc., and urge them NOT to bail out the big 3 automakers. These companies operate under tremendous waste and greed. Overhead is inflated by union demands, outrageous pensions. They have no incentive to make and market a product that the public wants and now they are crying the economy is hurting, so they are hurting and so many people will be laid off.

I can sympathize with some of that reasoning. But all sympathy flies out the window (pun intended) when I hear that the heads of all 3 companies flew down to Washington on their corporate jets, to the tune of a cost of about $20,000 EACH. They could have flow first class commercial for $1500 each. And the head of Ford last year, took over a sinking company and earned himself a $28million bonus.

It's corporate welfare and the sense of 'entitlement' they have is not that much different than what plagues other segments of our society asking for public handouts.

NO BAILOUT!
Thank You OP, I've contacted my Congressman with my views. I am pleased to see that congress listened to our emails.
$14 billion auto bailout dies in Senate

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM

152 posts, read 212,087 times
Default Just Say No

President Bushis now changing his mind and considering bailout for the auto industry by using the bailout funds for Wall Street.
Contact President Bush now and tell him NO!!
president@whitehouse.gov

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post
President Bushis now changing his mind and considering bailout for the auto industry by using the bailout funds for Wall Street.
Contact President Bush now and tell him NO!!
president@whitehouse.gov
Thanks for the update. I just did this. I'm not hopeful though. Bush is a lame duck Pres and doesn't have to pander for votes. Obama has alreay promised he will push this through. The Senate's killing of the bailout only bought us a little time--and now it appears, no time, since Bush is determined to do this. UGH!: mad:

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Thanks for the update. I just did this. I'm not hopeful though. Bush is a lame duck Pres and doesn't have to pander for votes. Obama has alreay promised he will push this through. The Senate's killing of the bailout only bought us a little time--and now it appears, no time, since Bush is determined to do this. UGH!: mad:
Bush won't listen. He never listened to the American people before, so why should he start now?

I think we should bail out Chrysler when Chrysler comes and bails my car out of the driveway, where it sits stuck in the snow.

Four snow tires, 240lbs of sandbags in the trunk, Chrysler's FABULOUS "ESP" feature, and all I have is a big blue lawn ornament right now. I don't even have a steep driveway!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
I am totally against bailing them out, and already called the Senate to tell them so. Other manufacturing industries are hit hard too, and they work for way less than these people do, with less benefits. No one seesms to acre about the other industries though, do they. If I saw any sign of hey, we want to volunteer to take a 10-20% pay cut to prevent lay offs then I'd feel sympathy. I haven't seen that yet. If their average is $30 an hour they make over double what some of the highest workers on the floor in PCB manufacturing make. Not feeling too sorry for them.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I am totally against bailing them out, and already called the Senate to tell them so. Other manufacturing industries are hit hard too, and they work for way less than these people do, with less benefits. No one seesms to acre about the other industries though, do they. If I saw any sign of hey, we want to volunteer to take a 10-20% pay cut to prevent lay offs then I'd feel sympathy. I haven't seen that yet. If their average is $30 an hour they make over double what some of the highest workers on the floor in PCB manufacturing make. Not feeling too sorry for them.
Just wondering if you are waiting for a ten percent cut in every single person who works for the company or just union members? Seems no one else is being asked? Are you also expecting the folks who bargained in good faith for a package that included healthcare and retirement to just say "sure we really did not count on that for our retirement." Not paying current workers a higher salary is a matter of choice on both sides, but not meeting the obligations to those who already worked the hours and provided the services to the companies, that is theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies