Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
So, you've studied through all of it and believe some of it is relevant or all of it is relevant...word for word ?

You, STILL, haven't answered the question.
Yes, I HAVE answered the question. You just don't like the answer!

The answer is that you study through EVERYTHING. You question EVERYTHING. And you come to realize that some things were clearly cultural and time-oriented, while others were not.

Beyond that, you HAVE to ask point-by-point questions about specific issues and/or verses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
That is INCREDIBLY EASY to answer: You STUDY through ALL of it. You don't ignore the parts you don't like, and cling to a few you do.

You study through ALL of it - which is something you clearly have NOT done.

That said, you REALLY need to get over your hang-ups about homosexuality. You cannot even allow somebody to write, "this is what is said in these verses of the Bible" without going all ape nuts about it. YOU are the ones who are frothing at the mouth over this, not me.

What Todd said. I have studied the Bible and once I really started to comprehend it, it made no sense.

I don't have any hang ups about being gay. I have a problem with people trying to legislate their religion on my life.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I would please suggest that you posters DM each other back and forth instead of taking up another large thread on this issue.
Regards,
Mod GraniteStater

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM

240 posts, read 504,598 times
Quote:
Yes, I HAVE answered the question. You just don't like the answer!

The answer is that you study through EVERYTHING. You question EVERYTHING. And you come to realize that some things were clearly cultural and time-oriented, while others were not.

Beyond that, you HAVE to ask point-by-point questions about specific issues and/or verses.

So you do PICK AND CHOOSE.

You could of saved everyone alot of time by just admitting that at the beginning.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:
Which brings it full circle to what I said in the VERY BEGINNING of this discussion. YOU are CHOOSING to write of the Bible as non-sacred, antiquated and irrelevant.

You are free to do exactly that - which is what I said in my initial post.

Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. And don't be so arrogant as to assume that people who disagree with you are ignorant, uneducated, or backward.
The real point about Prop 8 and gay rights is that the Bible does not govern the US, the US Constitution does. And their is no mention of banning homosexuality or gay marriage. Its one of those individuals rights the constitution grants to individual citizens, the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]That is to the states as in state gov't or to the people as in individual rights.[/SIZE]

Last edited by SurfOmaha; 11-21-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
What Todd said. I have studied the Bible and once I really started to comprehend it, it made no sense.

I don't have any hang ups about being gay. I have a problem with people trying to legislate their religion on my life.
Then you dismiss the Bible as making no sense. That's your choice. And, as I've said REPEATEDLY, you're free to make that choice.

Further, it is OBVIOUS that you have some SERIOUS hang-ups about the whole gay issue. VERY serious hang-ups. Nobody here is trying to "legislate their religion" onto you life - least of all, me.

Your problem, in this whole discussion, is that you saw me simply write, "this is what the Bible says" and you saw red. From that point on you have WRONGLY assumed that I'm some Fred Phelps type, who is some gay-basher, or some such thing.

Settle down. Head down to the 13th Street Coffee Shop for awhile & relax. I am not your enemy. You are your own worst enemy when you fly off the handle and start screaming at people who are NOT saying what you think they're saying.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 AM

240 posts, read 504,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would please suggest that you posters DM each other back and forth instead of taking up another large thread on this issue.
Regards,
Mod GraniteStater

why? this is important. you got a guy justifying his anti gay marriage beliefs by saying the bible is the word of god.....but then saying he just picks and chooses what he wants

i think people like that should be forced to state that they just pick and choose through a long thread like this. the guy admitted it on the 13th page !

Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
So you do PICK AND CHOOSE.

You could of saved everyone alot of time by just admitting that at the beginning.
No, I do not just randomly pick and choose. I do not see something, say, "I don't like that" and dismiss it out of hand.

In fact, the more thoroughly I've studied through difficult passages of the Bible, the more I've found that "what I like" or "what I had thought" is not was was actually written or meant.

You should try it.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
I heard that there is a report out that the US will no longer be in power like it once was...and I think it may be because we have focused on so many wrong issues, fought between one another, and held a false sense of security...it's scary to think that other nations will take over, what we once had. What then will become of the US? Increased crime, economic uncertainty, military depletion, homelessness, degredation of education...these are the issues we should tackle NOW. If you really believe in god, then have faith that when the time comes god will take care of men, women, gay, straight, everything! but for now, we should be worrried about America as a whole.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
The real point about Prop 8 and gay rights is that the Bible does not govern the US, the US Constitution does. And their is no mention of banning homosexuality or gay marriage. Its one of those individuals rights the constitution grants to individual citizens, the people.
That is correct, and I've never said anything to the contrary, have I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies