Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You support euthanasia for non-contributing members of society?
Yes 6 8.82%
No 60 88.24%
Undecided 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:56 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times

Advertisements

OP I can DM you the name of a damn good shrink if you would like....
Are you one of Kooter's spawn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 PM

55 posts, read 68,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The Bible is very clear about God's character.
Yeah, but the Bible is self-testifying to it's authority. There is no rational reason to believe what it says, or to even understand the correct interpretation of it.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
I'll tell you what Jihadist. You go first.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't support euthanasia without the person's consent. That's not a religious counterargument--that's just not wanting to violate a person's rights.
The weak have rights because the strong give them rights. Evolution shows us that there is no such thing as intrinsic human rights---if you're weak, you will die, if not you will live. Why give such life support for such weak people? We're ruining our species.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'll tell you what Jihadist. You go first.
see, it's this kind of irrational mentality that needs to be purged from the human race.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihadist View Post
Our society is far too concerned about the "sanctity of life." There are so many people who are simply a drain on our economy. The elderly, prisoners, the mentally disabled and unwanted children are the main offenders as they contribute nothing to the world financially and yet eat up billions of dollars each year. The elderly are utterly useless; prisoners cause the crime; the mentally disabled are actually allowed to breed, and so, make the human race genetically inferior; and unwanted children grow up to be criminals among other low-lifes. What we need is to start a mass eugenics movement, so that we may purge our pure society from such undesirables. After all, science has proven that everything in existence is based on the material and its laws. Evolution is the law of life--we therefore, should not spend so much time and effort protecting those who cannot protect themselves. The weak die off and the strong live on...it is the law of nature, the only absolute source for our moral codes. We are simply material beings who live and die...it's just the way things are, so why concern ourselves with life so much? Therefore, do you support euthanasia, abortion and sterilization of the non-contributors of society? If not, please offer logically justification for your claims.
This is something that I have seen come up in discussion a few times (especially back when I used to hang out at archaeological and anthropological dig sites, when I was in my teens). The argument presented was that we should go straight Darwinist - we should follow "pure" evolution instead of fighting it.

I disagree though. I think it would be a cool experiment in a virtual world or something like that though, were it possible to emulate.

Why do I disagree? Because I think evolution is at least partly to blame for why we have developed rituals, religions, and so forth. In other words, we are following evolution already. But there is a dilemma there - how do we account for growing atheism? I don't know. Maybe it's time release coding?

I suppose I feel this way because, despite being agnostic, I think that a more powerful "being(s)" (or race?) may have had at least some influence, and if one accepts that "fact", then it's not out of the realm of possibly that we were coded to develop such traits.

Just my 2 cents, which is worth about .25 cents in today's world.

And no, I am not Erich Von Däniken.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
If only God has the power of life and death, He often doesn't use it very well. I sometimes hear that observably pointless and tragic deaths, for instance, are all somehow part of His.....Mysterious Plan. If that's the case, then He isn't very good at planning either.

All in all, it seems to me that just plain people have a lot more responsibility for life and death than God does...anybody's God.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
The weak have rights because the strong give them rights. Evolution shows us that there is no such thing as intrinsic human rights---if you're weak, you will die, if not you will live. Why give such life support for such weak people? We're ruining our species.
No...It's self-righteous people like you who are ruining our species.

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
I guess we'll just have to live with that. We enforce ethics in some way or another whether we honor a religious text or not. We decide that people have the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. I'd prefer we don't toss ethics out the window in an attempt to make the human race stronger. Seems counterproductive.

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Therefore, do you support euthanasia, abortion and sterilization of the non-contributors of society? If not, please offer logically justification for your claims.
No, I don't support euthanasia for that purpose. Why? Because of natural selection. Being a proponent of evolution, surely you're aware of this concept. Have you heard of the Darwin Awards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies