Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Researching someone's family history and origins is a fun hobby. If it annoys you, it shouldn't. My family has been here since colonial times, for over 300 years, and it is still cool to trace back them to where they came from.
I've begun to think about trying to do that with my mom's side of the family. I know almost nothing about the White side of me. Now isn't that a twist? It would be kind of cool to learn about the Scots-Irish and French side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I've begun to think about trying to do that with my mom's side of the family. I know almost nothing about the White side of me. Now isn't that a twist? It would be kind of cool to learn about the Scots-Irish and French side.

Maybe your grandma was an Irish princess but you just can't prove it...aaayyyeee.

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-14-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Maybe your grandma was an Irish princess but you just can't prove it...aaayyyeee.
Nope, French nobility, I'm sure of it. I just can't prove it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Both of these quotations represent my point of view on the subject.

Quote:
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.... A hyphenated American is not an American at all... Americanism is a matter of the spirit, and of the soul...The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans...each preserving its separate nationality.... The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans.... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American.

Source: President Theodore Roosevelt
Quote:
The Hyphen, Webster's Dictionary defines,
Is a symbol used to divide a
compound word or a single word.
So it seems to me that when a man calls himself
An "Afro-American," a "Mexican-American,"
"Italian-American," An "Irish-American,"
"Jewish-American,"
What he's sayin' is, "I'm a divided American."

Well, we all came from other places,
Different creeds and different races,
To form a nation...to become as one,
Yet look at the harm a line has done-
A simple little line, and yet
As divisive as a line can get.
A crooked cross the Nazis flew,
And the Russian hammer and sickle too-
Time bombs in the lives of Man;
But none of these could ever fan
The fames of hatred faster than
The Hyphen.

The Russian hammer built a wall
That locks men's hearts from freedom's call.
A crooked cross flew overhead
Above twenty million tragic dead-
Among them men from this great nation,
Who died for freedom's preservation.
A hyphen is a line that's small;
It can be a bridge or be a wall.
A bridge can save you lots of time;
A wall you always have to climb.
The road to liberty lies true.
The Hyphen's use is up to you.

Used as a bridge, it can span
All the differences of Man.
Being free in mind and soul
Should be our most important goal.
If you use The Hyphen as a wall,
You'll make your life mean...and small.
An American is a special breed,
Whose people came to her in need.
They came to her that they might find
A world where they'd have peace of mind.
Where men are equal...and something more-
Stand taller than they stood before.

So you be wise in your decision,
And that little line won't cause division.
Let's join hands with one another...
For in this land, each man's your brother.
United we stand...divided we fall.
WE'RE AMERICANS...and that says it all.

Source: John Wayne
Hyphenated Americans are not proud of their heritage, they are ashamed to be Americans. Which is why they always precede their nation of origin before the hyphen and American is always last. Nobody says they are American-Irish, or American-Italian, or American-French. Teddy was exactly right: "There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American."

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM

17 posts, read 12,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
There is nothing wrong with knowing your heritage. Its ok to call yourself American, but American is not an ethnicity or race, its simply just a nationality. There are reasons why many people in America refer to themselves by their orgins first then american second; ex. Italian-American, Mexican-American, African-American, Asian-American and so on. You see, America today was not the America over 40 years ago and beyond. America didn't always treat every citizen like a American citizen(this is still true to an extent today) and a human being.
Uhhh ok. "American" is not a race, but you say Italian-American etc. is? lmao. It's the SAME thing. And no, Mexican-American is not a race, either. If that was the case, John Mccain would be hispanic. Or according to you, Panamanian-American.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I'm a recent immigrant to the US (great grandson of immigrants and grandson on mom's side) as far as immigration history of this country goes so I do feel some attachment to Spain and Germany due to family living there but not much. I'm proud to call myself American especially all the crap they have to deal with in the EU. So I call myself American

Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM

What I find interesting is that according to the last census ( not 2010), Americans with German roots were the largest group... at 15%.

File:Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Irish at 10% and Italian at 6%. You barely ever hear anybody of the 15% saying they are "German-American" ( which is actually not true. They are not), but the 6% group is the loudest of all of them. "Italian-Americans" here, Italian this, Italian there... Whatever floats your boat, but technically it's jsut not true.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm a recent immigrant to the US (great grandson of immigrants and grandson on mom's side) as far as immigration history of this country goes so I do feel some attachment to Spain and Germany due to family living there but not much. I'm proud to call myself American especially all the crap they have to deal with in the EU. So I call myself American
That's what you call "recent" these days? AND "immigrant" on top of that?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eins View Post
That's what you call "recent" these days? AND "immigrant" on top of that?
Yeah seems like most Americans I know came in the 1800s and before. My Spanish relatives came from Spain (I hate it when Americans label all Hispanics, Spanish it's wrong) to the US (Puerto Rico to be exact) in the early 1920s late 1910s and my German grandmother came to the US in 1952. I'd say compared to most Americans I'm still just recently an American.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM

177 posts, read 256,671 times
You cared about yours until it became a nuisance to you to see us Native and Black People caring about ours.

Then you embraced "being American".

College used to be free until Blacks and Natives(hispanics) started to attend.

Everything you do is for your own convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies