Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
And I couldn't find any of these numbers GD.. because there are no numbers.. they are underground for a reason and if they were counted, then they wouldn't be underground. Again.. there are more people that pay taxes than don't!! If they don't legally pay taxes..then they don't legally pay taxes and are not doing anything wrong.
Start here TM:

Illegal drugs

Main article: Illegal drug trade
Beginning in the 19th and 20th centuries, many countries began to ban the possession or use of various recreational drugs, such as the United States' famous "war on drugs." Many people nonetheless continue to use illegal drugs, and a black market exists to supply them. Despite ongoing law enforcement efforts to intercept illegal drug supplies, demand remains high, providing a large profit motive for organized criminal groups to ensure that drugs are available. The United Nations has reported that the retail market value of illegal drugs is worth 321.6 billion dollars.[2] While law enforcement efforts do capture a small percentage of the distributors of illegal drugs, the high and very inflexible demand for such drugs ensures that black market prices will simply rise in response to the decrease in supply—encouraging new distributors to enter the market in a perpetual cycle. Many drug legalisation activists draw parallels between the United States' experience with alcohol Prohibition and the current bans on various psychoactive drugs.
Underground economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My question remains (which you did not answer): Should someone involved in the underground economy - like a drug dealer - have access to Universal Health Insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Prove it's mathematically impossible.. saying it is so doesnt make it so!
Annual healthcare costs in America: $2.5 TRILLION

Number of citizens: 300 million

Cost per citizen: $8,333

Number of able bodied, working persons over age 18: ~150 MILLION

Premium per paying employee: $16,666

If you will note, the average family plan currently runs about $1200 to $1500 a month depending on location. $1200 x 12 = $14,400. $1500 x 12 = $18,000. Note that the annual premium is currently right in line with my numbers. The pool is not big enough to spread the risk. Any more questions?

Any more questions?

Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Start here TM:

Illegal drugs

Main article: Illegal drug trade
Beginning in the 19th and 20th centuries, many countries began to ban the possession or use of various recreational drugs, such as the United States' famous "war on drugs." Many people nonetheless continue to use illegal drugs, and a black market exists to supply them. Despite ongoing law enforcement efforts to intercept illegal drug supplies, demand remains high, providing a large profit motive for organized criminal groups to ensure that drugs are available. The United Nations has reported that the retail market value of illegal drugs is worth 321.6 billion dollars.[2] While law enforcement efforts do capture a small percentage of the distributors of illegal drugs, the high and very inflexible demand for such drugs ensures that black market prices will simply rise in response to the decrease in supply—encouraging new distributors to enter the market in a perpetual cycle. Many drug legalisation activists draw parallels between the United States' experience with alcohol Prohibition and the current bans on various psychoactive drugs.
Underground economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My question remains (which you did not answer): Should someone involved in the underground economy - like a drug dealer - have access to Universal Health Insurance

LOL.. well..if you read my previous post you'd see my answer

Yeah.. okay.. a "large" portion of the population to make a significant impact are drug dealers..LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
LOL.. well..if you read my previous post you'd see my answer

Yeah.. okay.. a "large" portion of the population to make a significant impact are drug dealers..LOL
You are clearly avoiding the issue - you have your head stuck in the sand

Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"Yeah.. and those that don't pay taxes because they don't make enough money are already recieving medical attention under medicaid."

You want to back that one up??
For example, a single individual without children pays:
  • 0% of the first $8,950 of income,
  • 10% of the income between $8,951 and $16,975,
  • 15% of the income between $16,976 and $41,500,
  • 25% of the income between $41,501 and $87,800,
  • 28% of the income between $87,801 and $173,500,
  • 33% of the income between $173,501 and $366,650, and
  • 35% of the income exceeding $366,650.
I can't find the income qualifications for medicaid.. I'm working at the moment and need to focus on that.

Also.. if you read my previous posts .. besides "drug dealers" and the criminal element that go without paying taxes, anyone who magically has an income that is exempt from income taxes payment into a UHI should probably be exempt from that exemption.

With the acception of illegal employement under the table or illegal money making (like drugs and prostitution) oh.. and then those that don't pay into Social security because of their "religious affiliations" .. I don't see how anyone legally has a tax exempt source of income.

There may be "millions" of people that get paid under the table and don't pay taxes.. but in comparison to the greater population that does it's a small number and unless they are illegal citizens they will probably qualify for a UHI..

Better that those who probably don't deserve because they are scum (as this is what I think of drug dealers, pimps and the like) get it than good, honest hardworking individuals go without healthcare and coverage just to avoid giving it to the small percentage of the population that are "underground".

No system is perfect.. after all..

Funny.. GD wants to say that 47million people are not big enough to do anything about.. but then say that the small millions that are underground are significant enough to argue his side of the case.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You are clearly avoiding the issue - you have your head stuck in the sand

OH.. but 47 millino uninsured Americans isn't big enough for you.. . yet the very small fraction of the population, that is smaller than the 47 millino you already feel is insignificant.. is significant enough.. the "drug dealers""..

Yeah.. okay.. you've got YOUR head in the sand!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM

TM - there are MANY who get "TAX FREE" income

ONE, just one example is TAX FREE Bonds -

Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Good question for her - she does not realize that there are millions living on "TAX FREE" incomes -
And it's not just the underworld and drug dealers.

Many families with decent income (a mortgage helps) and enough children so that the credits are high enough to match liability, pay no income taxes.

Many lower income recieve refunds beyond a 0 liability.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
TM.....you copied the chart for single, no children.
Tsk, tsk....not fair
I can tell you ahead of time.......Medicaid is state to state so finding "one' eligibilty chart may not be accurate, although all are close
One can have little income and no assets greater than (approx) $2500 in value.

edited to say I THINK the asset level may have been raised for the value of an auto since it may be a necessity for work.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And it's not just the underworld and drug dealers.

Many families with decent income (a mortgage helps) and enough children so that the credits are high enough to match liability, pay no income taxes.

Many lower income receive refunds beyond a 0 liability.
And then - try this scenario as one example:

You are involved in your own business -

All of your assets, including your home and vehicles, are in the corporation. The corporation makes the money and takes the deductions to the point where the tax liability is -0-

You take a MINIMAL salary - enough so you have no personal income tax liability.

I don't think TM will believe the scenario I stated is possible or that many people do EXACTLY what I stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies