Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you Spunky, but I was quite sure you were saying women should accept their "place" in the world. Now, you didn't really elaborate to say what that "place" was so I had to infer what you meant.

I'm still not sure what you mean by women resenting their gender. I am quite astonished and tear jerkingly proud at what my gender manage to accomplish in a given day. What man could wake up, get the kids fed and ready for school and on the bus (or take them to school as I do), arrive at work early and polished to tackle the day, come home, cook dinner, wash clothes, pay bills, supervise homework, and still manage to be sexy for his wife? Not any that I know. . . The funny thing is - I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm proud of the things I do and my ability to multi-task and make things happen (kind of a control freak that way). Maybe this is why I don't think it should astound anyone that a woman could/should be President.

So, since I manage to do so darned much - yes, I do feel that I operate on a little higher plane than most men. Yes, there are certain physical limitations to what I am able to do and I disagree with different standards being used to hire women vs. men (ie., physical fitness tests should be equal).

So are men threatened by "liberal" women? I don't know, but maybe the SHOULD be...
Yes, I said our "unique place" in the world, not in a derogatory way such as accept our lot in life baking cookies but in a positive way.
And I do believe that feminists who continue with their militant stance and continue to whine and complain are doing women a disservice. Yes, I believe many feminists today actually hurt women not help. Is Gloria Steinem a role model for young women?

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment of men being unable to multi-task and run a home etc. They could if they chose to put their efforts their but their focus has historically been on the career front.

And as far as your statement that you "operate on a little higher plane than most men" well, I can tell you if a man said that any place, including this forum, all the woman's libbers would be up in arms regarding this sentiment. You don't operate on a higher plane, but a different one than most men. That is the whole point. Different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Actually, women in management have been hit with sexual harassment lawsuits too, so it's not a one way street.

Imagine if I were your supervisor and I called you "Honey" and "Babe" and maybe "Studly" and told you that I liked how you smelled, how your pants fit, etc. And you went home and told your wife, well, you can see where this is going... (Downhill, which is where the lawsuits start...)
Well, if I was single...

But yes, if I was married, it'd be a whole 'nother story.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
What grade do you teach?
If this question is intended to shoot down my credibility, then I'm sorry to say that it's not going to work.

I don't teach, but I was a student from preschool through K-12. So I guess, that gives me, oh, about 14+ years of experience on the subject. Plus my mom works at a high school, and she can attest to what I've been saying. In my schooling years, I have had only 5 male teachers in 14 years... the rest were female.

Yet, I feel lucky enough to not be as confused as some of my fellow males. But one time I took a psychology class at the university, and I took it only because I knew there would be 100+ women vs only a handful of guys. It was exciting for the first month or so, and I've never met so many women in one single room before. But it was downhill after that... the professor, who happened to be female, was a radical feminist man-hater. She constantly went on those diabtribes about how men needs to be fixed, how their brains are inferior to to the female brain, etc etc, I could go on all day.

I was appalled. One day, I could not take it anymore. I stood up and said, "Professor xxxxx, I am a male and I am not ashamed of it. Your teachings are noticeably anti-male, and I won't sit here and listen to what you're saying because I think you are biased in this matter. I'm withdrawing from this class." And I walked out on the class.

The campus was buzzing about it for a few days... and here is the kicker: there were at least 20 women who withdrew from the class, too!

And I dated one of them for a while...

Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yes, I said our "unique place" in the world, not in a derogatory way such as accept our lot in life baking cookies but in a positive way.
And I do believe that feminists who continue with their militant stance and continue to whine and complain are doing women a disservice. Yes, I believe many feminists today actually hurt women not help. Is Gloria Steinem a role model for young women?

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment of men being unable to multi-task and run a home etc. They could if they chose to put their efforts their but their focus has historically been on the career front.

And as far as your statement that you "operate on a little higher plane than most men" well, I can tell you if a man said that any place, including this forum, all the woman's libbers would be up in arms regarding this sentiment. You don't operate on a higher plane, but a different one than most men. That is the whole point. Different.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:48 AM

451 posts, read 835,457 times
spunky1
Quote:
Vive la difference!

I have a few random thoughts.

Some men are jerks and or ignorant. One example happened about ten years ago when I was the manager of expediters for an aerospace company.

A couple of women that were on me team were having a lot of trouble with a new customer that had to have his aircraft parts before it physically possible he was unhinged and yelling at them.
So after several calls and him demanding to speak to someone in charge they transferred him to me.
As soon as I said hello he said "Ahhhh thank god a man finally someone who knows what there talking about" I told him the same thing as he heard before and he accepted it without question. He didn't know if any of us were liberal or conservative he was just a strange man.

Today my wife is a manager on a national level for a fortune 100 company she is over several men I'm pretty sure she has not had any problems because of her gender.

I have always known that men and women are different but equal.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 AM

And I have to add to the above... this internship I am in, my supervisor is a woman but one of the top people in the company. She's great.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
So has the focus of women. There have been very few, brief, and scattered periods in history when households were such that women (and children, for that matter) were able not to contribute directly to household income. The Phyllis Schlafly stereotype is an ideal of envy taken from the lives of the idle rich in the time of the robber-barons. It has no general applicability at all.

Quote:
You are taking a one-to-many comparison and turning to into a many-to-many comparison. I would take myself to operate on a little higher plane than most men as well, but that does not transform into a claim that men in general operate on a higher plane than men do.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You are taking a one-to-many comparison and turning to into a many-to-many comparison. I would take myself to operate on a little higher plane than most men as well, but that does not transform into a claim that men in general operate on a higher plane than men do.
Saganista, You might want to reread her post. She stated that she believed she operated on a higher plane than most men do. She did not say "most people" and was specifying that she thought she operated on a "higher plane" than most men. I was not making a one-on-on comparison. . . but strictly responding to her words.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 AM

467 posts, read 324,723 times
Quote:
What advantage are you speaking of? The 17 cents (or whatever it is) on the dollar that the hypothetical "typical" man makes over the woman.
I say quit whining and get not just an education but prepare yourself for a job that will make you marketable in todays world. Then you wont have the need or time to dwell on that 17 cents!

Oh, and for the feminists out there, by education with a marketable job, I don't mean a degree in "woman's studies." Whatever that is!
I'm just curious, Spunky, what is your degree in? You seem very well educated with great grammar (which is sadly lacking on this board). Are you working? How long have you been working? I'm wondering this because you have a very strong opinion - that you are entitled to - but I'm wondering what your world experience is.

I don't know ONE woman, especially the self-described feminists that I know - that has a degree in "woman's studies" or anything of the kind. They are all biologists, doctors, engineers, teachers, etc.

You know what I wonder when I read your post here? If you can see the difference between responding in an honest fashion to a question asked in a thread and "whining".

If you asked me what is wrong with health care, the judicial system, foster care, social security, military spending, etc - I would answer in a way that makes sense to me (as I hope everyone on this board does). I am assuming that is exactly what you do, too. So, using that logic - am I to assume that if YOU disagree with something in a thread that you are then "whining"?

See, we have a fundamental difference of opinion, but I don't think you've ever found me calling you a whiner because you expressed your opinion in another thread so could you come up with a better adjective?

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious, Spunky, what is your degree in? You seem very well educated with great grammar (which is sadly lacking on this board). Are you working? How long have you been working? I'm wondering this because you have a very strong opinion - that you are entitled to - but I'm wondering what your world experience is.

I don't know ONE woman, especially the self-described feminists that I know - that has a degree in "woman's studies" or anything of the kind. They are all biologists, doctors, engineers, teachers, etc.

You know what I wonder when I read your post here? If you can see the difference between responding in an honest fashion to a question asked in a thread and "whining".

If you asked me what is wrong with health care, the judicial system, foster care, social security, military spending, etc - I would answer in a way that makes sense to me (as I hope everyone on this board does). I am assuming that is exactly what you do, too. So, using that logic - am I to assume that if YOU disagree with something in a thread that you are then "whining"?

See, we have a fundamental difference of opinion, but I don't think you've ever found me calling you a whiner because you expressed your opinion in another thread so could you come up with a better adjective?

Thanks.
Tonilole, I will send you a pm if that is ok. And a public apology for calling you a whiner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies