Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Unmarried opposite-sex couples claim discrimination | Inland News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_unmarried26.1260d28.html - broken link)

A man cannot put his long-time girlfriend on his health insurance because they are not married. Is this fair?
I personally don't see the big deal in letting him add her to his health insurance. He would be paying for her so why not let him add her?

Some couples simply don't want to get married and why should they have to in order to receive certain benefits?

Alternatives to Marriage Project - Opinion: Unmarried in the Military? Still a Long Way to Go

^Discrepancies in the treatment of married military members and unmarried military members.

Fair? Unfair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Yep, that's what happened to me when I was in the Navy.......I just sucked it up. Why ***** about stuff all the time???

Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
1st couple, no sympathy, really. Gays got certain rights because no one wanted to give them the same rights as everyone else. So they made up special rights. For heterosexual unmarried couples to complain that because they are not getting the "special" treatment that they gay people are getting is ridiculous, because gays were giving the rights they got just to circumvent them getting the same rights the rest of us get. For god's sake. Honestly, if a man can just put a woman on his insurance and vice versa, it would be wide open to all kinds of insurance fraud. Your friend is sick, no problem, just put him on your insurance.

Regarding the military, it sucks for the single people but, according to the issues the article brings up, that is the way it is in the private sector except for the living situation.

Single people pay a certain amount for health insurance. Married w/children pay more, but not as much per person as the single person. If the single person is paying $100, the married guy w/wife & 3 kids might be paying $300, not $500. Benefits extend to spouses and kids of married people that do not extend to anyone in the case of a single person. Life insurance for example. My husband can buy life insurance for me through his work but a single guy cannot buy his girlfriend or his mother life insurance through work.

with any job, when negotiating salary, total compensation should be looked at. If you are getting a job, look at the total of all compensation they are offering, salary, vacation, health insurance, etc. and negotiate from there. leaving a job for another that has a higher salary doesn't get you anywhere if the health insurance is twice as expensive and you get less vacation time. If you are single and not going to get a family health insurance policy, hey, try to use that to negotiate a better salary.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
As a practical matter, it makes sense to require a certain formality of relative permanance to a relationship in which benefits are accrued. You can't keep adding and subtracting dependents on your health insurance policy whenever you meet a chick in a bar that needs a breast implant. Or two.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
They have the option to get married and get benefits

A gay person does not have the option to get married, hence Domestic Partner coverage.

Companies are not even required to offer Domestic Partner Coverage, mine did let me add my husband on before we were married, we had get a notarized document stating we were cohabiting and in a long term relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies