Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiccanways View Post
Oh, trust me. It makes plenty sense. You are just too close minded to see. Typical.
Such a common response, from a person who sees Christians all the same. Now, how close minded is that!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Why would it? The Bible is the inspired word of GOD........... God can't help it when folks turn their backs on him...........
Agree!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
War itself is not contrary to the Bible. Nowhere in the Bible is war prohibited. Someone "who is truly a Christian" is not necessarily going against their faith if they approve of war. Having said that, the motives for starting a war COULD be contrary to the Bible. That may or may not be the case with the Iraq war, depending on your perspective. Was it a noble undertaking to free a nation and a region from tyrrany? Or was it an imperialistic war fought over oil and vengence? Were there WMDs that could be used to attack the US? Or was that just a strawman to justify an invasion? Sometimes I think war is necessary: WWII, American Revolution. Other times I think it's a result of a country poking its snout where it doesn't belong: Vietnam, Iraq.
Good post!! Humans do a lot of things, that aren't commanded by God and HE always seems to get the blame!!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Could you enlighten me as to what real Christianity is all about? Please back it up with some Bible verses that support your point. Thank you.
Here's a few that come to mind. I assume that when Jesus says that we should love our neighbors as ourselves, he doesn't mean to kill them.
By the way, which of you posters considers yourself to be a true Christian? If so, what is your justification for the invasion of Iraq?

Matthew 19:16 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thats not easily answered. Obviously in YOUR opinion he would not.

This Christian thinks the current conflict is wrong but thinks the initial ousting of Saddam was justified. The Bible, if you care about it, tells us to obey mans laws & the decisions of our Gov't.
IMO theres no doubt that the world is a better place without him & its not inconceivable that God had a hand in his downfall & eventual demise.

You, nor the Wiccan, nor anybody else are in a position to say what a true Christian should or would support.
The Bible says to render unto Caesar, in the context of paying taxes, not in blind obedience - were Nazis carrying out Hitler's orders acting in accordance with God's will then? Ridiculous.
Oh, and you say 'there's no doubt that the world is a better place without' Saddam. Tell that to the thousands of killed or displaced Christians who are now being persecuted by the same Islamic Fundamentalist Shiites who were held in check by Saddam, but who now rule Iraq, thanks to Bush.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Bible says to render unto Caesar, in the context of paying taxes, not in blind obedience - were Nazis carrying out Hitler's orders acting in accordance with God's will then? Ridiculous.
Oh, and you say 'there's no doubt that the world is a better place without' Saddam. Tell that to the thousands of killed or displaced Christians who are now being persecuted by the same Islamic Fundamentalist Shiites who were held in check by Saddam, but who now rule Iraq, thanks to Bush.
You don't get it oh well I'll put you on the prayer list........

Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 PM

540 posts, read 629,877 times
Come on KC that is the weakest Christian basher yet. You've been watching too many Excalibur movies. To suggest that people of a Christian persuasion born and reared in this magnificent country can in any measure equate Christians with Muslims is reprehensable.
Christians don't sever the heads of their enemies on national television. They don't have enemies, read the new testament sometimes and you will understand that. Muslims will cut your head off if you don't submit. Read the Koran sometimes, it's in there. In fact historically speaking it is little more than a copy cat religion invented to provide identity to a competing culture. Problem is they left out some things and added some things.
Christians don't plant bombs in their own streets killing innocents to win you to the gospel. Christians don't demand you do anything. Now did your mommy try and get you out of bed before ten on Sunday and make you go to church? Tell the truth? Now your furious right? So the entire Christian world is damned by many of you for suggesting to you that it is a good moral teaching that would be good for you if you made it inclusive in your life.
Now go to the blackboard and write 100 times. Christians didn't bomb the world trade center or bomb the U.S.S. Cole, or bolw up Lockerby, or knock down two buildings and kill 3,000 people et al ad infinitum for the last 35 years or so. But we know who did don't we? -Can you say Muslims?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM

540 posts, read 629,877 times
Quote:
Here's a few that come to mind. I assume that when Jesus says that we should love our neighbors as ourselves, he doesn't mean to kill them.
By the way, which of you posters considers yourself to be a true Christian? If so, what is your justification for the invasion of Iraq?

Matthew 19:16 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Oh yea and "Thou shalt not bare false witness against thy neighbor". If you believe in all the above and I have no reason to believe you don't, well there is one more that will make you complete.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
If you believe these quotes and they are pure quotes ,I have no reason to believe that you don't believe them. I have faith that you are a good person at heart. I defy you to find any wrods, particularly attributed to Jesus that are not pure and good. So what is the problem here. You have listed a good repertoire of things you understand. Let me complete it for you. "Do not bare false witness against thy neighbor"

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
People are only true Christians when it fits them. I mean, when you drive down the freeway at 75 mph and gets behind grandpa in the left lane driving 55 you might honk your horn and even flip him off. Thats not what Jesus would do., Or if somebody hits you, you wont just turn the other cheek to take some more. There are few people in this world that truly live their life as a true christian. The rest try, somewhat. They go to church because that makes them feel better about them self.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Agree!!!

Good post!! Humans do a lot of things, that aren't commanded by God and HE always seems to get the blame!!
I don't think anyone blames God for His followers actions.

I can see how people are confused though. I'm often confused myself. For me, pro-life means all life and not just babies. Turn the other cheek, love thy neighbor, do good to those that hate you, etc. We seem to always pick out the sin portion of the bible to condemn others and somehow forget all about the love and tolerance. (And my comment is not addressed to you 3~Shepherds, just an observation in general.)

Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:

And yet Jesus also told his disciples to arm themselves, in fact he felt it was more important than clothing.

Luke 22:36 Then he said to them, "But now, the person who has a wallet and a traveling bag should take them along. The person who doesn't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one.

You can find passages in the Bible to support pretty much any position you want to take up, especially if you include passages and entire books that have been excluded for centuries for political (within the church) reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies