Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
True but that doesnt mean they should offer it if they dont want to.
I would offer it only because money is money more clients more money but if I smelled that I was being "strong armed" I would not offer it.

They are after all a private co .
So from now on, American Airlines will also sell front row seats to men, and all women have to sit in the seats by the bathroom. It is a private company, so it can do whatever it wants right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
So why the marches, violence against old women, invasion of church services and hatred spewed while blaming blacks in California for the passage of Prop 8? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they all go to the polls and let their votes speak for them?

Can we say: Hypocracy/double standards?
Simple "mommy", because a majority cannot decide on a minority's rights.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
So from now on, American Airlines will also sell front row seats to men, and all women have to sit in the seats by the bathroom. It is a private company, so it can do whatever it wants right?
Oh gag me! The business model of American Airlines is to fly people to and from their destinations...nothing to do with their genders. The business model of eHarmony is to provide a dating service to heterosexuals. Your argument is pathetic!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Simple "mommy", because a majority cannot decide on a minority's rights.
yes and no.If you agree to a HOA housing area,they can.There are many instances.I know what you are saying and agree to a point but there is also individual rights to this country and the right of people to group together and associate with who they want.

Gays are not being banned from having gay dating sites,if they were then that would be a case of discrimination.And if there isn't enough gay dating sites then in that case there is a perfect opportunity for someone to start one and profit from it....

Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Being included is not a special right. No special accomodations are needed to include gay people.
It appears to be quite the opposite as eharmony is now required to set up an alternate service at their expense. It was a conservative heterosexual dating website and purposefully catered to those people. It's a private, not a public company and it's not depriving anyone of anything. If same sex people want to date one another then go to a gay site.

Pretty soon the government will be regulating who we can have as friends or who we can date. Make sure it's all fair and we are not "discriminating".

These tactics by the guy suing eharmony are the same as the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton thugs extorting money from private companies.

I think it might be time to start suing gay only sites. After all as a heterosexual I am being excluded!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You don't have to be Christian or have Christian beliefs to join Eharmony.
I'm sorry for the confusion but my previous post referred to Christian-based companies who serve Christian clientele exclusively. I do know that EHarmony does serve non-Christians.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I agree.But the point also is why do people get upset and try to force others like this incident.This goes back to political correctness,like for instance trying to ban the pledge or national prayer because someone doesn't like it.You don't have to recite,you don't have to pray,no one is forcing them to,yet they want to use the excuse that they are "inflamed" by having to see or hear others do it.This gay guy was not being prohibited from gay dating sites,all he had to do is find one yet he decided he wanted to bring "justice" by trampling on others rights.
This is the crux of the issue.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You totally missed the point of the post. It isn't about whether it affects an individual or not. It's about a business being strong-armed into something against its original business model. How would you like it if you went into a business selling meat products and your Jewish neighbor forces you to sell kosher products? Shouldn't I care because it doesn't affect me? God, if all people had the attitude of just plain "What's in it or not in it for me", we'd be in real trouble.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
That's the whole purpose of serving a niche market. People join dating services that are tailored to meet their needs. Conservative Christian dating sites should not be forced to serve gay clientele as the lifestyle is not approved by conservative Christians.
You don't seem to understand, eharmony never advertised itself as a christian dating site. You yourself just said in a later post that eharmony caters to non-christians.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It appears to be quite the opposite as eharmony is now required to set up an alternate service at their expense. It was a conservative heterosexual dating website and purposefully catered to those people. It's a private, not a public company and it's not depriving anyone of anything. If same sex people want to date one another then go to a gay site.

Pretty soon the government will be regulating who we can have as friends or who we can date. Make sure it's all fair and we are not "discriminating".

These tactics by the guy suing eharmony are the same as the Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton thugs extorting money from private companies.

I think it might be time to start suing gay only sites. After all as a heterosexual I am being excluded!
Eharmony chose to add a site for same-sex-singles. They could have just added two new fields to their current site.

Men seeking men
Women seeking women

My husband is a web developer, adding two new fields to a website is no great feat. It's no special treatment to include all single people. Nobody is going to ask for Eharmony to include single dogs or single teddy bears, just all single people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies