U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,425,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
This church group was forced to sue the New Jersey government because a lesbian couple felt they had the "right" to have a civil union performed on this church's property. The church has owned this property for over two hundred tears.
Pretty soon gay people will walk into the sanctuary of private churched and demand that "they" be accommodated even though it conflicts with the very core teachings if Christianity.
Yet they demand that others be tolerant to their lifestyle.
My Pastor states without hesitation that the day any government official or private party demand he perform such ceremonies will be the day he will close that church down.

Methodists Sue New Jersey over Attempt to Force Gay “Marriage” at Church Owned Camp
that "church" was on public land(which incl park land and a pier) that rec'd tax breaks from public dollars. it's not the same thing as a "real" church. that church should not be able to discriminate in that situation. we absolutely need LESS churches. those monstosities take up too much valuable space and deprive our counties of too many valuable tax dollars that every other taxpayer must take up the slack for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,094,688 times
In California, it's against the law to discriminate againt gays (although there is no federal law prohibiting this) so if national companies like E-harmony want to operate nationally, they must operate in a manner that does not violate the law. I, however, feel the company could have made a bona fide business case for an exception to the law based on it being a "Christian-based branded singles site" but they just didn't want to incur the legal expenses. I do think this will open the doors for there not to be any specialized groups (i.e. single women, people of color, etc.). If a straight person wants to sue a gay dating site so it's not exclusive to gays, this sets a precedent for doing do and I have no doubt someone will proceed with doing that.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 AM

695 posts, read 1,199,611 times
What's really stupid is that any privately owned company should have the right to discriminate against anybody.

And we have the right to discriminate against said company.

If there is a restaurant that refuses to serve black people, as stupid as that is, they should have that right. But I'll guarantee you that I won't patronize that restaurant, and will strongly encourage everybody I know to not patronize them either.

Why are we expecting the government to remove all our rights and choices? Are we not smart enough to know where that is headed?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,412,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
What's really stupid is that any privately owned company should have the right to discriminate against anybody.

If there is a restaurant that refuses to serve black people, as stupid as that is, they should have that right. But I'll guarantee you that I won't patronize that restaurant, and will strongly encourage everybody I know to not patronize them either.

Why are we expecting the government to remove all our rights and choices? Are we not smart enough to know where that is headed?
It's pretty sad that people can't get along with each other and the government has to step in, and create equal rights laws to protect minorities.
It's also pretty sad when the source of hate directed at a certain group, stems from "The Bible."

Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It's pretty sad that people can't get along with each other and the government has to step in, and create equal rights laws to protect minorities.
It's also pretty sad when the source of hate directed at a certain group, stems from "The Bible."
What does this have to do with the Bible?

I think you need to get over your obsessive hatred of Christians and the Bible. You're no better than the Westboro Baptist folks.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,425,802 times
Quote:

i'll just bet that you are a "white" guy too if you think that way.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i'll just bet that you are a "white" guy too if you think that way.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,945,066 times
Quote:
If there is a restaurant that refuses to serve black people, as stupid as that is, they should have that right.
You're right in that we may have reached a point where we don't need laws to tell most of us not to discriminate, but if we didn't have those laws, we'd still see signs in storefront windows that say:

"NO BLACKS"

"NO HOMOS"

"WHITES ONLY"

Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're right in that we may have reached a point where we don't need laws to tell most of us not to discriminate, but if we didn't have those laws, we'd still see signs in storefront windows that say:

"NO BLACKS"

"NO HOMOS"

"WHITES ONLY"
Or we might see signs in front of stores that say

NO WHITES
NO STRAIGHTS
NO REPUBLICANS

And the beauty of America is that you can CHOOSE to either patronize them, or you can refuse to patronize them. You have that CHOICE.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,945,066 times
Quote:
Or we might see signs in front of stores that say

NO WHITES
NO STRAIGHTS
NO REPUBLICANS

And the beauty of America is that you can CHOOSE to either patronize them, or you can refuse to patronize them. You have that CHOICE.
I see the value in your argument, and maybe it could work.

I actually voted in California to eliminate categorizing people based on skin color a few years ago. The measure failed, unfortunately. To me, it seems like eliminating categories for skin color is a progressive thing to do, but the side who was against it labeled our side "racist" and "pro-discrimination". Ironic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies