U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 10,121,515 times
Reputation: 1100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
We agree to disagree as I believe in gay marriage but I do agree with you that Eharmony is a private co not a gvmt co and thus should cater to who it wants.

If they were an Islamic dating co I doubt that request would be made of them.
What you stated above is my only point, which has nothing to do with gay marriage. E- Harmony is a private corporation that has every right to represent the clientele of their choice.

It should not be dictated by the demands of gays or any other group of people, nor should it be the decision of a judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,430,878 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
If you feel left out, then sue the company. Don't show me, call your lawyer.
I don't feel left out. They are a private company and should be able to freely cater to whomever they please.

Thats the difference. I respect their right to exclude me from their target demographic. Gays frequently fail to grasp that concept and would rather shove their agenda everywhere on everybody. Talk about intolerance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
If you're a homo or liberal who thinks this way it might be.

If you are a Christian-based, conservative business who has just caved into the PC-left out of financial necessity, its a bad one. The vocal minority just forced group R to adopt the value-system of group H. How ironic that group R is chastised and ridiculed if they attempt to force their value system on group H.

Another political double-standard: Homosexuals.
At least some posters who are pro-gay rights can see that this is not a good thing. It's sad that there are those who cannot separate the "gay rights" movement for "equality" from forcing their agenda on private organizations. Should I force Blade and Advocate magazines to carry ads for organizations such as Focus on the Family?

Last edited by Chatteress; 11-21-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Here in Boston, some idiot male attorney sued "Healthworks for Women" because it was discriminating against men, since it was only a health club for women.

He could have gone to ANY other gym, but he was just trying to make a point, since he was a lawyer. Everyone thought he was a jerk. I doubt he ever even WENT to Healthworks.

In this case, again, someone was trying to make a point that it's discrimination, even if they didn't want to use the service. As a gay person, I wouldn't want to use the service if there was hostility toward gays. If they really didn't want to serve gays, I'd go to a gay service.

No one can have their own group anymore, whether it's all heterosexuals, all men, all women, all gays, etc. because it will be called discrimination, even if it makes no sense.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Let me open a new dating website, no Whites. Only minorities. I want to hear all the conservative red states howl about it. Would that be fair?
I'm sure they already have dating services that target specific ethnic groups already. I have no problem with a private company doing that as it is their perogative to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I didn't want to believe this but I'm starting to think that its true. You don't have Christians suing to be represented on J-Date or Asian people making legal demands to be on Black Singles...this is crazy.

I am starting to believe that for the gay community, it must become a gay world where everyone HAS TO accept everything about them or they will make our lives pure hell.

One thing about the Black civil rights movement is that we weren't demanding that it become a "Black" world where WE had to be included in EVERYTHING.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
If you feel left out, then sue the company. Don't show me, call your lawyer.
Why would anyone want to sue BlackPeopleMeet.com - The Black People Network? Apparently they exist to serve a need. If they were forced to allow whites, asians, latinos; then it would defeat the purpose of their business as they serve those who are looking for black singles.

I was a former EHarmony customer who chose this business because it was a conservative-oriented dating services which distinguishes them from a general dating services. This forced action will cause them to lose business as many conservatives do not approve of the gay lifestyle.

When I hear of lawsuits such as these, I think that the ultimate aim of the person bringing suit is to destroy the business, not to have the business accept them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't feel left out. They are a private company and should be able to freely cater to whomever they please.

Thats the difference. I respect their right to exclude me from their target demographic. Gays frequently fail to grasp that concept and would rather shove their agenda everywhere on everybody. Talk about intolerance....
Very well stated TXBoomerang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 3,024,424 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I didn't want to believe this but I'm starting to think that its true. You don't have Christians suing to be represented on J-Date or Asian people making legal demands to be on Black Singles...this is crazy.

I am starting to believe that for the gay community, it must become a gay world where everyone HAS TO accept everything about them or they will make our lives pure hell.

One thing about the Black civil rights movement is that we weren't demanding that it become a "Black" world where WE had to be included in EVERYTHING.
THIS is making your life pure hell? Do you use this dating service? Anything gays ask for doesn't really effect anyone else. How does it effect you directly?

Is "pure hell" just knowing that gays have equal rights, even if they don't encroach on your rights? For example, gay marriage - if I married a man or a woman, you wouldn't even KNOW about it. How does that effect you?

You don't have to accept anything, but you cannot stand in the way of equal rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution. Most likely, gays would never effect your life, unless you have friends/family members- and in that case, you'd probably love them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
THIS is making your life pure hell? Do you use this dating service? Anything gays ask for doesn't really effect anyone else. How does it effect you directly?

Is "pure hell" just knowing that gays have equal rights, even if they don't encroach on your rights? For example, gay marriage - if I married a man or a woman, you wouldn't even KNOW about it. How does that effect you?

You don't have to accept anything, but you cannot stand in the way of equal rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution. Most likely, gays would never effect your life, unless you have friends/family members- and in that case, you'd probably love them anyway.
This would affect ME as I would like to be able to choose a dating service that did not serve gay and bisexual clientele because I do not approve of the lifestyle! There are many others who feel this way. There are TONS of gay affirming dating services so why bully a conservative one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top