U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,340,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It is sad that private businesses are being intimidated to operate in ways that goes against their beliefs. When I first heard about EHarmony offering services to gays, I lost some respect for them.
so if they refused to offer dating services for asian women that would be OK?

if its a dating service, make it for everyone. why be discriminatory against one group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times
This was probably a financial decision on Eharmony's part. Why else would they have been so eager to "settle?"

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

10,478 posts, read 13,860,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so if they refused to offer dating services for asian women that would be OK?

if its a dating service, make it for everyone. why be discriminatory against one group?
I agree, they did not advertise themselves as just a "straight" dating site. If they did, then who cares. As we know, there are sites that advertise themselves as "gay", so fine. EHarmony didn't do this, they advertised themselves as a dating site, very vague so they opened themselves up to ridicule right away by not including homosexuals.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,014,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm taller than average and I can't find jeans that fit right in most stores. I guess I should sue them because they sell pants but none for me. Then, when they start catering to me by carrying taller sizes I can sue them again because my daughter is extremely petite and the only jeans that fit her are in the little girl section, but she is nearly 14 and doesn't want to wear little girl jeans. They should make teen jeans for her too.

Oh, and the car I really wanted to buy...the armrest was at the wrong height for me and it wasn't adjustable. I ended up buying a different car. Maybe I should have sued them to make the car to fit me specifically.

Hey, and what about people with food allergies who can't eat at restaurants because of peanut oil, or wheat flour or milk in the products. They are entitled to the same service options as all of us who don't have food allergies.

How stupid....how do you think ANY company could stay in business by catering to every individual.
Tall people are not a protected class.

Allergic people are not a protected class.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,795,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I agree, they did not advertise themselves as just a "straight" dating site. If they did, then who cares. As we know, there are sites that advertise themselves as "gay", so fine. EHarmony didn't do this, they advertised themselves as a dating site, very vague so they opened themselves up to ridicule right away by not including homosexuals.

True but that doesnt mean they should offer it if they dont want to.
I would offer it only because money is money more clients more money but if I smelled that I was being "strong armed" I would not offer it.

They are after all a private co .

Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,363,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I didn't want to believe this but I'm starting to think that its true. You don't have Christians suing to be represented on J-Date or Asian people making legal demands to be on Black Singles...this is crazy.

I am starting to believe that for the gay community, it must become a gay world where everyone HAS TO accept everything about them or they will make our lives pure hell.

One thing about the Black civil rights movement is that we weren't demanding that it become a "Black" world where WE had to be included in EVERYTHING.
Eric McKinley doesn't represent "the gay community." Bigot.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,466,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, well, that's your choice, though, and I do understand your point.

My problem is with the people who are saying that a private business shouldn't have to deal with people they don't want to deal with. How far do we go with that?

I can agree with the libertarian philosophy sometimes too, but it can be a harsh world if you allow businesses to discriminate like that.

I've been having a conversation with a very intelligent but very conservative man recently, who absolutely advocates that gays be separated from straights as much as possible. He wants to see "heteros only" restaurants, public parks, etc.

I can't help but a laugh a little - you just know there are many here on this board who would like to see the same thing!

that is really taking it to the extreme!! we have a piercing need to get along together in this country. i don't believe that "back to segregation" days are the way to do this. the 1964 law specifically says that segregation in public facilities is not allowed. i can agree that i prefer places where hetros are not letting their noisy brats have free range of the place, but a restaurant should not have the right to exclude them. if a restaurant caters to them, that is different. the free market will determine who frequents that restaurant. your friend is really stupid.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:23 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
And who asked for your blessings? We gays didn't approve for EHarmony to discriminate against us, so we went to the courts and won. See, we use reasoning and the rule of law. Instead of letting our feelings, fears and religious beliefs do the talking for us.
So why the marches, violence against old women, invasion of church services and hatred spewed while blaming blacks in California for the passage of Prop 8? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they all go to the polls and let their votes speak for them?

Can we say: Hypocracy/double standards?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,014,689 times
One of the ironies is that gays aren't even a protected class in much of the country. You can still legally discriminate against gays in any way you want.

Yet, a lot of you are screaming about the "Gay Mafia" and how awful it is that you're having to treat everyone equally in some places.

The prejudice around here is amazing.

"Gays are ruining this country!" Yeah. Keep believing that. And keep watching Bill O'Reilly for your so-called "truth".

Not happy with your lives? Here - blame these people. It's human nature to do this, yet many of you don't realize that you have the same mentality as those who have screamed:

Mexicans are ruining this country!
Blacks are ruining this country!
Jews are ruining this country!
The Italians are ruining this country!
The Irish are ruining this country!

Get a life, for cryin' out loud, and focus on making things better for yourself, rather than trying to tear down everyone around you.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,795,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
So why the marches, violence against old women, invasion of church services and hatred spewed while blaming blacks in California for the passage of Prop 8? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they all go to the polls and let their votes speak for them?

Can we say: Hypocracy/double standards?

People did go to the polls and voice their opinion which was a mistake as politicians needed to do their job not walk away from it and began the legalization of gay marriages.

Not just in CA but in every state. The courts are now involved as should be because people have a right to challenge the outcome.

I hope the courts finally say its time to give equal rights .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies