Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
At least some posters who are pro-gay rights can see that this is not a good thing. It's sad that there are those who cannot separate the "gay rights" movement for "equality" from forcing their agenda on private organizations. Should I force Blade and Advocate magazines to carry ads for organizations such as Focus on the Family?
OMG. the apocalypse is upon us! i agree with miss connie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
You are confusing private industry with government and other non private industries. What you have stated would be the equivalent of saying that an attorney in private practice does not have the choice of denying representation of anyone who walks through the door and demands it vs. a public defender. One is a public servant while the other is a private industry.

Apples and oranges.
Well, then I guess you're fine with restaurants that have a "NO BLACKS" sign in the front window, right?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
OMG. the apocalypse is upon us! i agree with miss connie.
I know...I felt the same way when I read KevK's post earlier in this thread.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Gays do have equal rights to dating services,no one is limiting them to having dating services.But forcing a company to submit to this wrong and abuse of someones rights.This is forcing homosexuality upon others as some claim to have religion forced upon them.
Utter nonsense. This company has every right to exclude gays (and I'm one of them!) but it didn't lose the case, it relented for unknown reasons. ONE gay man made a stink about his exclusion and somewhere in the legalities that followed, something was brought up that made the company abandon its policy. What was it? Did the extra revenue generated from this undesirable new venture overcome their "moral" standards? Did the dollar trump God's word?

This idea that gays are forcing themselves on everyone else is GARBAGE. But you know what? If they aren't treated with respect as equals, then we all should expect some frivolous lawsuits like this to occur. In this post-Proposition 8 world, don't expect gay people to be as friendly as before. They are sick of being second class citizens. If straight people won't allow their supposed tolerance to be included in laws, then their tolerance must not be real.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

You all crack me up, going on about how private industry shouldn't be forced to deal with people they don't like.

Yeah, let's go back to the days when an employer could say "NO JEWS AND NO BLACKS" in his Help Wanted ad.

Or when a restaurant could refuse to serve someone based on the customer's skin color.

I know that MANY of you would love to see signs that say "NO GAYS" in storefronts, right?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sad to say it but the "Gay Mafia" is on the march. I get the feeling that they are going to challenge and legally threaten any and every group, company or organization they believe to be not pro-gay.

The gay community needs to pick its battles and not rage out of control. Imposing upon private companies and "outing" people who contribute to the Yes on Prop 8 campaign will not win any sympathy.
Seems the gay community is looking for equality not sympathy. There is nothing out of control or wrong about wanting to be treated as an equal.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, then I guess you're fine with restaurants that have a "NO BLACKS" sign in the front window, right?
i've agreed with you in the past many times, but on this one, i find myself disagreeing. the co obviously puts lots of time and money in researching their "questions of compatibility". these questions were specifically designed for hetro couples, not gays. as a gay man, i would think that the "questions" would not be compatible with a gay relationship b/c we just have different ways of viewing the world and possibly relationships. i'd rather use a co that geared its questions directly to MY world and relationships. For example, if a drug co developed a drug and tested it on 20-25 year old males in its exhaustive studies, where it was proved to work. then another drug co tests a me-too drug on males aged 40-50 with equal results, i'd rather use the one that tested it on 40-45. since i'm 44 years old, i am convinced that it would be the better treatment for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Here's the world many of you want, except the sign would say "STRAIGHTS ONLY - NO GAYS".

Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
i've agreed with you in the past many times, but on this one, i find myself disagreeing. the co obviously puts lots of time and money in researching their "questions of compatibility". these questions were specifically designed for hetro couples, not gays. as a gay man, i would think that the "questions" would not be compatible with a gay relationship b/c we just have different ways of viewing the world and possibly relationships. i'd rather use a co that geared its questions directly to MY world and relationships. For example, if a drug co developed a drug and tested it on 20-25 year old males in its exhaustive studies, where it was proved to work. then another drug co tests a me-too drug on males aged 40-50 with equal results, i'd rather use the one that tested it on 40-45. since i'm 44 years old, i am convinced that it would be the better treatment for me.

There is a guy goes to my gym 44 yrs old built like Arnold was in Predator but more ripped and all natural.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
i've agreed with you in the past many times, but on this one, i find myself disagreeing. the co obviously puts lots of time and money in researching their "questions of compatibility". these questions were specifically designed for hetro couples, not gays. as a gay man, i would think that the "questions" would not be compatible with a gay relationship b/c we just have different ways of viewing the world and possibly relationships. i'd rather use a co that geared its questions directly to MY world and relationships.
Yes, well, that's your choice, though, and I do understand your point.

My problem is with the people who are saying that a private business shouldn't have to deal with people they don't want to deal with. How far do we go with that?

I can agree with the libertarian philosophy sometimes too, but it can be a harsh world if you allow businesses to discriminate like that.

I've been having a conversation with a very intelligent but very conservative man recently, who absolutely advocates that gays be separated from straights as much as possible. He wants to see "heteros only" restaurants, public parks, etc.

I can't help but a laugh a little - you just know there are many here on this board who would like to see the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies