Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times

Advertisements

Being a lesbian I find it funny, but it being a private group I feel they should offer only services they wish to offer. Private groups should be able to call shots, unless they are hurting someone. If their services are found to not be what you need, move on to another dating service. There are plenty more out there. Just like churches, I feel they should believe the way they want. No one is forcing you to go to their church. Another story when they get involved in politics!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Being a lesbian I find it funny, but it being a private group I feel they should offer only services they wish to offer. Private groups should be able to call shots, unless they are hurting someone. If their services are found to not be what you need, move on to another dating service. There are plenty more out there. Just like churches, I feel they should believe the way they want. No one is forcing you to go to their church. Another story when they get involved in politics!!
Great post!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's clear gays are on the march to destroy the country and it's values and we are going to have to fight it at every turn.
This is becoming more and more clear as time goes on. Anybody who doesn't see this has blinders on. If they were successful at forcing a private company to cater to them, they will have no problem in forcing churches to change their position on homosexuality or having them shut down by the government. This is starting to equate to terrorism.

I'm talking about the homosexual activist movement here. Let me put a disclaimer that not all homosexuals support this kind of radicalism.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a business offers a service to the general public it accepts the responsibility for providing the service to ALL of the public. Gay people are part of the public with all the rights and responsibilities of any citizen. If the dating service does not want to serve ALL of the public they can go out of business.

This was a good and reasonable ruling.
Say what? By your standards every business would have to provide for every imagineable contingency. Vegetarian restaurants would be required to provide a sirloin to any customer who wasn't happy with the veggie-only menu? Men's clothing stores would have to start carrying clothing for women and children? Catholic churches would have to start offering services for Baptists, Methodists, Jews...? Toyota dealers would have to offer Pontiacs and Volvos?

Any business should have the right to offer their services to niche markets and not have to be all things to all people. It's one thing if they receive federal funding but that is hardly the case for eHarmony. If gays were being excluded from every dating service in the country then maybe they would have a valid issue but that is certainly not what happened here. They were extorted, plain and simple. Every private business should have the right to "refuse service to anyone" who doesn't meet their customer guidelines - that's sorta what the "private" thing is all about. eHarmony was founded expressly for the purpose of creating heterosexual matches and it is absurd to compel them to change the purpose for which the business was created.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
The judge should have thrown out this case as having no merit to begin with. Why it got to where it got is a travesty.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,340 times
I am a big supporter of gay (and other minority) rights, and even I find this to be one of those "only in America" kind of lawsuits. This really angers me. You know there are plenty of gay dating websites, just as there is j-Date (for Jews), Alt.com (for freaky people) and sugardaddy.com (for prostitutes who don't want to work very hard). Even if there was a "racistbigotsforlove.com" website, I'd support it because it is the right of private companies to discriminate based on a set of principles. I believe men's clubs and women's clubs should be able to exist. I believe that white groups and black groups should exist. And I believe that Jews and Christians should be able to find a website that caters only to those just like them. I just don't believe that you should make the Jewish group accept Catholics, or the Black group accept white people...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a business offers a service to the general public it accepts the responsibility for providing the service to ALL of the public. Gay people are part of the public with all the rights and responsibilities of any citizen. If the dating service does not want to serve ALL of the public they can go out of business.

This was a good and reasonable ruling.
I'm taller than average and I can't find jeans that fit right in most stores. I guess I should sue them because they sell pants but none for me. Then, when they start catering to me by carrying taller sizes I can sue them again because my daughter is extremely petite and the only jeans that fit her are in the little girl section, but she is nearly 14 and doesn't want to wear little girl jeans. They should make teen jeans for her too.

Oh, and the car I really wanted to buy...the armrest was at the wrong height for me and it wasn't adjustable. I ended up buying a different car. Maybe I should have sued them to make the car to fit me specifically.

Hey, and what about people with food allergies who can't eat at restaurants because of peanut oil, or wheat flour or milk in the products. They are entitled to the same service options as all of us who don't have food allergies.

How stupid....how do you think ANY company could stay in business by catering to every individual.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm sure there must be dozens upon dozens of online gay dating services. should they be sued by straight people?
This is good. I specifically never used that site because of their obvious hetero preference.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'm taller than average and I can't find jeans that fit right in most stores. I guess I should sue them because they sell pants but none for me. Then, when they start catering to me by carrying taller sizes I can sue them again because my daughter is extremely petite and the only jeans that fit her are in the little girl section, but she is nearly 14 and doesn't want to wear little girl jeans. They should make teen jeans for her too.

Oh, and the car I really wanted to buy...the armrest was at the wrong height for me and it wasn't adjustable. I ended up buying a different car. Maybe I should have sued them to make the car to fit me specifically.

Hey, and what about people with food allergies who can't eat at restaurants because of peanut oil, or wheat flour or milk in the products. They are entitled to the same service options as all of us who don't have food allergies.

How stupid....how do you think ANY company could stay in business by catering to every individual.
Excellent point!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I don't feel left out. They are a private company and should be able to freely cater to whomever they please.

Thats the difference. I respect their right to exclude me from their target demographic. Gays frequently fail to grasp that concept and would rather shove their agenda everywhere on everybody. Talk about intolerance....

Oh yes, the famous agenda....you forgot to mention the Gay Mafia as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies