U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times

Advertisements

I dont tip at hotels, because they already charge me extra on my credit card when I check out

they charge an extra $30 - $40 for some type of tax?

why give them another tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 03:27 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I dont tip at hotels, because they already charge me extra on my credit card when I check out

they charge an extra $30 - $40 for some type of tax?

why give them another tip?
Because the people who work there cleaning up after you and waiting on you don't get the room taxes charged by the government.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,039,458 times
I usually only tip food service people and then for the service nothing else. IF I get exemplary service from someone doing a job for me in another field I will at least consider tipping and do often. I do not get tipped for my work why would I tip so many people in their jobs, they chose to do them?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 AM

9,746 posts, read 6,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Tipping,

well, waiters at restaurants, hairdresser, coffee shop i might leave a quarter, not that much because it is their job to make my coffee and I am sick of not getting thanked for the tip, mailman NO NO NO (this is after moving to a "rural" area and he did not deliver becasue I didn't shovel out 15x5 feet of driveway immediately in front of the mailbox so he could just drive up and put it in, I live on main road and plows come by every 20 minutes---he's not getting a penny from me if he couldn't step out of the truck and throw my stuff in the box w/ a note to tell me to clean the area next time)

I someone is delivering something to my house, esp. if it is bad weather, I sometimes will tip if they are maintaining a positive attitude. Their company is getting most of the delivery charge.
A quarter???????????????

Standard tip is 20%.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM

9,746 posts, read 6,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So let me understand this..... you go in McDonalds say..... the workers there are running about in a feverish fashion preparing your ordered food. It is put on a tray, which you collect.... no tip. But, if instead, say for instance, staff in McDonalds had to carry the tray a few feet to your table, that is service, and deserves a tip. That is really the difference, as I see it, from fast food, to a restaurant.

You say "bartenders work their butt off serving me drinks, so I'm going to compensate them...." You mean like when they take the lid off a bottle of beer? I think you have to be an outsider like me to see how ridiculous it is. I feel many Americans are frightened of being called 'tightwads' or something equally ridiculous. Last year my wife and I, and two American friends went in a bar. This is a locals bar, not the tourist area. We had a very pleasant few hours drinking Bud lights..... so American.... I loved it. Anyway, a tab was run up, and we got the bill at the end. Our friend told us the cost, plus the tip, which we split. After we left, I asked, "why do we have to tip the guy for taking the top off our beers, is he very lowly paid like wait staff?" My friend said, "oh no, he'll probably be on minimum wage, wait staff get much less." So I said, "so why do you tip him then?" He looked puzzled, and said, "I don't know really.... they expect a tip."

I do understand tipping is ingrained in America, and of course, I tip accordingly. There is no way I am going to be served by wait staff, and not tip. I do understand they are paid below minimum wage. But, that doesn't make it right. No one in England is paid below minimum wage, wait staff, nobody. I just don't understand why wait staff are expected to jump through hoops to get tips, and make a living wage, while their employers get workers for peanuts. Sorry if I offend anybody, I am trying to keep this light, and with a slight tongue in cheek! But if you read all this thread, and others like it, there is a sense of some folks feeling tipping has got out of hand, and there is an expression of resentment from some. Especially some people feeling they're expected to tip people who are earning a much better living than they themselves are.
When in Rome do as the Romans.

Expect to tip 20%. That is why in America waiters do a better job than in Europe.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,248,917 times
I almost always tip at least 20% in restaurants, generally rounding up to the nearest dollar because mental math isn't exactly my strong point. If the service is bad and I can tell that it's due to the fault of the server alone, I will reduce my tip depending on the circumstances, but I do also always try to get a resolution to the issue before I reduce the tip.

I also tip the pizza delivery guy, though I don't have a hard and fast rule there. I will say that the tip generally goes up in bad weather/busy nights (Super Bowl, for example).

I tip my hair stylist at least 20% -- my hair is hard to deal with on a good day, and I don't trust just anyone with it, thanks to more butchered hairdos than I care to remember.

Quote:
Anyone else starting to think it's absurd to leave tips, esp. if you are working min wage as well?
Um, no. Because servers work for less than minimum wage, often much less -- a couple bucks per hour. Restaurants get away with this because they use the tips as justification. I've never worked in a restaurant, but I know so many people who have, and let me tell you -- it's grueling work. On your feet constantly, juggling demanding customers, screaming babies (or screaming customers and demanding babies), and knowing you need to make a certain amount in tips just to make your living.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 AM

24,770 posts, read 6,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
When in Rome do as the Romans.

Expect to tip 20%. That is why in America waiters do a better job than in Europe.
I am on holiday in Tunisia at the moment. Not quite Europe, but near enough. The waiters do a great job......

You need to get out of America, and see how other parts of the world do things. Many Americans are fed up of the tipping culture, not just visitors. I still have my tongue in cheek by the way.....

Old 11-26-2013, 09:46 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,178,137 times
It's quite common on the continent for a service charge to be included in the menu price. It's usually 15%. It's also traditional to leave a little extra. In France, this would be called "pour boire" and in Germany "trinkgeld". Either would translate roughly as "Thanks, have a drink on me". It originally meant that one would leave the coins in change from the bill on the table, but with inflation, that's kind of not enough. 2-3% would be well recieved. In the UK, they do things differently, and tipping is more like here.

Speaking of here, many more or less upscale restaurants rate their wait staff by tip percentages added to credit card bills. The scales involved can vary, but it's fair to consider that 20% or below will not be taken as a good sign. Particularly if you got good service then, try to get above that mark and put it on the credit card.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,866,566 times
Waitstaff in upscale restaurants make tips out of proportion to their service. Tipping based on the food bill amount considers that the waitstaff in an upscale restaurant serves the coffee in some significantly superior manner than the one in a walk-in cafe.

Then there are those who believe that because the food cost $200 per seat that somehow the waitstaff were partly responsible for that and should be compensated for service accordingly. It all follows with being more concerned with making a distinction for the benefit of others instead of appreciating the value of the service.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,178,137 times
Staff can spend three hours with a table at a fine dining establishment and fifteen minutes in a diner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies