U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,651,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Waitstaff in upscale restaurants make tips out of proportion to their service. Tipping based on the food bill amount considers that the waitstaff in an upscale restaurant serves the coffee in some significantly superior manner than the one in a walk-in cafe.
They do. It's usually served in a French Press, and never, ever does any splash on the saucer.

Quote:
Then there are those who believe that because the food cost $200 per seat that somehow the waitstaff were partly responsible for that and should be compensated for service accordingly. It all follows with being more concerned with making a distinction for the benefit of others instead of appreciating the value of the service.
The waitstaff in a fine dining establishment is generally knowledgeable about wine pairings and a much broader variety of food than one would ever find in a Fridays. The service is usually intuitive and impeccable. If you don't understand the difference between them, then you've never dined at a fine dining restaurant.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 01:35 PM

3,017 posts, read 3,272,599 times
Tipping:

Should be done. . . .

Anytime the person that is provides a service to you that their hourly wage alone does not allow them to earn a reasonable income in order to survive.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 PM

131 posts, read 110,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Tipping:

Should be done. . . .

Anytime the person that is provides a service to you that their hourly wage alone does not allow them to earn a reasonable income in order to survive.
Interesting, here in Australia with our minimum wage being over A$16 hr we do not tip.
What did bug me in the New York was the waiter hovering when I was having a steak in Brooklyn, ended up telling him the less I saw of him the larger the tip would be.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:15 PM

15,758 posts, read 26,814,388 times
The Art of Tipping | Kineda

Tipping for me is more than just for the good service. I tip for information. I tip to get that person to offer better service later on. Lets say that you are at Las Vegas. Your drink server stops by and offers you a drink. Realize that many times these drinks can be complimentary in a place like Vegas. When tipping I prefer the hand shake method passing at least a $10 to the drink server. I don't even drink alcoholic beverages. I prefer Pepsi. Here is the deal. I may want to visit a hot club in the area. I now have a friend that can point me the way. That server may even know someone that I can get tickets to a show that we may want to see. The same method can be used to get a better seat at a show.

Just for fun:

The Art of Tipping - Seriously, For Real?

I will never tip a cow

Cow tipping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cow Tipping - Fact or Fiction

Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,560,909 times
I tip based on whether I'm going to see them again.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,240 times
I almost always tip at a sit-down restaurant, and it's usually 20 percent. I tip my baristas and bar tenders if they're good, and if they're really good I'll tip 'em well. Cabbies, doormen, and other service providers here and there if I've got cash on me. But I don't like the entitlement mentality that's creeping into our society. In actuality, a ton of people from police officers to teachers to everyone else probably 'deserve' to be tipped - but they ain't gettin a dime more than what they've got now. And some will be lucky to have their jobs beyond next year. So I don't mind tipping, but the moment someone gets gruff with me about a stiffed tip, I'll tell 'em to wizz off.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 AM

24,871 posts, read 6,194,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I almost always tip at a sit-down restaurant, and it's usually 20 percent.
This is something I find very curious, and would appreciate explained to me. I was told a few years ago by an American in his 60s, that when he was young, the expected tip was about 10%. When I first visited America in 1988, I understood the expected tip was 15%. Now I hear 20% is expected. Why is this? With inflation, as prices have gone up, then the tip will likewise. For instance, say, 50 years ago, your bill for a meal was $5, at 10% the tip would have been 50 cents. If with inflation, the same meal today is $50, then the tip would also have increased with inflation to $5. So why has the percentage of the tip doubled, so the tip would now be $10? Just askin.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies