U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I've been seeing more and more tip jars everywhere, like fast food places, carry out, card/gift shops, small retail shops, etc...

Is it really getting to the point where people expect tips when they are already making regular wages? When they really don't give customer service? I don't give gratuity because people just show up and stand there like a lump.
Amen to that. A waiter earns his/her money. A barrista rings up my order, walks over to the coffee urn and pours my coffee. That deserves a tip? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Sniuce tipping is voluntary I say do what you like.Inever tip except for waiters and the amount depends on the service and pasling lot attendants;bag boys at store etc. never retial. Tipping has gotten overboard IMO.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,989,343 times
The original idea behind tipping, I think,, was to encourage excellent service. The recipient is usally waitstaff. It's a hard job that requires attention to each customer, but more emportantly it requires a 'desire' to serve the public.

When I dine in a respected restaurant, I expect to not be ignored because I am alone. I do not expect to get my own water, coffee, silverware, napkins, crackers or anything else. And I expect dirty dishes to be removed. I do not accept cold food, and I do not accept your fingers in my food, Least of all I hate dirty plates when a quick wipe will solve the problem. This type of service deserves no tip. Conversely, waitstaff that works hard to make your visit memorable, who works hard to make you feel like you are the most important customer in the room (because you are) deserves a generous tip. At one time or other I left a tip equal to the cost of the meal because the server deserved it. I also did my share of complaints to management because the server and management both derseved it.

I worked in food service for many years and I can say with some certaomty that most problems in restaurant start with management and spillover into the kitchen. The customerr is the one who gets the poor service that leaves a bad tasted in the mouth and memory.

Motel housekeeping, taxi, train and plane 'red caps', pharmacy delivery, barber, washroom attendants, car jockey, coat attendant, etc., all deserve a tip just because they are present to make my ????? easier or more enjoyable. I really believe when superior service is received, he/she deserves a minium of 20% or largeer gratuity.

There isn't anything worse than giving great service to those who do not appreiate it. These types of customers are cheapskates. They'd leave a buck at the White House and pat themselfes on the back as they walked out the door because they left any a tip at all. Most of time they don't have a clue as to why they don't get great service the next time or the time after that. . . . .

Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
I wish to see the entire practise of tipping eliminated.
Hire somebody and pay what the job is 'worth'.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,769,891 times
I think tipping can easily get out of control--and does. I see it on a daily basis--tip jars at delis, at sandwich shops, restaurant counters, etc. It's out of control!

My rule is to prioritize tipping for those that make less-than a minimum wage for their base salary, and rely on tips as a percentage of the majority of their income: such as waiters and bartenders. They deserve the 20%, and work hard to get it.

I also regularly tip a cab driver--of course--and baggage handlers. I tip room service staff--the same as I would a waiter.

I rarely ever put money in a jar for counter-people. The only time is if I have a few pennies, nickels, dimes after the cashier rings up the order. That is rare, though.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 PM

4,075 posts, read 6,416,683 times
Tipping is completely out of control. It should be limited to people who render service beyond the scope of their job requirements. For wait staff I tip 5-20% depending on attitude, attention, and service. I never tip of take-out. I will give a small "bonus" to moving labor and I tell them up front, "if you do a good job there is a $? extra for you." (I always provide bottled water).
I actually read a post on this board that the op was asking how much to tip a real estate agent after purchasing a home for $300k. I am still laughing over that one. People get paid, they get commissions, company bonuses, and that is enough.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:12 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
There are tip dishes and baskets near many cash registers here in Portland with a sign that will say. TIPS ARE AWESOME. I have even seen one of these signs next to the cash register in a Welcome to Oregon souvenir store. Yeah, welcome to Oregon now give us your spare change beyond the purchase price for our tip. That is really a welcoming sight for a tourist to see. Of course there are countless people walking all over Portland asking for spare change and dollars even, those are the homeless. Seems to me alot of this tipping is the same thing, begging. Tips were designed for the wait staff in a restaurant where the hourly wage is ridiculously low. That is when I tip, or the barber. The tipping has spread to so many type services one could not count them all. However I am not tipping the clerk in a store when I buy something and they have that basket that says TIPS ARE AWESOME. That to me is glorifed begging. In fact I was told by a Sbarro pizza shop here in town that their corporate office told them, they were not allowed to have that tip dish in their fast food restaurant.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:21 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,717,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There are tip dishes and baskets near many cash registers here in Portland with a sign that will say. TIPS ARE AWESOME . . .
How long before we see virtual tip jars on posts?

[Tips are welcome - yes, I accept PayPal]

Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,758,519 times
Same here, I see a number of people in Portland with the same or "Tipping is good karma", I don't give a buck to them for the same reason....they get a proper wage and the service wasn't spectacular. People are just greedy and want more money for the same work. If they want more money maybe they should get out of their low wage, dead end job by getting a better education (or stop doing things that might prevent it).

I was grabbing food a deli one day (terrible, 20 minutes for a turkey sandwich) and cashier runs after me yelling "That's not nice, you didn't tip us!"....it's like your service was awful, all of them make a decent wage, and you think running after me to shame me into tipping you would help?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,717,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I was grabbing food a deli one day (terrible, 20 minutes for a turkey sandwich) and cashier runs after me yelling "That's not nice, you didn't tip us!"....it's like your service was awful, all of them make a decent wage, and you think running after me to shame me into tipping you would help?
I would have said, "Here's a tip: don't take 20 minutes to make a turkey sandwich."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies