Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I would have said, "Here's a tip: don't take 20 minutes to make a turkey sandwich."
I said something I couldn't retell here that was part of it most certainly!

Don't run after an %$&hole looking to guilt them into a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 05:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I tip waiters/waitresses, my tattoo artist and anyone who goes above and beyond to merit an extra couple of bucks. If you're doing the job you were hired for, you shouldn't get a tip... I certainly don't. If you go out of your way to help me (which is ALWAYS highly appreciated) then yes, you deserve it

Old 11-29-2008, 06:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
We need a posted list of "Who to Tip" - where are you Ms. Manners?

We bought some furniture and when the delivery guys were done they sort of hung around for a bit. It finally dawned on me that they were waiting for a tip (so I did). Had not entered my mine that I should tip them.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I would post a list if I could locate it. Usually right before the holidays several magazines contain an article about tipping. I clipped a couple, but who knows where they are.

I personally tip 20% in restaurants and less if the service isn't up to par. I always tip 20% in beauty salons and spas, for manicures and pedicures, hair and massages.

I tipped my movers at both ends (different crews).

I tip for pizza deliveries but not for any other deliveries (don't get a paper delivered).

In delis and other fast food type or coffee houses where they have a tip cup, I may or may not tip depending on what I've ordered, the effort required and if I like the looks of and the attitude of the person serving me. I don't just tip there by rule of thumb.

In hotels, I always tip the maid every day and tip the bellman.

And, last but not least, I tip the guys who wipe my car down and Armor All the tires after a full-service car wash.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I have a hair appointment next week.
Just because of letting popular tipping protocol unconsciously infiltrate by brain, I've always included a tip.
This thread made me stop and think . Wait a minute!
She owns the shop and sets the prices!
If she wants/ needs higher income, she raises her price.
I will pay the exact bill next week.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Yea, my hairdresser is the only person in his shop. Coloring and cut is $80. Most often I do not tip.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
I will be tipping the garbage collectors this year because I put out a lot of heavy stuff during the year and it was always gone when I got home from work. I doubt that everything I put out there abided by their rules.

I never tipped my mail carrier because the service wasn't so great. I get other people's mail pretty frequently. That being said, I am going to tip her this year and see how it goes during 2009.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 AM

20,337 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I tip the mail carrier, news paper delivery guys, garbage men and the woman who cuts my hair.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i tip everybody because i used to work in the service sector, received good tips, and appreciated it greatly! some service sector people are not making very much money and count on tips to supplement their income.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Tipping..tipping and more tipping...where do you all stand on this?

I know the average person probably tips 15-20% when going out to eat, getting thier hair and nails done etc... but what about ohter things that maybe most don't tip? Is it fair to expect someone who is receiving flowers as a gift to tip the delivery person? How about furniture delivery? Most places if not all charge a decent delivry fee so are you still expected to tip the people that deliver it too? How about your mailman. Some people tip thier mailman around Xmas? How about when you are staying at a hotel and you have a few xtra towels brought up?

What do you think?
Tipping has gotton way out of hand. Now everyone from Butchers to Bakers and CandleStick Makers feel entitled to be tipped. Pretty soon people will expect to be tipped for enthusiatically telling you to Have a Nice Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies