U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,450,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I tip waiters/waitresses, my tattoo artist and anyone who goes above and beyond to merit an extra couple of bucks. If you're doing the job you were hired for, you shouldn't get a tip... I certainly don't. If you go out of your way to help me (which is ALWAYS highly appreciated) then yes, you deserve it
I second this nomination. And I would like to add that lousy service doesn't merit a tip, under any circumstances. (If the provider took it for granted that a tip was forthcoming and was offended by its absence, I wouldn't lose any sleep if I had to explain things).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM

110 posts, read 255,574 times
I tip the waitstaff well if they do a good job. If you go to a restaurant, try to be nice and not surly, and just see how much better your service is.

i tip my tattoo artist bucu, b/c they do something truly amazing for me that no one else can do.

I don't really go out to do anything else, so there is no one to tip!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM

956 posts, read 2,697,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Tipping..tipping and more tipping...where do you all stand on this?

I know the average person probably tips 15-20% when going out to eat, getting thier hair and nails done etc... but what about ohter things that maybe most don't tip? Is it fair to expect someone who is receiving flowers as a gift to tip the delivery person? How about furniture delivery? Most places if not all charge a decent delivry fee so are you still expected to tip the people that deliver it too? How about your mailman. Some people tip thier mailman around Xmas? How about when you are staying at a hotel and you have a few xtra towels brought up?

What do you think?
Did somebody recently watch Reservoir Dogs?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,735,593 times
I tip the dog pig ears when he's good

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM

19,647 posts, read 19,757,752 times
Since nobody else has, I'll be the one brave enough to suffer the s and the moans and groans and say the best tip for really poor service is "Get a different job"

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM

6,952 posts, read 12,432,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Tipping has gotton way out of hand. Now everyone from Butchers to Bakers and CandleStick Makers feel entitled to be tipped. Pretty soon people will expect to be tipped for enthusiatically telling you to Have a Nice Day.
I agree it is so far out of hand it resembles the general poor manners in much of this country. Maybe we should all ask for a tip when we hold a door for someone, and they walk right thru without as much as a nod or thank you.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 PM

464 posts, read 1,520,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree it is so far out of hand it resembles the general poor manners in much of this country. Maybe we should all ask for a tip when we hold a door for someone, and they walk right thru without as much as a nod or thank you.
Bingo !

Old 12-16-2008, 12:23 PM

347 posts, read 1,197,594 times
For restaurants, I tip depending on the kind of service I get.
I also tip the pizza delivery guy, barber, etc.
I don't tip furniture delivery since they have already charged for that.
The only time I did not tip was in a Thai restaurant where the waitress got the check and said "Here is your check, and I expect a tip"

Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM

34,905 posts, read 31,942,971 times
Sorry about old thread but I wanted to add. I know of a service industry that will all but force you to tip. On the trip the entire time the employees kept mentioning tips and how any jackpots are customarily given back to the boat and what not.
If you can't pay rent unless people winning jackpots give you all of the winnings shouldn't you be looking at different work or living arrangements?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,566,198 times
This is funny:
Tipping your waiter for good service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies