U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,703,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sorry about old thread but I wanted to add. I know of a service industry that will all but force you to tip. On the trip the entire time the employees kept mentioning tips and how any jackpots are customarily given back to the boat and what not.
If you can't pay rent unless people winning jackpots give you all of the winnings shouldn't you be looking at different work or living arrangements?

I've noticed a couple of restaurants in my area are including a 15% 'gratuity' on the bill.... I guess a lot of people are lousy tippers and now they're simply forcing people to tip. I don't go to those restaurants anymore and if I see a 15% gratuity charge, I kindly ask them to take it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,940,955 times
On a cruise ship, one ALWAYS tips the cabin steward and the waiter(s). Tipping the Ship's Captain, however, is frowned upon....and seen as an 'insult', no matter HOW well you feel the ship was steered.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

755 posts, read 2,034,268 times
I think tipping alot of times is a personal choice, I mean there are those times where I feel like it's warranted and alot where I don't think I should have to. If I go to a restaurant and the waiter/waitress serves me food then I feel like I should tip. But if I go to the same restaurant and buy a drink at the bar then I don't think I should have too tip. But what about movers, they are getting paid but I have tipped them before because I thought that they had done a great job. Or a bagger at the grocery store, even if they don't take your groceries out to your car they still, to me deserve a tip.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 626,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Did somebody recently watch Reservoir Dogs?
Throw in a buck ya cheap bastard!! Joe

Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM

1,264 posts, read 626,157 times
I own a home service business where, often as a stranger, enter their homes and have a looksee throughout. I do my work, well and within budget, do not steal anything. Sometimes the homeowner will put a little something extra in for appreciation.

When I owned a home years back, the trash collectors were only obligated to empty 2 cans on the curb. Now and then, I would have extras bagged for removal. Cuttings, whatever. They always took it away. I mean they would hand buck these cans to the truck. No modern lift types with the blue plastic.

Every Xmas AND July 4th I would put a case of beer out. GOOD beer.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,491,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Tipping has gotton way out of hand. Now everyone from Butchers to Bakers and CandleStick Makers feel entitled to be tipped. Pretty soon people will expect to be tipped for enthusiatically telling you to Have a Nice Day.
I tend to agree with you. I'm from an era where people got better jobs if they didn't like what they earned. Tipping was only for exceptional service. I do tip the lady who cuts my hair and I tip servers and waiters in sit-down restaurants. I never tip for drive up service or to-go. All they're doing is handing me a bag of food. And the mailman, trash man, etc? Nope. They're doing their job. They're already getting paid, and probably by my tax dollars.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,212,020 times
I only tip at restaurants

tipping is almost turning into panhandling in some places, everywhere you go somebody wants your spare change

I avoid any restaurant that automatically charges a tip on your bill

tipping is the customer's decision

I left a tip on the table and when I paid at the register they tried to make me give them another tip and withheld my change, I guess they wanted a double tip?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM

35,631 posts, read 10,546,076 times
I tip the pizza delivery person (very well, I might add, and more when the weather's bad), hair stylist, flower delivery person, etc. and we consider ourselves to be generous tippers. At restaurants, we tip well too, and I wouldn't patronize a place which includes a gratuity in the charge.

I heard someone talking about tipping furniture/appliance delivery people, and thought they must be kidding. That's where I draw the line.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 AM

748 posts, read 1,415,310 times
I only tip for food when we go to a restaurant, and now I’m starting to see how silly it is to do that. Why should I give people my hard earned money for doing THEIR JOB they are getting paid for. I don't get extra money for folding clothes in a stock room working min. wage. Why should I give someone else money just because they bought me food and don't make very much money for it? They are already getting paid, so I’m starting to wonder why bother? I've got my own bills to pay, when someone starts forking me over money to do my own job I’m already getting paid for, I may be a bit more open with my money. I'm actually starting to consider not leaving tips at all, seems like such a waste. If I’m working min wage and making it no since in feeling so sorry for everyone else working min wage and handing them what little bit of money I make all because of what...they bought me some food. Well dang that IS their job, which is WHY they already receive a paycheck. Not as if they are working for free. Same could be said about any job...bagging grocery's for someone, building someones house, and so on. If you are doing something for someone then how come we don't ALL receive tips. After all you are preforming a service for someone.

Anyone else starting to think it's absurd to leave tips, esp. if you are working min wage as well?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,153,497 times
How often do you eat out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies