Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,912,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I usally tell the waiter to study harder next time ............
Oooh good one

What about the servers who came from families too poor for them to get a good education? If the economy gets bad enough you'll see more college educated people waiting tables-even you possibly.

Not to mention all the waiters working their way through college that haven't flunked anything. If you can't afford to tip, or don't want to, go to McDonald's. It's more suiting for people of your caliber anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,055,596 times
I'm not sure when to tip anymore! I tip my waiter and the pizza delivery guy, which I'm starting to think I shouldn't since they seem to be charging me a tip now in the price! I tip my hairdresser which I'm starting to think is a mistake since he owns the salon and charges more than any other stylists in there! Hubby tips bellhop at hotels and those who carry our luggage in for us, but starting to wonder if we need to start tipping turn-down service at hotels??? Not sure who to tip anymore!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 AM

609 posts, read 1,173,957 times
In canada the waiters are pretty good, or else they dont get tipped..

the most suprising and shocking thing was at a resturant in the US when we had this waitress who was absolutely terrible. She was rude, not attentive and messed up all the orders. it was clear it was not her fault for the mix up (probably the cook), however she was not apologetic for herself or the cook, a common courtesy. at the end when my parents gave her what she thought was unfair tip, she complained!!! the nerve!!

when you go to resturant, tis for the food and expirience. if not everyone would eat at home!!! the server, because they rely on tips, has to earn it.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,733,482 times
No I do not. If someone makes a delivery, I pay the delivery fee. The mailman? I give him gifts from time to time and have helped him fix his car. Restaurants? I only go to self-service buffets. The fast service I provide myself gets me in and out very quickly. Haircuts? I do those at home. Every other service I need I provide. The few times I went on business trips I saw that the hotel housekeeper left an envelope to beg for cash. If they do not get enough pay from the management they should find another line of work. Since I have never recieved a tip, why should anyone else? I will never do business with any entity that does not pay their employees enough to avoid begging for more. Now with business dealings I routinely give something extra to an employee who goes the "extra mile" and deserves it. However, I will not tolerate being pressured to pay a "tip".

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,637,345 times
I personally feel the whole tipping thing has gotten way out of hand. It used to be you would tip your server now it's everywhere I see a mug that reads "tips appreciated". WTF?? These people that work NON server jobs all get paid hourly or salary so why on earth am I giving away money?? At Starbucks, if I get outstanding service and I have a little extra on me, yes for them I will tip.
I'm not tipping the Dunkin Donuts, the local flower guy, the mailman or anyone else. I think it's out of hand these days...
I realize everyone is trying to make a living but c'mon.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times
I tip double the bill including tax for great service in a restaurant. It's adjusted up or down for average service or truly outstanding service. For fair service I tip 10%, for poor service, no tip and a conversation with a manager.

I tip all spa services at 20%, including massage. My hair dresser gets $20 on an $86 bill. SHe's fabulous and will squeeze me in even if she's booked.

I don't tip at counter service places--sometimes I'll toss the change into the jar if I do'nt feel like carrying it around.

I give the newspaper guy $10 each Christmas, I pay for the paper directly so there is no "weekly" tip.

I give the garbage guy $20 each year for Christmas, he does a great job and will turn the truck off if I'm walking with my very skittish dog--how many people would do that for you?

I tip my lawn guy $50 at Christmas, although this year he's done a lot of extra work, so it will probably be $75.

In hotels I tip housekeeping $1-2 per person, per night. I also tip for any special requests such as more pillows or hangers.

The pizza delivery gets 10-15% depending on how fast they are. The exception is the girl who brings a doggy cookie for my pooch when she delivers to me, she gets 20%.

I bring a "shared gift" like a box of candy to the place where I get my packages delivered. I get probably 100 packages a year delivered there, when my wine deliveries come in they call me as they know I want to get it properly cellared asap.

Cab drivers get 10-20% depending on courtesy, cleanliness, and safe driving.

I tip the bag boy $.50 per bag they carry out. Most of the places I shop have free carryout service.

I've only once tipped furniture delivery guys, they meticulously delivered a very heavy, very expensive piece and assembled it for me.

Bell services in hotels get $1-2 per bag. Valets get $5 on safe return of the car--$10-20 if I'm driving my roadster and the milage hasn't changed...

Old 11-24-2008, 08:11 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I usally tell the waiter to study harder next time ............
He won't study harder next time, but he WILL spit in your food the next time.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,147,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Tipping..tipping and more tipping...where do you all stand on this?

I know the average person probably tips 15-20% when going out to eat, getting thier hair and nails done etc... but what about ohter things that maybe most don't tip? Is it fair to expect someone who is receiving flowers as a gift to tip the delivery person? How about furniture delivery? Most places if not all charge a decent delivry fee so are you still expected to tip the people that deliver it too? How about your mailman. Some people tip thier mailman around Xmas? How about when you are staying at a hotel and you have a few xtra towels brought up?

What do you think?
I try to tip as infrequently as possible, although I'll tip the standard amount in places like restaurants, even though I don't like the idea; I do not at all like that it's looked upon as an obligation that I have. I'd rather just have businesses where employees usually receive tips charge a bit more so they can pay their employees more, and I can shop around based on advertised prices. For a lot of things--like handling my bags getting in and out of a cab, I get annoyed that the driver wants to do it and expects a tip for it. It's absolutely no problem for me to handle my own bags. It's not worth a couple bucks to me to have someone else do it; I'm really not that wealthy where I can go around supplementing everyone's income. How about I do it and the driver refunds me a dollar or two per bag from the fare? Is it worth that much money to the driver to not have to lift my bags?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 AM

41,926 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I tip my hairdresser which I'm starting to think is a mistake since he owns the salon and charges more than any other stylists in there!
I thought it was bad manners to tip the owner?!? Or is that an old-fashioned sentiment?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,048,331 times
I've been seeing more and more tip jars everywhere, like fast food places, carry out, card/gift shops, small retail shops, etc...

Is it really getting to the point where people expect tips when they are already making regular wages? When they really don't give customer service? I don't give gratuity because people just show up and stand there like a lump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies