U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,117,069 times
Reputation: 3536

Advertisements

Now in the title of the thread you say GROUP OF GAYS but in your post you make it sound as if ALL members of the gay and lesbian community are doing this.

There are radicals in many sections of our society: Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Overweight people, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 13,117,069 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Yeah, but at least Christians aren't out there picketing gay businesses. They at least are trying to accomplish it the democratic way.

I don't understand why gays get so huffy over a technicality of the word "marriage" vs. Civil Union.

My rights have been abridged before and yet you don't see me out there picketing restaurants who may have supported it.
Some christian organizations are all up in arms because eharmony decided to cater to the gay and lesbian community.

I think it was the Southern Baptists who wanted to boycott Disney Land and Ford because they had some glbt friendly business practices.

Not ALL gays get all "huffy" about the technicality of the word "marriage" vs civil unions and I can say the same damn thing about Christians who get all upset over the word MARRIAGE including same-sex couples.

Civil unions and marriage are NOT the same thing:

Quote:
How does domestic partnership differ from marriage?
While the AB 205 takes a giant step toward creating equality for same-sex couples, it doesnt give same-sex couples all the rights and responsibilities of marriage. To begin with, it doesnt allow couples to walk down the aisle, say I do, and announce to the world that they are a married couple. There is a great deal of cultural, historical and social significance attached to that statement and the status that goes with it. It may be the single most important aspect of marriage.

The law does not give same-sex couples any of the more than 1000 rights and benefits that the federal government gives to married couples, including:
  • the right to sponsor a partner for immigration purposes;
  • the right to family-related Social Security benefits;
  • the right to federal income and estate tax breaks; and
  • the right to purchase continued health coverage for a partner after the loss of a job.
Right now, the federal government wont let any state extend these federal benefits to same-sex couples, no matter what the relationship is called.

Even under California law, same-sex couples are not completely equal. Domestic Partners cannot file joint state income taxes and state employees are not entitled to the same benefits under the states long-term care benefits package. (This could be an advantage. See below.)

In addition, if you enter into a California domestic partnership, many of the protections will not exist if and when you are outside California. For instance, if you or your partner are injured in another state, you are allowed hospital visitation or the right to make emergency medical decisions on behalf of your partner.
Source: Get Busy. Get Equal: Frequently Asked Questions about California Domestic Partnerships (http://www.aclu.org/getequal/rela/california.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,390 posts, read 4,679,545 times
Reputation: 2440
Why is a group of gay people so intolerance while asking for others to be tolerance towards them?


Probably the same reason Jews are so intolerant of Nazis and blacks are so intolerant of the KKK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 AM
 
1,364 posts, read 2,609,890 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
No, he's right, this just reinforces the gay stereotype and hopefully sets it back 50 years.
My gosh can you be any more angry and hold a vendetta more? You say you are born again Christian but you take shots at the gay community, say nasty things about them, lump everybody together refusing to admit there are good people in there, and make very horrible statements. That's not very Christian is it? I'm starting to think you have some very major issues or are just trolling. You really need to look in the mirror when talking about hateful behavior and treating others unfairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM
 
695 posts, read 1,203,844 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Why is a group of gay people so intolerance while asking for others to be tolerance towards them?


Probably the same reason Jews are so intolerant of Nazis and blacks are so intolerant of the KKK.
Hyperbole much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,870,639 times
Reputation: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
And there is evidence that gays are NOT born gay. There are 2 sides to this issue.
The evidence which hypothesizes that homosexualiy is a biological trait is scientific. Those who scream that it is not base their evidence in ideology.

Hardly equal footing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
 
25,912 posts, read 39,216,922 times
Reputation: 13905
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Why is a group of gay people so intolerance while asking for others to be tolerance towards them?


Probably the same reason Jews are so intolerant of Nazis and blacks are so intolerant of the KKK.
How can you even compare this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,132 posts, read 2,014,250 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Blacks were born black, that is how.
You really are clueless aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,132 posts, read 2,014,250 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
And there is evidence that gays are NOT born gay. There are 2 sides to this issue.
Not really, you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,132 posts, read 2,014,250 times
Reputation: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Should I get minority status?
I am quite sure you are already in several protected minorities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top