U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,693,485 times
Reputation: 275

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
You are right, it is not about me, it is about my country and the values we hold dear.
Yeah, but this isn't Iran where you seem to be from or at least socially you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,403 posts, read 52,393,689 times
Reputation: 70378
JGY, no one should bash you or your religion. But they are doing it b/c it is your religion that keeps them down, keeps them stigmatized, and keeps them persecuted and without rights. That is why they are bashing your religion.

It's chicken and egg. You say they are attacking you. What they are doing is retaliating. They were attacked first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,922,231 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
No, my anti-gay marriage view came later. Up until I was in my 30's, I always had a live and let live philosophy, so gay marriage didn't really bother me.
So why not go back to that "live and let live" philosophy if you were so much happier? Why do you make yourself so miserable by being so intolerant when you were so happy when you were a tolerant person? It sounds to me like being born again was the worst thing that ever happened to you. Obvioulsy all those gay people who hated you would have still liked you if you hadn't changed your opinions, so it seems as though it's the fault of your new views and not some "gay agenda".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
 
479 posts, read 1,288,879 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Yeah, cause my second grade teacher (a gay man who died of AIDS) turned me so gay...oh wait, I'm straight. The simple fact is that if you're going to be attracted to the same sex, it doesn't matter how you're raised and how many gay people cross your path. My mother worked in community theater and my sisters figure skated, I was surrounded by gay people my whole life...but my girlfriend will tell you that I'm definitely straight, and a little too into the women because I'm always getting in trouble for checking girls out. If I wasn't turned gay with the overwhelming influence gay people had on my life, I can't imagine that other kids will be turned gay. It's chemistry, either you're turned on by one gender or the other, and sometimes both. But people aren't turned from one team to the other. The people I know who grew up to be gay are all those who were clearly gay growing up, nobody was somehow influenced by some gay person along the way that turned them gay.
I agree with you. I have a friend who was raised by two gay males! Say what! Well they raised him and his sister and they both turn out very heterosexual. My friend used to date many girls in school. Well he is that good looking. Well he went on in life and marry a beautiful woman and has two young children. One of his father died already, but his other father is pretty much in their lives all the time. It is sort of interesting to see them so close like a loving family. Like is all very normal to them. Which it is of course! I learn a lot about gay people just by witnessing all of this. Also one of my sister son seems to be gay. He is 13 and has been around heterosexuals as far as I know. If he is gay, then I sure hope one day he can find a person he will love and hopefully marry, if so he wishes. He has my full support. I sure hope that these Christians don't get in the way of his happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,922,231 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Hey, I just call it as I see it.

And to equate blacks with gays is reprehensible, blacks were born black, gays were not.
Yeah, 'cause people really want to be ridiculed, harrassed, threatened with violence and outcast from the majority of society.

NOBODY chooses to be gay, why would anyone choose to endure all that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,922,231 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sorry, is that the best you can do? I remember kids doing that in the 3rd grade when they couldn't come up with anything better. Your so smart.
Hah! You do realize that you've left yourself open for another grammatical correction, right? When you're trying to insult someone (even if it's a sarcastic comment) it would be best if your grammar was at least somewhat correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,825,042 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
NOBODY chooses to be gay, why would anyone choose to endure all that?
That's the argument they choose to use because people who aren't gay can't fathom being gay, they can't fathom that lifestyle, they can't fathom anyone enjoying anything that is different from them, therefore because they think it's so reprehensible, they like to say people chose it & to put the blame directly on them in the form of saying "Hey, it's your fault for choosing this life. If you don't like it & you don't like how you're treated, then change!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
 
512 posts, read 630,977 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's the argument they choose to use because people who aren't gay can't fathom being gay, they can't fathom that lifestyle, they can't fathom anyone enjoying anything that is different from them, therefore because they think it's so reprehensible, they like to say people chose it & to put the blame directly on them in the form of saying "Hey, it's your fault for choosing this life. If you don't like it & you don't like how you're treated, then change!"
And we all see how well that turns out huh? Ted Haggard anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,825,042 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
And we all see how well that turns out huh? Ted Haggard anyone?
HAHAHA!! Yep, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,569,450 times
Reputation: 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
You are right, it is not about me, it is about my country and the values we hold dear.
Who's "we"?

I'm far from an extremist on the gay marriage issue. I favor gay marriage as a policy matter, but I'm skeptical of most of the legal/constitutional arguments that have been used to force it through via the courts.

Still, I can't help but notice that Prop. 22 passed with 61% eight years ago. Prop 8 passed this year with 52%. This "we" you are talking about is diminishing minute by minute, as the older generation dies off and more enlightened people take their place. When opposition to gay marriage drops below 50%, as it surely will, are you still going to identify "we" with the whole state or whole country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top