U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM

30,359 posts, read 19,994,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No. They are referring to the people who hates gays.

The people who deny gay people rights should be stopped in their tracks.

I'm finding it very difficult to get one gay person to explain to me what rights are presently being denied them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 PM

10,479 posts, read 13,817,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm finding it very difficult to get one gay person to explain to me what rights are presently being denied them.
Well if you don't know, what exactly are you arguing?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,877,637 times
Quote:
How about the right to marry the one you love? With ALL benefits of marriage, which are not afforded by civil domestic partnerships... not to mention the legal costs and hassles of creating a partnership, and yet they still don't receive all the same rights as a married hetero couple. Is that a clear enough answer for you?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,241,270 times
Quote:
If you can't see it, there is no point in explaining it. You are blind.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How about the right to marry the one you love? With ALL benefits of marriage, which are not afforded by civil domestic partnerships... not to mention the legal costs and hassles of creating a partnership, and yet they still don't receive all the same rights as a married hetero couple. Is that a clear enough answer for you?
I'm quite sure the retort will be along the lines of "marriage is between a man and a woman" & that will be the end of it.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm quite sure the retort will be along the lines of "marriage is between a man and a woman" & that will be the end of it.
Yep. Pretty much.

"But marriage is between a man and woman because it is tradition!" or something else.

What these people do not realize is that meanwhile tradition is important, sometimes it is better removed.

You know tradition once said that Africans should be slaves to the white man. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said that we could not marry anyone who was different than us in terms of race. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said that women were people who should stay at home and have babies while cooking and cleaning all day. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said (In the East), that arranged marriage is the only way. Well, my generation here is breaking that tradition.

Does anyone else see a trend here? All the traditions that were broken were to make things more equal! And this tradition is another one that needs to go. Not allowing gay marriage is NOT equal and NOT fair and this 'man and woman' tradition needs to be broken as well.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yep. Pretty much.

"But marriage is between a man and woman because it is tradition!" or something else.

What these people do not realize is that meanwhile tradition is important, sometimes it is better removed.

You know tradition once said that Africans should be slaves to the white man. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said that we could not marry anyone who was different than us in terms of race. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said that women were people who should stay at home and have babies while cooking and cleaning all day. We broke that tradition. Tradition once said (In the East), that arranged marriage is the only way. Well, my generation here is breaking that tradition.

Does anyone else see a trend here? All the traditions that were broken were to make things more equal! And this tradition is another one that needs to go. Not allowing gay marriage is NOT equal and NOT fair and this 'man and woman' tradition needs to be broken as well.
I have nothing against tradition in the irrelevant sense, you know like thanksgiving or christmas traditions. I feel that has no bearing on someone's emotional state. However, tradition in the sense that people abide by it because someone or something else tells them to go by that tradition, regardless of what it will do to a person, is arrogant & ignorant at the time. Not to mention insulting & damaging.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against tradition in the irrelevant sense, you know like thanksgiving or christmas traditions. I feel that has no bearing on someone's emotional state. However, tradition in the sense that people abide by it because someone or something else tells them to go by that tradition, regardless of what it will do to a person, is arrogant & ignorant at the time. Not to mention insulting & damaging.
Exactly. No, those traditions are fine.

Nothing how the examples I mentioned above are all about inequality. Nothing bad about these traditions!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

30,359 posts, read 19,994,195 times
Quote:
Well if you don't know, what exactly are you arguing?
Theliberalvoice seems to think someone is denying gays their rights. I would like to know what rights those would be.

"The people who deny gay people rights should be stopped in their tracks."

Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Theliberalvoice seems to think someone is denying gays their rights. I would like to know what rights those would be.

"The people who deny gay people rights should be stopped in their tracks."
I believe she also just stated what you asked for. Did you read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies