Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

As a father of an autistic child this is welcome and long over do news. Hopefully there will be quality control over the research and not another repeat of how the CDC used funding to cover up the connection between autism and certain immunizations.
My daughter is sever autistic. I like many parents would gladly trade my life for a way to make her normal, or at least functional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:30 PM

84 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, it isn't. This needs to be researched. You obviously don't deal with these kids in your day to day life. I do.
You're changing the subject. Why? It's not like you were calling for pure research. You were calling for politics as if research were a guaranteed result.

Quote:
Nice like Switzerland, who stays out of other people's affairs and has managed to stay out of wars.
How about you? You call for politics, which involves everybody no matter whose business it is.

Quote:
Lastly, why do you hate these kids? Why do you deny them much needed research to improve the quality of their lives?
Please...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:37 PM

84 posts, read 123,638 times
The key to this dilemma is to admit of a world where **not** everything is politics. Politics is absolutely a different world than charity. It's not charitable people like you who wag the political dog. The **political** trouble with research is that there are all kinds of things you can research, forever. We all have to do our best with the situations we are in to help ourselves and others, but politics on the other hand is usually about temptation and manipulation.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:02 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCC View Post
You're changing the subject. Why? It's not like you were calling for pure research. You were calling for politics as if research were a guaranteed result.
Sorry, I am calling for pure research here. Obama says it's going to happen. Someone has to pay for it and in this case it will be YOU! Gasp!

Quote:
How about you? You call for politics, which involves everybody no matter whose business it is.
Wow, you must be a conservative compassionist person right? Sans compassion.

Quote:
Please...
Hey, fair question. What IS your freaking problem you don't want the money spent to help these kids?

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As a father of an autistic child this is welcome and long over do news. Hopefully there will be quality control over the research and not another repeat of how the CDC used funding to cover up the connection between autism and certain immunizations.
My daughter is sever autistic. I like many parents would gladly trade my life for a way to make her normal, or at least functional.
I don't have a link to support this but I do remember the British researchers who suggested a correlation in 1999 retracted their original claim earlier this year. Anyone have any info?

Definitely needs more study.

I read that children have 48 doses of 16 different vaccines under the normal schedule by the time they are 6 years old. Can anyone provide a detailed list of this schedule and the disease or infection it is meant to prevent?

Apparently some docs are suggesting spacing the vaccines out more.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
$1B is maybe 10 smart bombs, or maybe less than one month's expense in Iraq.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
I'm all for Autism research, but NOT research that is tied into politics. Sure, some government incentive needs to be provided, but seeing as we already have enough monetary and economic issues, I don't see it happening any time in the next couple years.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Research has already shown that autism and any phases of it are gentically based and hard to pinpoint because more likely than not there is more than one gene associated with it. Vaccinations may be a trigger...not the cause. Certain foods may be a trigger, not the cause. Studies have been done on groups of un-vaxed kids and autistic behaviors still break through. Studies have been done on autistic children and "elimination diets" where children have improved, not been 100% cured.

It's a work in process, but is it truly "alarming"? No. Not based on the amount of autistic behaviors that were labeled as "retardation" (not Down Syndrome) years ago.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
I have Asperger's and it's nice to see someone who cares about us.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
We spend $10 billion a month in Iraq. I don't see why such important research isn't worth at least 1/10 what we spend on a war in one month, unless destroying lives is more important than saving them.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
$1B is maybe 10 smart bombs, or maybe less than one month's expense in Iraq.
Sorry, I missed your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies