U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 7,935,459 times
Reputation: 5985

Advertisements

With the Oscars coming up this weekend one of my main pet peeves is when the celebrities feel the need to share their political views about everything from Bush to the Iraq war. While I believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, I feel violated in my own home when these people use their celebrity status to push their agenda on the public. I'm not watching the Oscars, Emmys or their movies to know what they believe as a person. I'm watching the movie because it appeals to me. I think it's completely wrong for celebrities to abuse their status by doing this. I've gotten to a point where there are certain celebrities that I just can't watch their movies anymore because of what they stand for politically, who they back or what they support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
 
181 posts, read 641,364 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
With the Oscars coming up this weekend one of my main pet peeves is when the celebrities feel the need to share their political views about everything from Bush to the Iraq war. While I believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, I feel violated in my own home when these people use their celebrity status to push their agenda on the public. I'm not watching the Oscars, Emmys or their movies to know what they believe as a person. I'm watching the movie because it appeals to me. I think it's completely wrong for celebrities to abuse their status by doing this. I've gotten to a point where there are certain celebrities that I just can't watch their movies anymore because of what they stand for politically, who they back or what they support.
+1 for me on this issue. I would also add that anyone, be it a celebrity or not, should not be taken seriously about their criticism(s) unless they are also offering a basic solution of some kind to the problem(s) they are fervent about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,697 posts, read 3,125,542 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
With the Oscars coming up this weekend one of my main pet peeves is when the celebrities feel the need to share their political views about everything from Bush to the Iraq war. While I believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, I feel violated in my own home when these people use their celebrity status to push their agenda on the public. I'm not watching the Oscars, Emmys or their movies to know what they believe as a person. I'm watching the movie because it appeals to me. I think it's completely wrong for celebrities to abuse their status by doing this. I've gotten to a point where there are certain celebrities that I just can't watch their movies anymore because of what they stand for politically, who they back or what they support.
Just checking here- for every Alec Baldwin and Matt Damon, there is a Jim Caviezel and Patricia Heaton. Do you agree that they should keep quiet regardless of their views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 06:56 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,325,983 times
Reputation: 3319
I have to agree with something George Cloony said... He said that publications, etc. were always going to be following him around trying to get photos and sound bites so he might as well use the time to talk about things that mattered to him.

I don't blame him. If the public is going to be that interested in him, he should use the time to do something worthwhile. What else would he do? Talk about himself? And tell us what?

I really appreciate other celebrities that have tried to promoted good things too -- like Leonardo DiCaprio and his stance on saving the earth from global warming and pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 06:57 PM
 
9,715 posts, read 13,325,983 times
Reputation: 3319
The most popular celebrity the conservatives have is Brittney Spears... And what exactly is she telling us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 07:06 PM
 
Location: 78218
1,151 posts, read 3,104,297 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I have to agree with something George Cloony said... He said that publications, etc. were always going to be following him around trying to get photos and sound bites so he might as well use the time to talk about things that mattered to him.

I don't blame him. If the public is going to be that interested in him, he should use the time to do something worthwhile. What else would he do? Talk about himself? And tell us what?

I really appreciate other celebrities that have tried to promoted good things too -- like Leonardo DiCaprio and his stance on saving the earth from global warming and pollution.
And Branjelina. I like Brad Pitt now that he is with Anjelina Jolie. He seemed a lil too materialstic with Aniston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 07:19 PM
 
8,632 posts, read 9,175,704 times
Reputation: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The most popular celebrity the conservatives have is Brittney Spears... And what exactly is she telling us?
say what!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 07:27 PM
 
2,356 posts, read 2,644,884 times
Reputation: 864
I think everyone has a right to express their views. Celebrities are no different, and I don't feel they are abusing anything by expressing their views.

I do see where you are coming from, though, and I think the problem lies with the gullibility of the average American. I think the average American is a moron. People think that if Actor X thinks genetically modified beef is harmful, then wow, I'd better not eat it! If Actress Y condemns the Iraq war, then it must be wrong!

The fact is, Actor X and Actress Y don't know any more about genetically modified beef or the Iraq war than my dentist, my accountant, or my beer-drinking buddies. It's the average American's perception that 'celebrities are informed' that is the problem, not that celebrities have viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,697 posts, read 3,125,542 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I think everyone has a right to express their views. Celebrities are no different, and I don't feel they are abusing anything by expressing their views.

I do see where you are coming from, though, and I think the problem lies with the gullibility of the average American. I think the average American is a moron. People think that if Actor X thinks genetically modified beef is harmful, then wow, I'd better not eat it! If Actress Y condemns the Iraq war, then it must be wrong!

The fact is, Actor X and Actress Y don't know any more about genetically modified beef or the Iraq war than my dentist, my accountant, or my beer-drinking buddies. It's the average American's perception that 'celebrities are informed' that is the problem, not that celebrities have viewpoints.
Exactly. They have platforms. It's not realistic to expect all of them to not use it. Like anything else, it's up to the audience to decide whether or not the message is credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Maine
16,520 posts, read 20,787,501 times
Reputation: 19119
It honestly doesn't bother me. Celebrities are like any other citizen. It is not only their right, it is their duty, to speak their mind. Celebrities have an advantage that most of the rest of us don't in that they've got cameras point at them. But that's just the way it is.

If a celeb or anyone else says something you don't like, speak your mind back. Refute and argue and rant. Tell them they're wrong. But don't tell them to shut up. That's un-American.

Mark Twain once wrote:

Quote:
“In a republic, who is ‘the country?’ Is it the government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the government is merely a temporary servant: it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn’t. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

“Who, then, is ‘the country?’ Is it the newspaper? Is it the pulpit? Why, these are mere parts of the country, not the whole of it: they have not command, they have only their little share in the command.

“In a monarchy, the king and his family are the country; in a republic, it is the common voice of the people. Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak.

“It is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn’t. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may.

“If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country. Hold up your head, you have nothing to be ashamed of.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top