U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
 
695 posts, read 1,199,611 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm going to need you to explain what the double standard(s) is exactly.
Nice attempt at being coy.

So gay-bashers are - secretly - gay themselves.
By that logic, Christia-bashers are - secretly - Christians themselves.


See how easy that is? If it applies to one group of people, it HAS to apply to the other. Now... If you're going to say that's not true, you also have to admit that it's because you're operating with double standards. And that's hypocrisy.

 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
 
4,046 posts, read 5,320,841 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Nice attempt at being coy.
You're giving me too much credit (thanks...I guess). I really didn't know what you were talking about.

Quote:
So gay-bashers are - secretly - gay themselves.
By that logic, Christia-bashers are - secretly - Christians themselves.
I'm not seeing how being gay is comparable to being Christian. In the former, you have no choice, but in the latter, you do. You can be both, and both are labels that make people jump to conclusions about the person in question, but I don't see what else they have in common.

Quote:
See how easy that is? If it applies to one group of people, it HAS to apply to the other. Now... If you're going to say that's not true, you also have to admit that it's because you're operating with double standards. And that's hypocrisy.
Seriously, your logic doesn't make any sense. I simply don't believe that just because you're bashing people for being something doesn't automatically mean that you're protesting too much. It's not that general, and I think that believing it is would mean abandoning common sense altogether. If I hate someone for being a serial killer, that doesn't mean that I'm secretly a serial killer. This does not apply across the board, and there is no reason why it should. However, in this particular case (homosexuality), it seems to apply to many. The only other example I can think of is race. I've heard of people hiding that they are technically African-American, and being vehement racists in the process in an attempt to hide their identities (not recently).
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,096 posts, read 6,760,533 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I'd forgive him, he probably really was sorry. Karma's a ***** ... gee, I wouldn't say he deserves to die.
I did'nt say he deserved to die, I simply stated his KARMA came back to bite him, just as it has with the anti-gays in post #6.
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:30 PM
 
149 posts, read 155,331 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
You're giving me too much credit (thanks...I guess). I really didn't know what you were talking about.

I'm not seeing how being gay is comparable to being Christian. In the former, you have no choice, but in the latter, you do. You can be both, and both are labels that make people jump to conclusions about the person in question, but I don't see what else they have in common.

Seriously, your logic doesn't make any sense. I simply don't believe that just because you're bashing people for being something doesn't automatically mean that you're protesting too much. It's not that general, and I think that believing it is would mean abandoning common sense altogether. If I hate someone for being a serial killer, that doesn't mean that I'm secretly a serial killer. This does not apply across the board, and there is no reason why it should. However, in this particular case (homosexuality), it seems to apply to many. The only other example I can think of is race. I've heard of people hiding that they are technically African-American, and being vehement racists in the process in an attempt to hide their identities (not recently).
JefferySH's logic makes a lot of sense and he called you out on it. You instead play dumb and back peddle like crazy! Sorry BUB you cant have a double standard!
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
 
149 posts, read 155,331 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Good point.
Turn about is fair play, right?



And so it's logical to assume, isn't it, that the gays who openly bash and trash on Christians are - secretly - Christians themselves?
Right on brother
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
 
4,046 posts, read 5,320,841 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy27 View Post
JefferySH's logic makes a lot of sense and he called you out on it. You instead play dumb and back peddle like crazy! Sorry BUB you cant have a double standard!
Certainly I'm not getting some lesson in logic from you. Your posts are amusing at best.
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
 
4,046 posts, read 5,320,841 times
Reputation: 1523
Honestly, bringing up this whole "gays who bash Christians are secretly Christian" has the potential to be offensive, am I right? Surely Christians who are also gay get sick of reading posts on here that imply that the two are mutually exclusive?
 
Old 11-23-2008, 10:43 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,480 posts, read 74,374,114 times
Reputation: 47872
if this avalanche of posts are aspiring PR people wanting to work for the gay community, your posts are hurting that community. one poster has said something helpful. just one, today. asserting that the elderly lady that was assaulted by gays, had already knocked down a disabled gay protestor, pending confirmation of this assertion, this was a step forward and helpful.
 
Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,015 posts, read 4,996,004 times
Reputation: 798
Rather it makes me wonder why are half the topics on this board about gays?
 
Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 24,945,066 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if this avalanche of posts are aspiring PR people wanting to work for the gay community, your posts are hurting that community.
No. Some of us just like to participate and voice our opinions.

Your statement is quite cynical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top