U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 AM

433 posts, read 400,547 times

Advertisements

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=3193

So, pelosi will help- though she addresses what GM must do to succeed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 AM

4,048 posts, read 6,395,666 times
Before reading this article I thought Pelosi was on the side of the average American worker. I now see that she is just another overpaid politician who needs a glass belly button to see where she is going. She is so out of touch and misinformed that she is unaware that the UAW has been working with management and not against them for many years. One must realize, as the UAW understands, that without the Big 3 they don’t exist either. To be overbearing and unreasonable would spell their own doom as well as the respective company. The only thing I can agree with her is that the Big 3 are top heavy with extravagant salaries and perks that dwarfs labor and legacy costs.
Pelosi’s statement is reminiscent of the Reagan days when he fired the air traffic controllers. Could it be she is conspiring with the Big 3 to end union labor? If they can make the case to rid union labor the Big 3 could save a lot in manufacturing costs, and it would allow them to continue to reward their executives with salaries and perks that are nothing less than extreme. The middle class arose from the efforts of unions like the Teamsters and the UAW, etc. Currently there are many companies that have reneged on their promises. Workers gave these companies twenty, thirty, and more years and they were promised a decent pension and healthcare as a reward for their loyalty. Now these same companies who profited from these workers want to dump their obligations and do it with the blessings of our government. If they succeed every company in America will renege on their pension obligations and if that happens it may extend to government pensions as well.
I resent the fact that Pelosi said a about Detroit, “make better cars.” I have been driving American cars for a long time and I have never had a problem. The last cars I did have problems with were a Nissan that the frame rotten and my wife’s Toyota that had a unfixable electronic problem. Today I drive a small Ford SUV, I average 22mpg and have achieved as much as 25mpg on the road with this vehicle. I can drive this car 500 miles and get out and feel like I just got up from my living room chair. I also have the capacity to tow a boat, camper, or trailer. I am now approaching 100k miles and I have only done the recommended maintenance, replaced the tires, and one set of brakes. How much more should I expect Pelosi?
She sites labor costs as a factor and that the Big 3 can’t compete with foreign manufacturers. When gas hit $4 plus I decided to look at a smaller car. I considered Toyota, Honda and Ford high mileage cars, not hybrids. I found that all were rated about the same for gas mileage. Surprisingly, I found Toyota was priced higher that the Ford counterpart and Honda was up there too. I can see that Toyota, BMW, Honda all have labor costs that are about half of the Big 3 manufacturers. Why isn’t that reflected in the price? It cost less to build a Toyota, BMW, etc, but the retail is the same, or higher, as a Ford. Where is all that extra profit going? Back to Japan, or Korea, or Germany. American auto workers spend their money and pay taxes right here in the US.
Rep. Pelosi, I am very happy with my American made Ford vehicle made by skilled union hands.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies