U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,837,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Obama will not be able to do anymore than Bush unless he continues to destroy the enemy anywhere in the world. Obama may find himself in the same situation as Bush is in Iraq.
This is one of the most reasonable posts I've seen coming from the right but you need to take one more step here.

Obama IS going to be in the same situation as Bush come January, and stay the course is not, and has never been, an appropriate military strategy. The problem the left (save for pacifists) has had with the right is that after the problem is identified and agreed upon, the approach to solve problems defied all logic. Entering Iraq sold to the masses as being the perpetrators of 911 was a baldfaced lie. If we're going to war, it will be for the CORRECT reasons, going after the CORRECT people, with full knowledge and consent. We'll not allow passions to make us irrational. The american military is NOT a bunch of drunken yahoos. None of these criteria were met and have divided this country (deliberately).

Should we mean to impose justice upon the guilty parties we'd be pursuing surgical strikes with military elite professionals, leaving innocent citizens in a sovereign nation to continue self determination. Calling ourselves the humanitarian army of the world, we should be in darfur and china. Really think that's a wise foreign policy? We won't stop Rowanda genocide because they don't have oil??? Hypocritical foreign policy is not helping us out in UN negotiations.
Should we mean to call this a humanitarian action, we should be upfront and do it in the format of UN peacekeeping forces similar to bosnia/serb conflicts, not going it alone as the world police fostering the perception that bloodthirsty americans want revenge against the iraqi people, invoking the word CRUSADE in the middle east (christ on crutches!! what religious leaders were protesting??? Pope John Paul snubbed Bush, but it wasn't enough), nor pitting the world in a 'for us or against us' stance that entirely disrupts diplomatic channels and invites a climate of world war.

I think right and left have to go back to the last known place of agreement- terrorism is not acceptable anywhere. We've identified terrorists that directly pertain to us, we've only half heartedly confronted them in afghanistan, and disrupted Iraq through flawed strategy through lies have been forced to take on another nations civil war. Nobody agreed to fight another nations civil war. Right willing to admit that fact? How do you think we can solve things as they are where we are now? Can you articulate the best objectives and support your position with reason?

Left, and the rest of us 'other than right' are saying stuck on stupid doesn't work for us. We're also saying you don't represent the country all by yourself-- it includes the rest of us. Arrogance, divisive leadership, deliberate obfuscation... it harms everyone and disgraces the very foundation that makes this nation great. You've created a country club apart from the rest of us. Feeding right wing pundits with your attention who in turn fed you a steady diet of hatred toward your fellow americans. Time to get them some distemper shots or put them out of their ingrate misery. As things stand, they represent the right-- think long and hard about that situation. Something very foul has been thriving in republican party and needs purging. You cannot purge terrorism outside this country until you stop feeding terrorists inside the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,881,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
Karzai: Obama promises to fight terror in region - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081123/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan - broken link)

So much for bringing everyone home within 16 months ehh? I guess the voters never saw it coming?
LOL!!! I know you wish you could this one back...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:30 PM

262 posts, read 939,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
LOL!!! I know you wish you could this one back...
Lol I don't really care, I knew as soon as I posted anything even loosely interpretted to be bad about Obama, that I was placing my head on the chopping block. To be honest, I didn't like McCain either, I believe in having your own values and goals, rather than just pursuing the agenda of your party to make them happy. I will say that I'd rather get deployed to Afghanistan rather than Iraq, the weather is nicer there, and there's less sand to get everywhere. I agree with some of what he has said, and disagree with other stuff, I am both left and right wing dependant on the issues at hand. I believe the vote wasn't won by fine informed voters such as most if not all of the people posting in this thread. It was won by the mass of uninformed voters, including those that don't even speak english. Unfortunately for us, there in no empirical evidence to confirm or deny that. His campaign strategist was a genius, 100%.

And please don't start with the he's not CIC yet, we're talking about his plans, which is the step before action.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Karzai: Obama promises to fight terror in region - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081123/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan - broken link)

So much for bringing everyone home within 16 months ehh? I guess the voters never saw it coming?
Did you ever read a paper? He said over and over he wanted to send two more brigades to Afghanistan. Wow this says it all about Pain supporters.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,100,617 times
"you all"

I guess you forgot that Obama didn't win 100% of the popular vote.

I voted Green Party.

Plus not everyone is a single issue voter.

If we have to fight this war, I'd rather troops be in Afghanistan.
Of course the real war should be fought in countries where the money from our gas goes and goes to fund terrorists...but of course we can't fight them because we're too dependent on their oil.

http://www.iags.org/fuelingterror.html

http://www.iags.org/Korin_HFRC_052208.pdf

Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
"you all"

I guess you forgot that Obama didn't win 100% of the popular vote.

I voted Green Party.

Plus not everyone is a single issue voter.

If we have to fight this war, I'd rather troops be in Afghanistan.
Of course the real war should be fought in countries where the money from our gas goes and goes to fund terrorists...but of course we can't fight them because we're too dependent on their oil.

Fueling Terror

http://www.iags.org/Korin_HFRC_052208.pdf
I guess you didn't pass your reading class where you have to read between the lines, if you honestly thought I meant every single person on this forum voted for Obama.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Did you ever read a paper? He said over and over he wanted to send two more brigades to Afghanistan. Wow this says it all about Pain supporters.
I do read the paper occasionally, but I'd rather read the news online the day it was written. And 2 brigades is nowhere near 20,000 people. What is a Pain supporter? And if you meant Palin, where did I say I voted for her?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't pass your reading class where you have to read between the lines, if you honestly thought I meant every single person on this forum voted for Obama.
Oh trust me, I passed every single reading class with flying colors.
I read on a "college level" in the freakin' 5th grade.

As I said before, everyone is not a single issue voter.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Oh trust me, I passed every single reading class with flying colors.
I read on a "college level" in the freakin' 5th grade.

As I said before, everyone is not a single issue voter.
You're the one who tried to be a smart ass and bring up the semantics of "you all", and then stated that I was using it in the literal sense. The good news is, I believe you 100% about your reading level, it's just too bad that your vocabulary is stuck in college too. "freakin' "

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You're the one who tried to be a smart ass and bring up the semantics of "you all", and then stated that I was using it in the literal sense. The good news is, I believe you 100% about your reading level, it's just too bad that your vocabulary is stuck in college too. "freakin' "
Hey, I'm only 18.
Some college vocab is actually somewhat advance but eh...why show off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies